Talkin Trash

Florida

Great visuals FL to bring the point home. The residue left behind when the bulk guys picked up the fridges unfortunately is typical b/c it happens all the time in my 'hood too. While in my 'hood cans left on the side of the street isn't that common, but if you do leave you cans in the street for more than one day on my block, I'll politely slide them to right at the entrance of your driveway. That always seems to get them moved.

Also at least once a week, sometimes more b/c of the Leon High Litterbugs, I walk my block (it's short) w/gloves on picking up trash. On Saturday I found a balled up used baby diaper. I was rather puzzled by the fact that no kids on my block or surrounding area are still in diapers. Just what type of person drives down the street and ditches a used diaper?

Keep up the fight FL, but know it's a never-ending battle.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My side of Blairstone is terrible when it comes to the trash cans on the curb. I don't think they are ever removed. I understand that some of these folks live on a hill, but I become much less understanding when I have to dodge trash cans in the street. I've never understood the urge, or inclination toward littering. I wish I could get a chronic litterer to explain to me why it's so difficult to put things in the trash.

I could blame the residences for the trash that gets left on my street but often times I find the the Battle lies with the Garbage men themselves. Why cant they just have a rake with them after picking up the trash to get what left or what they dropped? Yesterday after starring out my window at trash for the last two weeks garbage men finally came and picked up the dresser draws and mattress that some one left behind when they moved out (guess they figured that since they didn't live here any more then why should they care how the street looks!) I was out-side and I watched the garbage man just get out of his truck use the a devise to pick up the trash and get back in his truck, luckily I was out side at the time he showed up and when he closed his door, I started picking up the trash he left on the ground and started throwing it in the back in the bad of his truck....well I guess he felt bad and got back out of his truck and finished helping me pick up the rest of the trash he was going to leave behind...LAZY and UNACCEPTABLE and this kind of thing happens often!!!!!!!!! :angry:

The trash man came this morning and picked up an old mattress but left the two tvs and the washing mashing!

I am sort of glad they stopped back door service. The trash men would dump out all of the trash out of the cans next to my drive way and leave it there till the real trash truck came and picked it up. They often left old chickbones and other crap behind. Bad if you have a dog. :(

I was out-side and I watched the garbage man just get out of his truck use the a devise to pick up the trash and get back in his truck, luckily I was out side at the time he showed up and when he closed his door, I started picking up the trash he left on the ground and started throwing it in the back in the bad of his truck....well I guess he felt bad and got back out of his truck and finished helping me pick up the rest of the trash he was going to leave behind...LAZY and UNACCEPTABLE and this kind of thing happens often!!!!!!!!! :angry:

The trash man came this morning and picked up an old mattress but left the two tvs and the washing mashing!

I am sort of glad they stopped back door service. The trash men would dump out all of the trash out of the cans next to my drive way and leave it there till the real trash truck came and picked it up. They often left old chickbones and other crap behind. Bad if you have a dog. :(

To be fair the washing machine was in a different location that the bed. The TVs have been there longer than the bed, and were in the same spot ( the bed was laid on top of the TVs).

Tonight, I will be policing my yard, picking up trash and stuff. I usually have people come over on Wed nights, so I like my place to look nice when they do.

Over here Leon started back today which unfortunately means today I was greeted by breakfast waste in the streets. In the middle of the street was a completely eaten b'fast meal from Whataburger luckily it was all in the bag and at my neighbor's curb were some used paper plates, napkins and plastic utensils. Looks like someone's Mom made them a nice b'fast, too bad I have to be the one to throw it away.

Over here Leon started back today which unfortunately means today I was greeted by breakfast waste in the streets. In the middle of the street was a completely eaten b'fast meal from Whataburger luckily it was all in the bag and at my neighbor's curb were some used paper plates, napkins and plastic utensils. Looks like someone's Mom made them a nice b'fast, too bad I have to be the one to throw it away.

Poonther, do you all have neighborhood association meetings? This is a serious problem. You should not have to walk the streets of your neighborhood picking up behind other people's children. Your neighbors need to take responsibility for their children's actions and if they aren't your kids, something needs to be said to the School and the School board to address the waste these children are leaving in the neighborhoods surrounding the schools. If it takes stripping the students of their freedoms to roam off campus for lunch, so be it. What are your thoughts?

UPdate {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Code Enforcement

I've been getting regular follow-up calls from Mr. Crumpler and his staff regarding my concerns. This is comforting to know as we move forward in this drive to clean up this area of Tallahassee that there are people just as interested as I am on the inside, in seeing that the work gets done. I did provide Mr. Crumpler a link to the pictures I shared with UrbanPlanet{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}Tallahassee this week in hopes that he would be able to take action on those concerns. He ensured me he would and I did recieve a call today addressing many of the issues we see above.

I'm hoping this turns into a wave of activity that will hopefully sweep the trash off the streets. As has been stated, this is a battle that is never won, but one we should always fight. I'm so excited! :yahoo:

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to say that, for the second time already this year, I had to call the city today to come get my trash. The cans for our complex have been sitting out since late Thursday night, awaiting pickup that should have come Friday morning. By the time I got home that night and noticed them still stuffed with garbage, it was too late to alert the city.

Why am I paying for something that never happens?

I just wanted to say that, for the second time already this year, I had to call the city today to come get my trash. The cans for our complex have been sitting out since late Thursday night, awaiting pickup that should have come Friday morning. By the time I got home that night and noticed them still stuffed with garbage, it was too late to alert the city.

The lovely garbage people failed to pick up my trash for the umpteenth time. And this time, it's reeking badly since I threw out some food that had gone bad.

People always tell me to call, but what's the use if they provide consistently bad pickup service, you know?

It always amazes me that the big, slow, corrupt bureaucracy that is Dade County can provide far better waste management services than this town. Oh, and twice a week service at that! :angry:

Ah, calling the Waste Management Dept at COT. Hey they are on my speed-dial. :) I know you guys don't want to call them, but it does help. I use to have the problem of being skipped a lot, but now since I'm the "squeaky wheel" they seem to remember me now...most of the time. If it's after hours/weekends, you can still call them and leave a message. Often when some comes into the office (and someone does on week-ends) they will call you back. If you've noticed they skipped you and the trucks have been through your 'hood on your day of service, call them ASAP and often they'll come back before the end of the day or at least by the next morning. I know you pay for the service and it sux to have to call them to remind them to do their job, however if you call them often enough like I did for awhile, you'll be on their radar.

BTW: Keep in mind that in January there were two holidays, so service was delayed by a day on those two weeks. I realize that wasn't the deal w/you this week FF.

If you've noticed they skipped you and the trucks have been through your 'hood on your day of service, call them ASAP and often they'll come back before the end of the day or at least by the next morning. I know you pay for the service and it sux to have to call them to remind them to do their job, however if you call them often enough like I did for awhile, you'll be on their radar.

• 3 weeks later...

Today I decided to take a big step to address our scattered yard trash, litter and debris problem by writing to the Mayor & Commission as well as the City Manager. I shared with them my desire to see our city preserve its Clean & Beautiful reputation and I offered to create a Citizens group that will get on the ground and weekly work to get neighborhoods involved in keeping trash off the streets of our city. I've not come up with a concrete proposal yet, many of the ideas are still floating in my head. I'd really like it if many of you want to get involved in the effort, and if you have suggestions to offer on how to make this work, please do.

Archived