Talkin Trash

Florida

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thus far today I've written Mayor, City Commission, City Manager, Dr. Ammons (FAMU) & Dr. Wetherell (FSU): I recieved a response from the City Manager informing me that there will be a Super Clean Sweep event this weekend. I figure this could be a great opportunity for us to get out and involved in the Clean Up of the community. Keep Tallahassee Leon County Beautiful, the organization that sponsors these events has offered to supply us with resources for as often as we choose to get out and do our litter pickups. My desire is to do them weekly... choosing a specific area to target and knocking it out on Saturday mornings. Anyone here interested in joining me this weekend? Or ever?

GREAT NEWS!

Complainants can now report a violation via the City's Code Enforcement Hotline @ 891-CODE (2633), or use our City-Wide Trouble Reporting System. I just used the Trouble Reporting System to report a case of illegal dumping on my street and it was simple and quick. If you know of any violations in your neighborhoods, please, please use the system to report them! Thanks everyone! ^_^

You are a man w/a mission FL! I'd much rather join you in your clean-up this weekend, even at that early hour, than attend the four parties crammed into this weekend for me up in Columbia, SC in honor of my nephew's engagement. The place will be crawling w/Southern Belle's, Junior Leaguers and Sorority Girls and as you guys know, my rash acts up if I'm exposed to those types too long.... :lol: "Move outta the way Muffy, you and your big hair are blocking my way to the bar!"

And they are serving "snacks" at Lake Ella at 7:30am? Who wants snacks at that hour, I want coffee and breakfast!

I just entered the Code Enforcement number into cell!

Well I don't want you to get a rash up there... so you ought to come with me.

Entering Code Enforcement # into your phone sounds like a good idea. I'll follow you and do the same thing... great idea. That way, driving down the road if I see something I can dial them up and report it.

UPdate {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Talkin' Trash

Super Clean Sweep

This weekend, I participated in the annual Super Clean Sweep event and took Tharpe Street as an assignment. My task began at Ocala Rd. and terminated at Capital Circle NW. A very long stretch, especially for one person. I began around 7:45am Saturday, at the intersection of Tharpe and Ocala, and around 3:00 my legs nearly gave out as I finished the project. I was able to bag 300 gallons of trash on my own, that's filling 10 large, 30 gallon bags. Imagine what a team of people could accomplish in the same amount of time. The litter problem along our streets is worse than I previously thought. What we did this weekend only begins to scratch the surface, and to make matters worse, the very same street that I personally plucked all of that litter from this past Saturday, had numerous other pieces on it this morning as I drove to work. As discouraging as it was to see more litter on the streets this morning, its all the more reason to get involved and active in making a difference. I'd love it if some of you all would join me next time. I plan to become active with CONA (Council of Neighborhood Associations) soon, perhaps I can speak with them about taking more pride in our community as well!

Wow FL, that is just incredible...and you did it by yourself? Wow! It wears me out just driving that stretch of Tharpe, I can image how you felt walking it. Good thing it was an early spring day and not the heat of summer or we would have found you passed out.

Did you have any trouble w/folks trying to run over you? Just curious I walk a lot in this town and people have no respect for pedestrians here and I'm sure it was especially tricky where you were w/out sidewalks and some of those ditches.

Again that is just incredible what you did.

Ah CONA land of the NIMBY's. Generally as a rule I've found out they tend to be against everything. Yes I know they want to protect neighborhoods and they should, but they don't like in-fill much and increasing densities in the core. To me, they promote sprawl. Funny that you might join them...now that I'm on the Lafayette Park board, I've asked to be our rep. to CONA so maybe I change some of the fear that I feel emits from that group.

Wow FL, that is just incredible...and you did it by yourself? Wow! It wears me out just driving that stretch of Tharpe, I can image how you felt walking it. Good thing it was an early spring day and not the heat of summer or we would have found you passed out.

Did you have any trouble w/folks trying to run over you? Just curious I walk a lot in this town and people have no respect for pedestrians here and I'm sure it was especially tricky where you were w/out sidewalks and some of those ditches.

Again that is just incredible what you did.

Ah CONA land of the NIMBY's. Generally as a rule I've found out they tend to be against everything. Yes I know they want to protect neighborhoods and they should, but they don't like in-fill much and increasing densities in the core. To me, they promote sprawl. Funny that you might join them...now that I'm on the Lafayette Park board, I've asked to be our rep. to CONA so maybe I change some of the fear that I feel emits from that group.

Just me and the Lord... but mainly because I found out about the event with short notice to put a group together. The weather Saturday was beautiful. Drivers were surprisingly polite, I didn't have any problems, of course I was wearing a loud blue shirt with a Orange reflective vest. I'm going to do my own street this evening when I get off work... its a small street so it shouldn't take long. This may actually become a hobby of mine looking forward.

Imagine both of us getting active with CONA and trying to change some minds. Either we succeed and more infill development is allowed to move along OR they'll put us on the bar-b-que!!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

UPdate {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Meeting with Dee Crumpler

March 17, 2008

I'm just writing to let you all know that Mr. Dee Crumpler came out to my job today to exchange Neighborhood Beautification ideas with me. He brought along with him to young ladies (Andrea Griffin & Debra Thomas) both Neighborhood Services Coordinators to speak with me as well. They gave me an opportunity to say my piece. I probably did more trembling than anything, but in the process I told them about an idea to launch a:

Median adoption program: whereby a Tallahassee company would adopt and maintain a median in selected areas of the city (hopefully areas in the South and West corners), they would be asked to keep the grass cut, and employ some landscaping and what/not throughout the year. Then at the end of the year a "Best Kept" median would be chosen and the sponsor of said median would receive recognition and a reward. Each median sponsor would have the opportunity to display a small wooden plaque advertising their business on their respective median. They thought that was a good idea.

Then they shared with me some great ideas of their own:

Neighborhood Scout Program: Any interested citizen could sign up to become a Neighborhood Scout for your neighborhood. This person would go through a 2-hour training program on the rules, and procedures designed to ensure our neighborhoods are kept clean. Then this person would be empowered to address violations on their own by writing Neighborhood Patrol citations (ex. a car is on blocks in front of a house on your street. rather than getting the city involved, the Neighborhood scout would visit the house and leave a "note" with the property owner making them aware of the violation, and a carbon copy of that note would be sent back to the neighborhood and community services department for their records). The hope in this would be to give people a chance to address their code enforcement issues before the city gets involved and imposes fines and such. I could see myself doing this and having a buddy follow me with a video camera to make a Reno 911 style tv show out of this. I'd post the episodes on youtube or something! (just kidding!)

Community Shed Project: This project would involve building a shed with adequate space for citizens who desire to do community services in our community, but lack the resources to do so (rakes, shovels, litter grabbers, trash bags, lawn mowers, trimmers and such) a location to go to and pick up those items free of charge.

I'd like to know if either of the two programs above sound interesting to any of you. And if they do, I'm also curious if any of you want to go through the 2-hour Neighborhood Scout training program with me?

UPdate {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Meeting with Dee Crumpler

March 17, 2008

I'm just writing to let you all know that Mr. Dee Crumpler came out to my job today to exchange Neighborhood Beautification ideas with me. He brought along with him to young ladies (Andrea Griffin & Debra Thomas) both Neighborhood Services Coordinators to speak with me as well. They gave me an opportunity to say my piece. I probably did more trembling than anything, but in the process I told them about an idea to launch a:

Median adoption program: whereby a Tallahassee company would adopt and maintain a median in selected areas of the city (hopefully areas in the South and West corners), they would be asked to keep the grass cut, and employ some landscaping and what/not throughout the year. Then at the end of the year a "Best Kept" median would be chosen and the sponsor of said median would receive recognition and a reward. Each median sponsor would have the opportunity to display a small wooden plaque advertising their business on their respective median. They thought that was a good idea.

Then they shared with me some great ideas of their own:

Neighborhood Scout Program: Any interested citizen could sign up to become a Neighborhood Scout for your neighborhood. This person would go through a 2-hour training program on the rules, and procedures designed to ensure our neighborhoods are kept clean. Then this person would be empowered to address violations on their own by writing Neighborhood Patrol citations (ex. a car is on blocks in front of a house on your street. rather than getting the city involved, the Neighborhood scout would visit the house and leave a "note" with the property owner making them aware of the violation, and a carbon copy of that note would be sent back to the neighborhood and community services department for their records). The hope in this would be to give people a chance to address their code enforcement issues before the city gets involved and imposes fines and such. I could see myself doing this and having a buddy follow me with a video camera to make a Reno 911 style tv show out of this. I'd post the episodes on youtube or something! (just kidding!)

Community Shed Project: This project would involve building a shed with adequate space for citizens who desire to do community services in our community, but lack the resources to do so (rakes, shovels, litter grabbers, trash bags, lawn mowers, trimmers and such) a location to go to and pick up those items free of charge.

I'd like to know if either of the two programs above sound interesting to any of you. And if they do, I'm also curious if any of you want to go through the 2-hour Neighborhood Scout training program with me?

I think they're all great ideas FL! While the neighborhood scout idea seems like something I would be very interested in doing on a normal basis, it wouldn't really work with my current employment situation...aside from not earning me any brownie points with my already uptight neighbors! :rolleyes:

How would the neighborhood shed idea work exactly? I love the concept but it would need some sort of monitoring/upkeep, might get expensive?

The neighborhood "scout" program rubs me completely the wrong way. Citizen tattle groups so often wind up as little power play drama starters. If someone put a note on my door telling me to mow my lawn (if I had a lawn), I'd probably be tempted to plant dandelions and let the whole thing go to seed.

The neighborhood "scout" program rubs me completely the wrong way. Citizen tattle groups so often wind up as little power play drama starters. If someone put a note on my door telling me to mow my lawn (if I had a lawn), I'd probably be tempted to plant dandelions and let the whole thing go to seed.

Archived