The Stephens Empire: Big Plans for Downtown LR?

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to see that go down for a parking lot, it's almost de-urbanization. Hopefully at some point that structure would be replaced. There's room for a small parking deck behind the Capital Hotel.

The Capital Hotel is building a ballroom on the parking lot behind them.

• 3 weeks later...

Witt Stephens Jr and his wife purchased land near the old Balch dealership/Clinton records respository on a bluff on the River for $1.5 million with plans to build a major class A office develop and HQ their investment group there. The family elected to separate out Witt Stephens' investments and assets from his brother Warren's. Warren will remain HQ's in the Stephens building along with Stephens Inc.

Witt Stephens Jr and his wife purchased land near the old Balch dealership/Clinton records respository on a bluff on the River for $1.5 million with plans to build a major class A office develop and HQ their investment group there. The family elected to separate out Witt Stephens' investments and assets from his brother Warren's. Warren will remain HQ's in the Stephens building along with Stephens Inc.

Where exactly is this?

Could this possibly add to the skyline?

Where exactly is this?

Could this possibly add to the skyline?

It is behind the old Balch Oldsmobile dealership on La Harpe just east of the railroad tracks and Dillard's HQ. The dealership building was used to hold the material for the Clinton Library until it was finished. The property is west of the Cliffs Condos.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish they could add underground parking and build something on that site. That location is too prime to waste on a parking lot.

Maybe one day the Rep will have the funds to build a new theater and occupy that corner.

I think the parking lot was an excuse to remove the building. I do not think the Stephens building parking deck is full across the street and the bus station had parking inside it. I would not be surprised if something is built there in the next few years.

• 4 weeks later...

Arkansas Business reports that Stephens wants to purchase Block2. This is a redevelopment across Main St. from the old bus station. There have been some complaints about upkeep. Stephens wants to do away with the requirement that provides low income housing for the lofts. This requirement has another 25+ or - years to run.

The Stephens group have been studying what to do with the area for a while and will not announce their intentions piecemeal. When they do announce, I'm sure it will be a total urban plan that will befit the Stephens' legacy for generations. I think their desire is to raise the bar so to speak for Little Rock to become more cosmopolitan.

Does anyone know what is going on next to the Capitol Hotel? I was down there tonight and saw that the building that use to house the Funny Bone Comedy Club has been torn down.

Are you talking about the old bus station?

Arkansas Business reports that Stephens wants to purchase Block2. This is a redevelopment across Main St. from the old bus station. There have been some complaints about upkeep. Stephens wants to do away with the requirement that provides low income housing for the lofts. This requirement has another 25+ or - years to run.

Something to think about. If Stephens is able to get around the requirements mentioned above will he try to purchas the apartments across from Dickey-Stephens Stadium?

Are you talking about the old bus station?

No. I know that they demolished the old bus station to build a parking lot for the Capitol Hotel.

I'm talking about the building that use to house the Funny Bone that was across the street from the Convention Center.

No. I know that they demolished the old bus station to build a parking lot for the Capitol Hotel.

I'm talking about the building that use to house the Funny Bone that was across the street from the Convention Center.

The building's still there. The buildings you are talking about are part of the Block 2 Loft project which are three old warehouses (8,9, and 4 stories) that were largely converted to loft apartments with ground level retail. The Funny Bone became On the Rocks, a Little Rock version of the popular Fayetteville bar.

The building that was torn down was the old bus station, which housed Iriana's.

The management is awful. Right after they opened it when I was still single and childless I was set to move in and get a 9th floor loft on the corner of the yellow (Wallace?) building. I put down my deposit and was supposed to get to pick out my paints, etc and they were going to paint it for me. I couldn't get anyone to return my call for a month until the day I was supposed to move in. I decided not to move in and I heard a lot of complaints from others afterwards about the management. The parking is also a big problem there as the garage beneath the buildings is apparently often a few feet deep in water after heavy rains and there's a waiting list for parking. You can park at the 3rd and Main deck, I think.

I would love to see Stephens buy everything he can in downtown LR and do for us what oilman Ray Hunt did for Fort Worth. Fort Worth has a considerably nicer, more walkable, and fully restored downtown than Dallas largely because Hunt owns most of it and he will subsidize pet projects while keeping out undesirable ones in such a way that he completely molds the downtown.

I would love to see Stephens buy everything he can in downtown LR and do for us what oilman Ray Hunt did for Fort Worth. Fort Worth has a considerably nicer, more walkable, and fully restored downtown than Dallas largely because Hunt owns most of it and he will subsidize pet projects while keeping out undesirable ones in such a way that he completely molds the downtown.

Anything that would improve downtown is fine with me. Stephens appears to have the city's welfare at heart and if they can make a buck more power to them. I don't think downtown will ever be what it was even into the 70s but hopefully the tattoo parlors and wig shops will be gone.

Anything that would improve downtown is fine with me. Stephens appears to have the city's welfare at heart and if they can make a buck more power to them. I don't think downtown will ever be what it was even into the 70s but hopefully the tattoo parlors and wig shops will be gone.

I honestly think I've been in a wig shop in downtown Little Rock, anyone have any names?

The momentum even in the 70s was negative though downtown was a few years from its nadir. The momentum now is overwhelmingly positive, at least.

In terms of retail I agree that downtown will never be what it was. The new downtown will be upscale residential and entertainment-oriented and that's fine with me.

Archived