What's going on in New Orleans

NCB

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How's the job market down there? I heard on the news a while back that a lot of employers were having a hard time finding people and that even fast-food places were offering up big sign on bonuses and pay rates that were around $20.00 an hour. Is this true, I could move down there, get a job and and finish up school. Is this something people are doing? Are they expecting a lot of people not to return yet expecting to repopulate the area with new transplants?

I'm not trying to be rude but this could be great opportunity for younger people from all over the nation. If jobs are really paying that well to attract employees, you could work for a year to save cash and get in-state tuition at an LA school. I would also imagine real-estate prices may be lower which would provide younger people the opportunity to buy a home and stay in LA. Has the news blown this out of proportion?

I dont know what the national news networks have been saying about the job market down here, because I dont have my cable back yet, but this is what I know.

Most of the people who had steady career jobs in the city, that could return, are back in the area. But most of the people who have not returned are those who didn't had lower paying jobs or no jobs at all, resulting in employers like fast food restaurants and other stores needing employees running ads in the paper and on the radio(and I'm sure they are on TV too) saying that they are basically hiring anyone, for any position if your credentials are alright. Driving around my city of Covington in the N.O. metro area, I have seen Burger King, Circuit City, Best Buy, Target, and Walmart all advertising that they are bumbing the base salary for some of their positions up dramatically, and offering very nice sized signing bonuses to those who apply and are hired.

If you are interested in coming down here, making pretty good money for the jobs you would be doing in types of stores I listed above, going to a Louisiana school on reduced tuition, and finding a place to live(which could be nearly impossible or very easy, depending on where you look), then this would be a pretty good opportunity.

I hope that helps, and I'll be more than happy to answer any more questions you have about the job market or anything else down here, appatone. :D

A story anout New Orleans' future was brodcast on 60 Minutes last night over Louisiana Objections.

Article

I didn't think that the story was that negative, though I wish that they had interviewed more than one scientist, and gotten more opinions on the coastal erosion problem.

Yean, how about interviewing the scientists who have the plan to keep this from happening??

Look, it's not a secret that this city won't be here if we do nothing. And, it's no secret that many coastal communities will have to be abandoned if nothing is done. So, LET'S DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Grow a damn spine, stop being so tight, and fix the damn problem. This is really getting old!

And before we have people from Missouri or Idaho come on here and say to move the city... DO YOUR RESEARCH!! This is not weird science. It is fact... just use your friend... Google.

Yean, how about interviewing the scientists who have the plan to keep this from happening??

Thats exactly what I was thinking. But most of the national media has a very negative view on the future of New Orleans. I havent seen a full story about the positive things that are happening in New Orleans yet, just the negative's and problems. Louisiana invited 60 Minutes back to do another story, but it would be on the positive's happening here, the plans that are in place to save the wetlands and the coast, and showing more opinions on the future of the city.

Archived