SC Cities Daytime population

The_sandlapper

Jeez...I think we all can agree that the county #s are wrong, but they are just a rough, rough guestimate on how much the county population might increase each day. The only thing that we cannot concretely factor in is the # of county residents who leave the county completely for work each day or how many arrive from outside to work in the county.

If people look at the city increase %s (13.1, 13.0, and 9.5) then it appears that Greenville County is the smallest to some people, while the total pop. proves otherwise.

You just gotta be able to read and understand what statistics may or may not infer?

EXAMPLE:

Greenville (city) is the least populated of the 3...BUT is also the smallest in size by land.

That makes Greenville's population equate to like 2000+ people per square mile while Columbia and Charleston are closer to 900+.

Greenville = fewer people total in city

Greenville = highest density of people (crammed into 24sq. mi)

All I know is I could care doodley on largest this, or most that, because none of it takes away the Woodruff Rd. Warriors and my headaches...

You're forgetting that 84 of Columbia's 125 or so square miles are Fort Jackson. Most of Columbia's population is in less than 40 square miles. Oops! Sorry, I just ready Krazee's similar post.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyways, Greenville is a dense city, no doubt. Think about all of the infill projects that are occuring on top of what already is not sparcely populated. Augusta Rd is very dense- and yet they are still SQUEEZING more houses onto every last inch of land that can be subdivided. North Main is very dense as well and they continue to build there too. Verdae is a big section of the city that is undeveloped and that's all about to change. My prediction is that Greenville will hit between 66,000 and 70,000 by the 2010 census! :thumbsup: That's with very little annexation, too. Fore the record, Greenville will keep its 4th position in the state's largest cities category.

Anyways, Greenville is a dense city, no doubt. Think about all of the infill projects that are occuring on top of what already is not sparcely populated. Augusta Rd is very dense- and yet they are still SQUEEZING more houses onto every last inch of land that can be subdivided. North Main is very dense as well and they continue to build there too. Verdae is a big section of the city that is undeveloped and that's all about to change. My prediction is that Greenville will hit between 66,000 and 70,000 by the 2010 census! :thumbsup: That's with very little annexation, too. Fore the record, Greenville will keep its 4th position in the state's largest cities category.

Yeah...It's gonna stay behind Rock Hill unless it starts annexing....There city limits are growing twice as fast it seems like

According to City Data:

Columbia: +68,219 (+58.7%) = 184,550

Charleston: +32,526 (+33.7%) =137,402

North Charleston: +32,052 (+40.2%) = 116,326

Greenville: +54,511 (+97.3%) = 110,802

Finally, someone answered my question. Thanks man! Well, if Charleston and the north city merged, my hometown would have the largest daytime population. I need to run for mayor and do it...

Lots of things! :D Actually, with working on my masters full-time and working full-time along with being a newlywed, I've got a full plate right now. Once I graduate and if I move down to Charleston, I will be thinking about running for City Council soon after. Once I get some experience in city leadership with the council, I think I would run for mayor. One thing is for sure...as mayor, I would push an initiative to merge the 2 cities, no matter what!

You're forgetting that 84 of Columbia's 125 or so square miles are Fort Jackson. Most of Columbia's population is in less than 40 square miles. Oops! Sorry, I just ready Krazee's similar post.

No I'm not forgetting...I actually never knew that little tidbit. Thanks you two for the quick education!

:thumbsup:

Can someone update me on where the city of Greenville stands with their desire to annex the Taylors area?

Last I heard it was not the entrie Taylors area, just the land that is inbetween the current city limits and Taylors. Its a large tract of land for Greenville, but not in the grander scheme of things.

My only issue with using the county's data was that it isnt an accurate respresentation of the city. Thats all. The data are perfectly acceptable in the larger discussion, but it came off to me as though they were trying to be represented as what is going on with the city. Thats all. Sorry for being confusing and an ass about it :)

I hear ya on the full-time graduate school and full-time employment thing; my scenario as well (we can hold off on being a newlywed for a few more years ;)).

Sometimes I wonder how people can do both things full-time and remain sane. :shok: Well, I just started a graduate assistant job that will reduce my hours, so I'm actually feeling a little less stressed now. Don't hold off on being a newlywed too long. It is a wonderful thing!

The article in The Greenville News about the city's daytime increase said that because of the number of people who are in the city during the day and that the city's population is so small that they might ask the county (?) for money to help pay for police and EMS... etc, because they all get used by the influx of people but they don't directly pay for it with their taxes. So, i was wondering if you guys thought that this was actually possible for the city to get from the county <_< or whatever your thoughts might be. And do other cities do this???

Archived