The Stephens Empire: Big Plans for Downtown LR?

Yes. As I recall, the LR location was the second (1969), after Dallas and Ft. Worth. The folks who developed and started the LR location then moved to Tulsa to open that Casa Bonita. I believe that OKC followed, and Denver was last. The LR location was reopened by the same people that opened it originally (Wahl was their name), but the Casa Bonita holding company - for some reason - would not reopen the franchise agreement. This was about 6-7 years ago? So it reopened as "Casa Viva" and for all practical reasons it is the same as it ever was. To my knowledge, Tulsa and Denver are the only others open.

If anyone is curious, our family still eats there quite regularly and its respectably busy on weekends in spite of its less than prime location after 37 years...its a very family friendly environment, and is somewhat nostalgic for me...I worked there when I was 16, and its a LR landmark.

Architect. If UALR carries out its master plan do you see the area around Asher and University where Casa Viva is located improving?

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Architect. If UALR carries out its master plan do you see the area around Asher and University where Casa Viva is located improving?

This has nothing to do with your question, but if UALR could get out of the UA system they could really explode. They have been attracting a lot of students from smaller towns from around Arkansas that are attracted to the "big city," and they are just spread out all over Little Rock in apartments. They have a decent enough campus, and with some work it could be turned into a place with a true college feel.

Not him, but I doubt it. That area's decaying right now. If UALR could take over some of the surrounding areas via campus expanding it might help. Unlike CA, I don't see UALR being more than a commuter campus, albeit a large one. Lu Hardin is really doing well with UCA and it is really becoming the state's 2nd best university and a viable runner-up to UA in the state for a well-rounded college education. It really seems to have passed up ASU in the last few years.

I, for one, was sad to see Cinema 150 close. I saw every Star Wars movie there save Episode III, dating back to the original when I was 3. That was a great place to watch a film but solo theatres are out of vogue.

Yes. As I recall, the LR location was the second (1969), after Dallas and Ft. Worth. The folks who developed and started the LR location then moved to Tulsa to open that Casa Bonita. I believe that OKC followed, and Denver was last. The LR location was reopened by the same people that opened it originally (Wahl was their name), but the Casa Bonita holding company - for some reason - would not reopen the franchise agreement. This was about 6-7 years ago? So it reopened as "Casa Viva" and for all practical reasons it is the same as it ever was. To my knowledge, Tulsa and Denver are the only others open.

If anyone is curious, our family still eats there quite regularly and its respectably busy on weekends in spite of its less than prime location after 37 years...its a very family friendly environment, and is somewhat nostalgic for me...I worked there when I was 16, and its a LR landmark.

Yes, Tulsa and Denver are the only one's open.

I'd have to say the one in Denver or really Lakewood is my favorite, it has a very complex cave system, not to mention a waterfall with cliff jumpers and plenty of shopps. Ultimately my highlight every time I go to Denver.

This is a shot of the 100 Main building(old bus station) owned by Stephens looking north. It will be taken down this year for a parking lot. In the past Mr. Stephens has talked about putting a mixed use highrise project on the site. It is across the street from the convention center, Peabody Hotel and next to his own Capital Hotel. He also owns the half block fronting Main south of the building.

dscf23785yv.jpg

Yes, Tulsa and Denver are the only one's open.

I'd have to say the one in Denver or really Lakewood is my favorite, it has a very complex cave system, not to mention a waterfall with cliff jumpers and plenty of shopps. Ultimately my highlight every time I go to Denver.

There's a really funny South Park where Cartman wants to go to the Casa Bonita in Denver for Kyle's birthday party and to do so has to get rid of Butters - he convinces him that it's the apocalypse and it's only safe to hide in the refrigerator.

Not that this is at all off-topic.

There's a really funny South Park where Cartman wants to go to the Casa Bonita in Denver for Kyle's birthday party and to do so has to get rid of Butters - he convinces him that it's the apocalypse and it's only safe to hide in the refrigerator.

:lol: Can't say I've seen that one.

Well, obviously if UALR does improve and provide new construction at the NE corner of that major intersection, yes, it is an improvement. But in the broad scope, no. The area might hold its own, but for all practical purposes, its prime was 30 years ago. There is no new influx of people or development here, and I don't foresee anything radical enough happening to reverse this trend. The ONLY thing that could have a minor impact is that the west end of Asher (which has been renamed Col. Glenn from University west) is now finally becoming a fast-growing hub in central west LR at the I-430 intersection.

This is a shot of the 100 Main building(old bus station) owned by Stephens looking north. It will be taken down this year for a parking lot. In the past Mr. Stephens has talked about putting a mixed use highrise project on the site. It is across the street from the convention center, Peabody Hotel and next to his own Capital Hotel. He also owns the half block fronting Main south of the building.

dscf23785yv.jpg

Wow. Warren Stephens in planning on tearing this down...for a parking lot? This is NOT a very senstive thing to do with respect to maintaining the urban fabric. This doesn't sound like Warren, so I'm presuming he has bigger plans than a lot. Otherwise, this continues to add to the prevalence of Little Rock's core being composed primarily of high-rise buildings set between (ever increasing) parking lots.

:lol:

I'll have to see that episode. I was laughing to death at the one where they all went to Bentonville for the Wal-Mart Headquarters.

• 2 months later...

dscf23785yv.jpg

Construction has started on the expansion of the Capital Hotel. It will take up most of the parking lot behind the hotel.

Building permits for the redo of the Capital Hotel come in at $10,750,000.

Also, Mr. Stpehens has added to his holdings on Main Street with the purchase of the Our House Building. This building housed a homeless shelter until it moved to another part of town. Its location on Main has held up redevelopment in the area. I wonder if he will resume work on the Center Theater?

I was disappointed when he announced they were going to use the area for a parking lot. I really expected something else, even if it wasn't a large-scale highrise.

Ditto, at least a parking deck as opposed to a lot. That building isn't an eyesore and that area is too dense and urban to tear down and build parking lots.

• 2 weeks later...

Picture of the work on the expansion of the Capital Hotel. The building in the background will be turned into a parking lot.

dscf26147ub.jpg

Picture of the Center Theater that is owned by Stephens. Work was put on hold over a year ago. The reason given was the homeless shelter across the street, which has moved and he now owns the building.

dscf26023ae.jpg

Apparently the Center Theater was really in a state of disrepair, much more than they expected. Salvaging it will be difficult.

Sephens wanted to give it to the REP but those plans did not work out went the REP did not get the funding to build across the street.

• 3 weeks later...

I was driving by the old bus station yesterday and they have blocked off the the parking lane in front of it. Workers were taking stuff out of the building. I guess it will be coming down soon.

Picture taken last month while standing in front of the Statehouse Convention Center.

dscf25199hc.jpg

Taken from the Main Street parking deck.

dscf25412cg.jpg

This will become a parking lot? .....

I'm not sure I like that idea....it's right at the heart of things....

It will become a parking lot for The Capital Hotel next door. This is a strange building anyway. The buses would drive through the building. Also, it contains some indoor parking. If and when Stephens decides to build the property will not take much work to start construction.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, obviously if UALR does improve and provide new construction at the NE corner of that major intersection, yes, it is an improvement. But in the broad scope, no. The area might hold its own, but for all practical purposes, its prime was 30 years ago. There is no new influx of people or development here, and I don't foresee anything radical enough happening to reverse this trend. The ONLY thing that could have a minor impact is that the west end of Asher (which has been renamed Col. Glenn from University west) is now finally becoming a fast-growing hub in central west LR at the I-430 intersection.

UALR announced a new plan in April detailing their plan for the next ten years. UALR plans to build a type of "grand entrance" that will house several colleges and departments at the corner of University and Asher. I have seen the rendering and along with adding green space around Coleman Creek that runs through the campus, that whole area is going to look totally different.

Also, they are working with the community surrounding the school in a group called University District to help revitilize the University area. The word is that University will be exapnded to six lanes along with improving buildings along the street.

Archived