The Stephens Empire: Big Plans for Downtown LR?

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah , I understand what you are saying about Hot Springs in the context of a historic, coherent streetscape.

My definition of Urban is based to a degree of volume of real estate, buildings, etc, and the potential I see for the feel of a place like midtown manhattan, etc. rather than on the existing flow and historical longevity.

Capital, with the real estate around it, and the great view of a the capitol, should be the most dramatic and striking street in Arkansas. With a little jumpstart in private investment, it could be again.

Come on Stephens!

I would like to work on this revitalization in the future..... :-)

NewTowner, when are you coming back to LR to help?

I would love to come back as soon as I finish my Masters Degree, if I could get a job in Little Rock! I am currently getting a Masters in Architectural History at the Savannah College of Art and Design...great program, and I am loving it, but I am really ready to get in the trenches and see some super developments rise up in Little Rock and North Little Rock!

In what capacity are you hoping to enlist, Johnnydr87?

I would love to come back as soon as I finish my Masters Degree, if I could get a job in Little Rock! I am currently getting a Masters in Architectural History at the Savannah College of Art and Design...great program, and I am loving it, but I am really ready to get in the trenches and see some super developments rise up in Little Rock and North Little Rock!

In what capacity are you hoping to enlist, Johnnydr87?

NewTowner,

Please come see me...I'm an architect here in Little Rock and a principal in the firm which is designing the Lafatette Square and YMCA projects (Wilcox Group Architects - www.thewilcoxgroup.com). Personally, I love Little Rock and am a big promoter of rich urban fabric which is finally getting some attention in the circles here.

Oh...and I totally AGREE with your assessment about Hot Springs being more "urban" than downtown Little Rock. The original fabric in HS is basically intact, and from a built form - street edge standpoint, there are few places in LR that can compare. Scale, perhaps not. Urban edge, most definetely HS has the advantage here.

Also, I am a first-time poster. I can't believe there is a website/forum that caters to my interest in urban issues, size of cities, development, etc.

NewTowner,

Please come see me...I'm an architect here in Little Rock and a principal in the firm which is designing the Lafatette Square and YMCA projects (Wilcox Group Architects - www.thewilcoxgroup.com). Personally, I love Little Rock and am a big promoter of rich urban fabric which is finally getting some attention in the circles here.

Oh...and I totally AGREE with your assessment about Hot Springs being more "urban" than downtown Little Rock. The original fabric in HS is basically intact, and from a built form - street edge standpoint, there are few places in LR that can compare. Scale, perhaps not. Urban edge, most definetely HS has the advantage here.

Also, I am a first-time poster. I can't believe there is a website/forum that caters to my interest in urban issues, size of cities, development, etc.

Welcome to the Little Rock Metro forum Architect. :D Glad you found us. Nice to see someone actually involved with some of the projects on board. Feel free to join in on any of our topics here in Little Rock or elsewhere in Arkansas over in the Arkansas forum.

NewTowner,

Welcome to the forum. Have I been here long enough to welcome people?

I can't believe your screen name was still available.

NewTowner,

Welcome to the forum, Architect! I was thrilled to discover Urban Planet, as well...a perfect place for news and discussion, with such a lively and convivial atmosphere! It is great to have you...

I am not sure when my studies will permit me to visit Little Rock again, as I get my Masters in May and things are a little busy until then...but I could probably work something out in order to meet with a built environment professional who is likely full of advice and wisdom concerning my chosen field. It sounds like you are involved in some amazing stuff, Architect--particularly the Lafayette Square project--and I would love to have a chat with you!

For general interest, I have heard tell of a recent article published in Central Arkansas magazine AY detailing some fresh news regarding Little Rock and North Little Rock's evolving commitment to a future of human-scaled urbanism. I tried to find it online, but no dice. I was wondering if anyone had any idea regarding this? Supposedly, according to this article, there is some pretty interesting stuff lining up for downtown North Little Rock, via a San Francisco-based investor. There are also some renderings of the new baseball stadium's preliminary designs...supposedly. I may try to get my mum to mail me a copy. Then, my dorkiness would be complete.

At one point I was planning on going into architecture (9th, 10th, and part of 11th grades)....but now I'm leaning towards political science/ business majors.... the shift came from my desire to progress society, and if I stayed in architecture I was afraid that I'd just be subject to the whims of the market.....In other words, I want to be the guy that causes the changes in the market, not the guy who flows along with the changes.

Heh heh....to each his own, eh?

BTW, I'm not planning on going into politics with my poli-sci degree... in fact I have pretty thorough plans on what I'll do with my degrees.....

And there is a decent chance I'll still get an architectural degree...some way some how..... After all, I spent a large amount of my time just designing buildings and working on art projects while in grade school (and I wasn't bad at all). It would be a waste if I didn't use my creativity to some degree in my future career.

Oh yeah, I'm a senior in high school....finishing the college app process.

Many thanks to each of you for welcoming me. Again, I'm quite excited after having found this online resource where those who are interested in urban development, population, growth, etc. can exchange ideas - particularly about Little Rock!

By the way, how do you add images from your own computer to a post (it only asks me for a URL!)?

Many thanks to each of you for welcoming me. Again, I'm quite excited after having found this online resource where those who are interested in urban development, population, growth, etc. can exchange ideas - particularly about Little Rock!

By the way, how do you add images from your own computer to a post (it only asks me for a URL!)?

There are three locations that I know of offhand where you can upload your pics. Photobucket, Image Shack and Flickr. Then you can use that image location fir Urban Planet.

Hey everyone! Here is a random request for you:

I am heading down to St. Augustine (oldest European settlement in the US, etc) this weekend with my wife...have any of you good folks been there, and are there any resulting recommendations?

I plan on seeing the Spanish fortress, main plaza, cathedral, etc...but I have not yet found anyone who an inside scoop regarding restaurants, pubs, special streets, buildings, or little spaces and the like.

Just throwing a line out...

I am heading down to St. Augustine (oldest European settlement in the US, etc) this weekend with my wife...have any of you good folks been there, and are there any resulting recommendations?

I plan on seeing the Spanish fortress, main plaza, cathedral, etc...but I have not yet found anyone who an inside scoop regarding restaurants, pubs, special streets, buildings, or little spaces and the like.

I've been to St. Augustine a few times, I know some good restaurants that are there.

Barnicle Bill's in the Downtown area is a pretty good seafood restaurant with great Shrimp. The South Beach Grille is the best place on the beach.

Those are the only two I know, but I've got a friend who lives in Florida that might be able to give me more info.

Afraid I've never been there. If you're ever heading out towards Santa Fe, Taos or Albuquerque then I might be able to help you. :D

If you don't have a hotel booked yet, you might consider the Casa Monica. It's in the historic district and has been restored. Here's their website...

Casa Monica

My Dad and brother stayed there during Hurricane Wilma.

In Little Rock you might want to consider Casa Viva, formerly Casa Bonita. It's Billy Bob Thornton's favorite restaurant, at least he said so on Letterman.

Just trying to get things back on topic. No, I wouldn't actually eat there unless you have kids.

In Little Rock you might want to consider Casa Viva, formerly Casa Bonita. It's Billy Bob Thornton's favorite restaurant, at least he said so on Letterman.

Just trying to get things back on topic. No, I wouldn't actually eat there unless you have kids.

At one time Casa Bonita almost closed down because word got out they were serving rats or dogs or cats. UMMM

Is that the same kind of Casa Bonita that's in Lakewood, Colorado and Tulsa, Oklahoma ?

Is that the same kind of Casa Bonita that's in Lakewood, Colorado and Tulsa, Oklahoma ?

Yes. As I recall, the LR location was the second (1969), after Dallas and Ft. Worth. The folks who developed and started the LR location then moved to Tulsa to open that Casa Bonita. I believe that OKC followed, and Denver was last. The LR location was reopened by the same people that opened it originally (Wahl was their name), but the Casa Bonita holding company - for some reason - would not reopen the franchise agreement. This was about 6-7 years ago? So it reopened as "Casa Viva" and for all practical reasons it is the same as it ever was. To my knowledge, Tulsa and Denver are the only others open.

If anyone is curious, our family still eats there quite regularly and its respectably busy on weekends in spite of its less than prime location after 37 years...its a very family friendly environment, and is somewhat nostalgic for me...I worked there when I was 16, and its a LR landmark.

Archived