The Midlands Area Developments

The_sandlapper

The good thing about this type of development is that they can act as an anchor for future developments. Eventually the street grid can be better connected, and densities could potentially be increased. They are better set up for it than the standard cookie cutter suburb.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

Lexington is in the running for a new manufacturing facility that could invest as much as $100 million and employ as many as 500 workers, according to the company's president. Poly-America, based in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex area, is looking at a 105-acre tract at I-26 and I-77. Three other sites are under consideration, another one being in SC as well. The advantage that Lexington has is that the company already owns the site under consideration.

The company makes plastic bags, gardening products such as weed barriers and edging, plastic vapor barriers used in construction and waste-containment liners.

This would be a pretty big boost to the Midlands economy if this happens.

Lexington County lost out to Chester County on this one; the latter was pretty desperate, offering a whopping 70% tax credit to the company, compared to Lexington's 33% special source tax credit. I don't even know if it will be worth it for Chester County, although it will employ 400 people.

It's sad that I even remembered posting the original announcement almost a year ago! LOL

Lexington County lost out to Chester County on this one; the latter was pretty desperate, offering a whopping 70% tax credit to the company, compared to Lexington's 33% special source tax credit. I don't even know if it will be worth it for Chester County, although it will employ 400 people.

It's sad that I even remembered posting the original announcement almost a year ago! LOL

Giving away a 70% tax credit that seem pretty desperate to me. I think Chester will benefit more by this being their unemployment rate is extremely higher than Lexingtons.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

A mixed-use complex that will serve as a town center is being proposed for Blythewood. The center would be located on at least eight acres at Blythewood Road and Main Street and would consist of a carriage inn featuring 40 to 50 rooms, about 100,000 square feet of retail and office space, as many as 30 condominiums atop retail businesses, and a new town hall. The architecture would try to mimic a historic style. The present estimated price range of the projects is from $25 million to $30 million, although it could go higher.

A mixed-use complex that will serve as a town center is being proposed for Blythewood. The center would be located on at least eight acres at Blythewood Road and Main Street and would consist of a carriage inn featuring 40 to 50 rooms, about 100,000 square feet of retail and office space, as many as 30 condominiums atop retail businesses, and a new town hall. The architecture would try to mimic a historic style. The present estimated price range of the projects is from $25 million to $30 million, although it could go higher.

I think that the contemporary architectural styles are generally attractive. I lilke the large cylinders that tend to anchor the corners of certain styles. I dont' think that a "faux" history is acceptable, but that doesn't mean you can't build with a style that doesn't blend in wiht the surroundings.

• 2 months later...

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

A four-story hotel will be part of a new conference center in downtown Lexington. Plans call for the project to open by fall 2010. It would include a 72-room hotel, meeting halls totaling 12,000 square feet, parking for 300 vehicles, restaurants and shops.

583-A1lexrender27.standalone.prod_affiliate.74.jpg

Looks pretty nice. I think it will be a good fit for downtown Lexington. I only hope that the front side will be more interactive for pedestrians once built.

Archived