St Joe Introduces WhiteFence Farms

Florida

The St Joe Company, plans to convert 373 acres into a community of over 35 Ranch Style Homes for Horse Owners, and those seeking to get closer to nature, calling it WhiteFence Farms. Concept is being called new ruralism, but it sounds more like sprawl to me. It will be located east of Southwood at the intersection of Old St. Augustine Road and Williams Road.

Here's the Article

Also in the Pipeline: A New Southern Living Idea house, which will be featured in the August 2006 issue of the Southern Living Magazine.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where I lived from 2002-2005. R.I.P tru tallahassee charm of the East side. i reported of the infill developments. there are three subdivisions, and now this on one of the most picturesque points in the whole area. I am sad. But at the very least, it is designed to maintain some of the Nature parts... hopefully it will bring up the value of the property my loving landlords own off williams.

• 3 months later...

Interesting.....I found this on Mad Dog's website while looking for information about the Bradfordville hotel project. I would have thought that St. Joe Development would have served as their own project manager on this:

After interviews with Mad

Dog and a number of other

companies, St. Joe Land

Company selected our firm to

manage the construction of

the first project in their new

WhiteFence Farms on Red

Hills development. With

Curtis Whigham as project

manager and Bill Brown as

superintendent, this exciting

project will demand all their

talents. Located near the

intersection of Old Saint

Augustine Road and Williams

Road, the project consists of

an

Wow....they must be bookin' on the construction of this "farm" house. I haven't been out there to see it but according to the article below, they'll be giving tours soon.

Tour of new St. Joe home benefits TMH

Tickets will soon go on sale to tour one of the houses at WhiteFence Farms, St. Joe's newest housing development in southeast Tallahassee. It will be finished this spring. Southern Living, The Progressive Farmer and St. Joe Company are joint sponsors for a charity event that will benefit Tallahassee Memorial Hospital. Tickets: $5 at the door.

i was trying to find the thread where we were talking about the centerville plantation/neighborhood thing that is going in at centerville and pisgah, but couldnt find it. so, i decided to post the link to the neighborhood here. im not sure if this link was in the other thread. if it was, sorry for reposting.

anyways, i drove down pisgah today just to look at the property again, and i love it. if they are still selling lots by the time i graduate pharmacy school, that is where i will be living.

here is the link to the centerville plantation: http://www.centerville-florida.com

i was trying to find the thread where we were talking about the centerville plantation/neighborhood thing that is going in at centerville and pisgah, but couldnt find it. so, i decided to post the link to the neighborhood here. im not sure if this link was in the other thread. if it was, sorry for reposting.

anyways, i drove down pisgah today just to look at the property again, and i love it. if they are still selling lots by the time i graduate pharmacy school, that is where i will be living.

here is the link to the centerville plantation: http://www.centerville-florida.com

I was looking into this community too. (It was how I found this Forum :) ) However, this was on thier site:

"The lifestyle of this gated community is unparalleled. Never before has anything like this been available in North Florida. It is unquestionable that this will be the premier community in NE Leon County. Construction is scheduled to begin in January at which time the roads, Lake House, barn, gates, and other amenities will be underway. We launched our "friends and family" release this spring, by invitation only. We sold all 86 of the homesites in the release in only seven hours." -Booth Properties

Edited to clairify who said what...

We?

I think that was a quote from the Centerville Conservation Community owner/manager that DaiDreamer was referencing on how quickly the lots sold out when they initially had an "invitation only" preview & sales/reservation event last year. It will become a premier community & I'm glad to see it happening in our area but it's too rich for my blood. Although, one day in the future I will probably look back & say "remember when I could have bought property in the Centerville Conservation Community for only $$$" It's all relative.

I see. For a second I was thinking DaiDreamer was with Booth. In which case I was going to probe about the BP station plans.

Oh, OK...I see. I didn't read it that way but maybe I perceived the response incorrectly. DaiDreamer, can you clarify for us, please? Do you work with Booth or some other development company? :huh:

DaiDreamer was quoting text from the Centerville Plantation website. "We" is the development company.

I like the looks of this development. For Tallahassee to grow it needs wealth in the city center AND wealth in the suburbs. One would assume that the individuals who can afford such homes as those planned for Centerville Plantation will be positioned to invest in local business and provide a market to higher-end dining and retail interests. It may be a shame that we cannot afford to live in such a neighborhood, but having it nearby can only elevate the cultural and commercial cache of the region.

As far as the Centerville Plantation development goes, I wish it were not a gated community. I've never been a fan of gated communities. I guess that comes from spending too much time in South Florida where everything is gated it seems. That is one of my favorite things about Southwood, it's not gated.

For some reason I picture this Centerville Plantation in mind as a bunch of quasi-rich bubbas running around each other's backyards in camoflauge gear on ATV's hunting for deer, quail and squirrels. "Little Jimmy killed his first deer right next to Billy Bob's hot tub and grazed his Hummer w/the bullet.......git-r-done!"

You couldn't give me one of these lots, well yeah you could, but I'd sell it off fast. But as they as Different Strokes for Different Folks!

As far as the Centerville Plantation development goes, I wish it were not a gated community. I've never been a fan of gated communities. I guess that comes from spending too much time in South Florida where everything is gated it seems. That is one of my favorite things about Southwood, it's not gated.

For some reason I picture this Centerville Plantation in mind as a bunch of quasi-rich bubbas running around each other's backyards in camoflauge gear on ATV's hunting for deer, quail and squirrels. "Little Jimmy killed his first deer right next to Billy Bob's hot tub and grazed his Hummer w/the bullet.......git-r-done!"

You couldn't give me one of these lots, well yeah you could, but I'd sell it off fast. But as they as Different Strokes for Different Folks!

The picture you paint is quite possible. Frankly it seems like Booth is copying StJoe or the vice versa. I'll go with the first. It seems like this conservation community is no more than a place holder for future developent as most of the land will be "sat aside" for greenspace. We'll see. It seem like it would be an attractive community if open for us all to enjoy. What good is government regulating the developer to set aside green space if ithe public isn't welcome to enjoy it? Dumb question, I know. You may have a second to your opinions in me, Poonther.

• 1 month later...

White Fence Farms-Red Hills - I had the opportunity to tour this acreage while working on a project with the St Joe Company yesterday and it is some absolutely gorgeous land! Lot's of beautiful oaks, wild dogwoods & even a few native looking palms closer to the Old St Augustine Road side of the property. (Poonther will be happy to hear that! :) ) Lot's of wildlife too, turkey in particular. The Southern Living farmhouse they're building out here is huge & sits right above a nice clear pond. I sure don't see how it will be ready anytime soon but they say it will be....maybe they're working 24/7....I didn't ask. The only access right now is a dirt/gravel construction road off Williams Rd just South of Old St. Augustine Rd. The main entrance for "White Fence Farms-Red Hills" will eventually be off Old St Augustine Road & possibly, one day way off in the distant future, could tie in with future areas of the "SouthWood" development as it expands East after developing everything to the North. That is all very premature & way off in the distant future, 10-15 years or more, at this point though.

I also learned that the "Walton Corners" project we saw on the earlier St Joe graphic is a future development around the intersections of Tram Rd. & W.W. Kelly/Old Plank Road. Being unfamiliar with this location, I drove out there to check it out. Sure enough, there is an official looking green city limits type of sign on the South side of Tram Road just past Old Plank Rd that designates the area as the "Walton Community" & says it was established in March, 1903 or something like that. St. Joe Co. owns the land on 3 sides of this particular intersection. This project is in the very preliminary planning stages at this point. There is quite a bit of new home construction already going on just North of this intersection by Turner Heritage Homes. I was really surprised to see all the new construction activity that's already going on that far out. While out that way, I also ran across another new development just a little further East on Tram Road called "Fox Hollow Farms". It is being advertised as a gated (yuck) equestrian community of homes on 10-12 acre lots each at roughly 16k per acre. Never been out that far on Tram Road before & finally turned around at the Jefferson County line.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the basics about what is on the table.

60-65 lots of about 3-6 acres (Depends on what the land will let them build, since there's a bunch of environmental issues that St Joe has to work around)

One entrance into project at present (Williams Road, since access to a canopy road (Old St Augustine) is restricted ) but Project will connect into future projects (future phases) to the west and south of the project on land owned by St. Joe

Series of pedestrian and horse trails connects parks and grazing fields for horses and residents living in development.

The public that attended the meeting spoke favorably of the project, especially in comparison to other projects proposed in the vicinity

Here's the basics about what is on the table.

60-65 lots of about 3-6 acres (Depends on what the land will let them build, since there's a bunch of environmental issues that St Joe has to work around)

One entrance into project at present (Williams Road, since access to a canopy road (Old St Augustine) is restricted ) but Project will connect into future projects (future phases) to the west and south of the project on land owned by St. Joe

Series of pedestrian and horse trails connects parks and grazing fields for horses and residents living in development.

The public that attended the meeting spoke favorably of the project, especially in comparison to other projects proposed in the vicinity

Thanks for the update on the White Fence Farms-Red Hills project, psycuda! This is some absolutely gorgeous property. I'm surprised at the proposed density you mention because I'd previously been told by a St Joe employee in their Development Division that this project would have about 40-45 homes with lots averaging 10 acres or so with a few being slightly larger. They've obviously adjusted their plan slightly. While at this site a few weeks ago I did see a main road being staked out by surveyors. They told me they were surveying/staking a proposed 4 lane road that would be a future entrance to the project & that it would tie in with future SouthWood development to the West. Just pure speculation on my part here but maybe the new Orange Avenue extension will one day come all the way across & out to this development. I'm actually glad to hear that they won't be allowed to have access to/from Old St Augustine Road due to it's canopy road status.

• 1 month later...

Its amazing that 3 acres in Leon County are going for $200,000. When my father brought his property 16 years ago it was only $30,000. Its amazing how times and prices change.

That is what 1/2 an acre is going for now in parts of Southwood.

Land, they stopped making it.

Archived