Jackson, MS 2005

Rural King

Jackson, MS

Let me start off by saying this: WOW!!!!!!

Jackson is so awesome for a small city. I really was impressed by how clean, orderly, urban, and friendly the city was. Now it's certainly no urban Mecca, but it has very vibrant downtown which is bustling during the day. I doubt at night it's nearly as active and takes on the attributes of a much smaller sleepier city, but during the day it has a quite cosmopolitan feel downtown. I would suggest anyone who has the opportunity to stop in and visit this superb little city.

These photos were taken during a quick stop (1h 15min) on my way home from Louisiana.

JacksonMs0001-vi.jpg

JacksonMs0002-vi.jpg

The Mississippi State Museum

JacksonMs0005-vi.jpg

The Mississippi State Archives Building and the Mississippi State War Memorial

JacksonMs0006-vi.jpg

Standard Oil Building

JacksonMs0007-vi.jpg

JacksonMs0008-vi.jpg

JacksonMs0009-vi.jpg

JacksonMs0010-vi.jpg

JacksonMs0011-vi.jpg

JacksonMs0013-vi.jpg

This Mississippi state office tower strangely reminds me of a smaller version of State of Tennessee??s Snodgrass Office Tower.

JacksonMs0015-vi.jpg

The Mississippi State Capitol is simply fanatastic!!

JacksonMs0017-vi.jpg

JacksonMs0020-vi.jpg

JacksonMs0023-vi.jpg

JacksonMs0025-vi.jpg

A very impressive looking Mississippi state office tower.

JacksonMs0026-vi.jpg

JacksonMs0030-vi.jpg

The very new and very nice Department of Transportation office tower. It is clear that funding does not seem to be an issue when it comes to Mississippi roads or the office tower that houses those who manage them.

JacksonMs0029-vi.jpg

JacksonMs0032-vi.jpg

JacksonMs0031-vi.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW!! The Marriot!!!

JacksonMs0036-vi.jpg

The old Central High School, now the offices of the Department of Education.

JacksonMs0037-vi.jpg

JacksonMs0038-vi.jpg

JacksonMs0039-vi.jpg

JacksonMs0040-vi.jpg

JacksonMs0041-vi.jpg

Hey what's that neat looking tower.........

JacksonMs0042-vi.jpg

The really awesome old Greyhound Bus station.

JacksonMs0043-vi.jpg

There's that tower again.......

JacksonMs0044-vi.jpg

Gee golley!!!!! Real-life skyscrapers!!!! Several at that!!!

JacksonMs0045-vi.jpg

JacksonMs0046-vi.jpg

JacksonMs0048-vi.jpg

Mmm..... the King Edward Hotel has seem much better days.:(

JacksonMs0049-vi.jpg

The Standard Life Tower. I really like this tower? IMO it's a superb design and really fits the city well. I wish Memphis had this tower!!!! It would fit in so well there too.

JacksonMs0050-vi.jpg

JacksonMs0051-vi.jpg

JacksonMs0053-vi.jpg

Isn't the Standard Life Tower just awesome!!!!

JacksonMs0054-vi.jpg

JacksonMs0055-vi.jpg

JacksonMs0057-vi.jpg

JacksonMs0058-vi.jpg

Jackson Central Post Office

JacksonMs0060-vi.jpg

JacksonMs0061-vi.jpg

Governor's Mansion

JacksonMs0064-vi.jpg

JacksonMs0062-vi.jpg

The other gem of Jackson, Mississippi, The Lamar Life Insurance Building!! I thought it would be a good image to end the thread on.

JacksonMs0066-vi.jpg

So I hope everyone enjoyed the thread!!!

12:19 Oct 23 Edit: Had to split the thread to edit some typos, could not remerge it.

It's been a few years since I last saw Jackson, MS (my dad grew up along the coast Mississippi, so we'd go to Jackson for a day or so whenever we went down there). A lot of it is just the same as I remember, going by these pictures. Beautiful town.

Thanks for posting the pics, they were great. :) Those roads need a little work done on them.

• 2 months later...

Jackson has seemed to do better keeping it's older/historical bldgs than alot of other cities similar in size. I like the Marriott in the middle of downtown ! Jackson has a nice ,compact downtown area ! Still hard to believe being Mississippi's largest city,it does not have the State's tallest building.

I was in Jackson for the first time in December, just stopped through for a night on my way to New Orleans and loved it. Its much more hip than I could have imagined--we ate at a really cool Greek restaurant just outside of the CBD and went to a coffee shop further up the main road which was packed. I got a great vibe from the city.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived