What's going on in New Orleans

NCB

This thread will be home to news and information concerning post-Katrina topics in and around New Orleans. Business, People, Demographics, Urban Planning & Development, Structures, Sports, Transit, Construction, State of the City, Future of the City, Problems and Issues, and just about anything else you can think of should be discussed here.

Please feel free to add your own news, info, and opinions, but please do not turn this into a political debate, to many topics about post-Katrina N.O. have been closed due to political debates.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NCB, great articles.

My concern is our local and state governments getting on the same page, coming up with a plan, and having one person present and execute that plan. Namely John Breaux, former senator. He is seen as very moderate, and one with which both parties in Washington could work with.

Right now, we are having too much infighting. We need to all come together ASAP, and have one voice. The longer we wait, the more, I'm afraid, we will be forgotten.

Right now, we are having too much infighting. We need to all come together ASAP, and have one voice. The longer we wait, the more, I'm afraid, we will be forgotten.

Great Point.

The first step to making significant progress in rebuilding New Orleans is getting state and local governments on the same page. Until that is done, all we will have is fighting and arguing between the two, and little progress being made in NOLA.

NCB, great articles.

My concern is our local and state governments getting on the same page, coming up with a plan, and having one person present and execute that plan. Namely John Breaux, former senator. He is seen as very moderate, and one with which both parties in Washington could work with.

Well, just yesterday, Gov. Blanco tapped former Senator John Breaux to head up the efforts in Washington. We now have one voice and a point man in DC. Thank God.

Raising houses above the floodplain in New Orleans, is starting to catch on again...

Very Interesting Article

Something as simple as raising houses 3 feet, can save parts of New Orleans from completely diminishing...

If houses were raised above the floodplain in N.O., and there were cat. 5 levees protecting the city, we would be talking about an entirely different New Orleans. A New Orleans, were flooding wouldn't be to big of a problem.

After reading the article, I actually see a positive sign here. Government panels are actually hearing about the horribly innadequate state of our levees, and reports that the levee system was flawed to begin with. Surely, these discussions will leave the federal government with no other choice than to approve a complete reconstruction of our levee system to cat 5 status. When faced with these facts, I really see no other choices. Hopefully they'll see the light!

This isn't the newest news, but I am still skeptical about the opening of a branch of Galatoire's in Baton Rouge. Why must every great restaurant or hotel ruin itself with replication? I hope Galatoire's does not ruin the original....

From the Times-Picayune...

http://www.nola.com/living/t-p/index.ssf?/...20044302410.xml

Archived