What's going on in New Orleans

NCB

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How's the job market down there? I heard on the news a while back that a lot of employers were having a hard time finding people and that even fast-food places were offering up big sign on bonuses and pay rates that were around $20.00 an hour. Is this true, I could move down there, get a job and and finish up school. Is this something people are doing? Are they expecting a lot of people not to return yet expecting to repopulate the area with new transplants?

I'm not trying to be rude but this could be great opportunity for younger people from all over the nation. If jobs are really paying that well to attract employees, you could work for a year to save cash and get in-state tuition at an LA school. I would also imagine real-estate prices may be lower which would provide younger people the opportunity to buy a home and stay in LA. Has the news blown this out of proportion?

Here's an article describing the job market in Saint Tammany Parish. A suburban parish of New Orleans with a pre-katrina population of around 215,000, but the population now is probably closer to 315,000.

Article

The death toll of Hurricane Katrina continues to rise in Saint Bernard Parish.

Article

For nearly a month, the death count from Hurricane Katrina in St. Bernard Parish stood at 123, raising hopes among local officials that all storm victims had been found.

But now those hopes have vanished, as officials announced the death toll has risen to 126 with the recent recovery of three more bodies, including the remains of a woman whose home was searched three times before she was found in the attic.

Residents of New Orleans lowest lying areas, areas that many elected officials want to be left out of the rebuilding process such as N.O. East and the Lower 9th Ward, arent going down without a fight.

Don't write us off, residents warn

Urban Land Institute report takes a beating

Article

With everything going in New Orleans, the '06 mayoral elections in N.O. have gotten alot of attention, but the governatorial race in less than two years is starting to become interesting now as well.

Kathleen Blanco's approval rating has plumeted after Katrina, as it stands now, 1 out of every 5 Louisianians would vote for her re-election. Bobby Jindal, a state representative from Metairie, and also covers Saint Tammany Parish, who ran for governor in '03 is a possible cantidate. State senator David Vitter, whos approval rating soared to over 75% after Katrina, is another possible cantidate.

^I agree.

Bobby Jindal lost by a very narrow margin in '03, I believe it was 52%-48% so he could definately win if he were to run. Vitter is also a very interesting cantidate. he is liked by the majority or people in all of southern Louisiana, which makes up almost 3 million of Louisiana's 4.5 million people, but then again, so is Jindal..

But, I don't see Vitter running... Senator is a pretty good gig.

I really dont see him running either, but he has said the governors position does look interesting to him. But like you said, senator is a pretty good gig. He is doing a great job in the senate, and he doesn't need to worry about a term limit as long as he's a senator.

Archived