Pictures from Clarksville, TN

Rural King

I went downtown Clarksville a "couple-three" years ago to see what all was there. I took a few pictures with my old advance film camera. These a few I scanned out of the ones I took on that hot hazy day on my brief stop downtown.

Downtown

Downtown-vi.jpg

MainStreet-vi.jpg

Court House/City Hall in the distance

Courthouse2-vi.jpg

Some of the buildings on Court Square.

CourtSquare-vi.jpg

Montgomery County Court House adn City Hall - I think.

MontgomeryCoCourthouse-vi.jpg

Downtown mural

Mural-vi.jpg

The old Roxy Theatre

Roxy-vi.jpg

The historic "Customs House"

CustomHouse-vi.jpg

A nice old church

Church-vi.jpg

Nope this isn't the Congo or the Amazon River Basin....its the Cumberland River. Look at all that haze. Just looks hot don't it?

CumberlandRiver-vi.jpg

Thats all. The forum doesn't see many Clarksville related threads so I thought I'd post one. It is definately a nice growing city with a very historic and interesting downtown thats worth a visit if anyone ever has the chance.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have thought they may have a midrise like Murfreesboro has by now. It is a nice small city. Thanks for the pics!

Clarksville sits in the middle of a karst region. That is, there are so many sinkholes in this area, large, tall buildings are not feasible. Sinkholes are formed when the underground caverns collapse. The Austin Peay campus has several sinkholes and incorporates them into the campus layout.

By the way, the Clarksville population is well over 100,000 although that includes Ft Campbell population. The Clarksville-Hopkinsville metro area is approaching 250,000.

Let's go Peay!

Clarksville sits in the middle of a karst region. That is, there are so many sinkholes in this area, large, tall buildings are not feasible. Sinkholes are formed when the underground caverns collapse. The Austin Peay campus has several sinkholes and incorporates them into the campus layout.

By the way, the Clarksville population is well over 100,000 although that includes Ft Campbell population. The Clarksville-Hopkinsville metro area is approaching 250,000.

Let's go Peay!

LOL! I love Clarks-Vegas. Great thread.

I doubt that Urban development is the first thought of the Clarksville Council right now. They are more focused on the (supposed) corruption of the police department. All in all, Clarksville is a great place for a young family to be. It has all you need and isn't far from the "bigger" cities too.

Nice pictures. I like the older building facades in the town. That mural looks beautiful.

I'd be interested to see how that Austin Peay campus incorporates the sinkholes into it's campus.

Thanks for posting the pics.

APSU is great because it really is a part of downtwon Clarksville. Some pics of that area would be great.

I would like to add my thanks as well for the posting of Clarksville pictures. When I was younger, I used to go thru Clarksville pretty often when visiting my Grandparents who lived in Stewart County about 20 miles past Clarksville. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to go back for a long time.

Thanks for the nice and postive replies everyone. They are appreciated. :D

@ Hankster - Were your grandparents from Dover? Or out in the county?

I go through Stewart sometimes on the way to Nashville via US 79 on over to Clarksville, which is the way I went the day I took these pics; but sometimes I'll take the real scenic route by turning off at Dover and going south through Houston Co. (Erin, Tennessee Ridge) down to Dickson to get on US 70 which becomes Charlotte Pike on down the line. Stewart and Houston are neat places to go through as they are holdovers of what alot of rural Tennessee used to be like. Neat places to visit if anyone ever has the opportunity.

Thanks for the nice and postive replies everyone. They are appreciated. :D

@ Hankster - Were your grandparents from Dover? Or out in the county?

I go through Stewart sometimes on the way to Nashville via US 79 on over to Clarksville, which is the way I went the day I took these pics; but sometimes I'll take the real scenic route by turning off at Dover and going south through Houston Co. (Erin, Tennessee Ridge) down to Dickson to get on US 70 which becomes Charlotte Pike on down the line. Stewart and Houston are neat places to go through as they are holdovers of what alot of rural Tennessee used to be like. Neat places to visit if anyone ever has the opportunity.

Oh man, now we're talking about the little towns I used to run around in when I was in High School (Dickson). Great pics of Clarksville btw, I have a lot of family there. I think the tallest building is the Ramada Riverview Hotel, which would be a great conversion into something a little more upscale like say, Doubletree or Radisson - if the market could handle it.

^ I believe you are right. I think the Ramada Riverview is the tallest downtown. It has a fantastic view of the Cumberland River, which is a huge asset IMO for Clarksville. The view from downtown of the river basin is fantastic.

I think downtown Clarksville as the city grows will pick up more and more with revitalizations and new ventures downtown. With over 100K in population now and a great growth rate Clarksville is going to see alot of good developments in the coming years more than likely.

Nice pictures. I like the older building facades in the town. That mural looks beautiful.

I'd be interested to see how that Austin Peay campus incorporates the sinkholes into it's campus.

Thanks for posting the pics.

They are called the bowls and I think there are 2 in the middle of campus. One is just a green area and the other is used for Outdoor Theatre and other events.

Archived