Charleston vs. Memphis

krazeeboi

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, I've never considered Memphis to be on the same historical level as Charleston. Metro Memphis is also much larger than metro Charleston. I really don't have a preference because I love both cities for different reasons. Charleston for its preservation of historic urbanity and Memphis for its food, music and black culture. I also can't really compare the two in terms of future urban development because of the difference in size of the metros and restrictions concerning development. So I'll stay neutral.

Well I am originally from Memphis, although I will never live there again. I truly love the place. I love to go to Charleston, it is one of my favorite cities. Everytime that I have been there they speak highly of Memphis and the fact that they see it as one of few remaining cities in the South that still shows Southern Hospitality. I would have to say that I much prefer to go to Charleston. I like the compact nature and walkability of Charleston. To be fair, I visit Charleston in a different way than I do Memphis. I stay downtown, eat at Magnolias, Cotton Club, etc downtown, visit homes and plantations. When I visit Memphis, I stay out in East Memphis. I may go into downtown, but more often than not, it is Christmas and weather is not conducive to being a tourist. I don't know that I can compare them. I don't think that I could live in Charleston either. I would want to live downtown and I could never afford to live in the areas of the city that would be needed to have the lifestyle I would want to enjoy. If I have to decide, I would choose Charleston. It has a unique feeling that is not equaled elsewhere in the US. Memphis is a perfectly livable city, but like so many American cities much of it interchangable with almost any other American city.

I like both cities too but much like the majority I find them hard to compare. Memphis seems a bit more in the mainstreem to me though. Memphis has a lot in common with Detroit as far as being a rich Afircan-American Culture hub whereas I would think that Charleston has more in common with say Savannah or maybe even Birmingham. They're both great cities.

Hmmm...must you ask? :shades: I have to say my hometown, most definitely. Charleston is on the brink of becoming a major city in the Southeast. It may be smaller than Memphis metro, but that is about to change. Economically, Memphis has an edge with its established businesses and reputation as a larger city. Having an NBA team also helps.

However, I think Charleston's future is a little brighter. It is booming now, and many more developments are underway to take the city practically back to its glory days. I just love it being that it is a coastal city. Plenty of beaches are around, as well as many rivers for lots of leisure activities.

Wow, tough call and I agree with others that the differences between the two outweigh the similarities making the choice decidedly harder.

I love to visit both cities for different reasons... Charleston has the Old South feel and charm and when we visit, we stay in one of those antebellum B&Bs and walk everywhere. Antique shops abound as do museums and walking tours, great places to eat, etc.

Memphis has a rich history of its own and the entertainment value of Beale Street is fairly impressive. I've heard it referred to on more than one occasion as a "cleaner, mini-French Quarter". A group of us are actually heading to Memphis within the next couple of weeks for an extended weekend visit and good Southern barbecue and some jazz/blues are both on the intinerary.

Love both cities... I'm on the fence.

As has been said, the two cities are really hard to compare.

Although Memphis has a rich history and culture, it's much more a focus of mainstream Southern culture. Memphis just probably exemplifies that mainstream southern culture.

Charleston is much more unique--although it's of course Southern as well--just different, and certainly richer architecturally and more distinctive culturally.

Memphis is more of a preserved early 20th Century large southern city. Charleston is from other centuries.

As has been said, the two cities are really hard to compare.

Although Memphis has a rich history and culture, it's much more a focus of mainstream Southern culture. Memphis just probably exemplifies that mainstream southern culture.

Charleston is much more unique--although it's of course Southern as well--just different, and certainly richer architecturally and more distinctive culturally.

Memphis is more of a preserved early 20th Century large southern city. Charleston is from other centuries.

Sleepy you brought up one of my favorite things about Memphis. Memphis has one of the finest collections of bungalows and four squares from the early 20th century of any US city. Most of the central heart of the city is full of them. One book on bungalows claimed that Memphis has more Porte Cocheres than anywhere else in the US per capita. If I were ever to move back to Memphis, I would have to live in Central Gradens or one of the other Midtown areas that contain this architechural jewelry. They would be cheaper than those Half Houses in Charleston too.

Sleepy you brought up one of my favorite things about Memphis. Memphis has one of the finest collections of bungalows and four squares from the early 20th century of any US city. Most of the central heart of the city is full of them. One book on bungalows claimed that Memphis has more Porte Cocheres than anywhere else in the US per capita. If I were ever to move back to Memphis, I would have to live in Central Gradens or one of the other Midtown areas that contain this architechural jewelry. They would be cheaper than those Half Houses in Charleston too.

I agree. Midtown is a real gem. And for those not familiar with Memphis, midtown Memphis is a large area of approx. 16 sq. miles containing the city's early 20th century residential and business community. It's not--as commonly used for most cities--an area of midrises stretching outward from downtown.

As I sort of said, though, historic Memphis is more of a large, relatively preserved early 20th century southern city. Charleston is from another era.

Archived