*Repost from Skyscraperpage (that explains the beginning commentary, lol)*

First, let us make the check list:

1. Bad weather? Check

2. Severe dearth of pedestrian activity on a Sunday? Check

3. Repeat subject matter? Check

4. Boring commentary on a boring city? Check

5. Familiar lack of East Lansing photos? Check

6. A fair amount of self deprecation? Check

Let us proceed. You may, just may, find something impression, worthwhile, or worth learning that may help you distinguish this place from Anywhere, U.S.A.

The start of Printer's Row, a Smart, Green, decent-quality, 17-unit condominium development on Cherry Hill downtown. The historic Kerr Houses is still under renovation to update the office space. Just to the right, and out of picture is the busy I-496.

711_printer_s_row_condominiums.jpg

A random view of the Michigan Capitol at the terminus of Townsed Street, and dull side street that cuts through the south downtown area.

712_michigan_capitol_down_townsend_street.jpg

Seymour Street is the northern equivalent of Townsend Street, and starts immediately north of the capitol square. It directly connects downtown and Oldtown. Here is some fall color midway through the connection.

713_seymour_street_fall_color.jpg

The Redhead Design Studio and Media Graphic Incorporated put this mural up on Friday and Saturday in the heart of eclectic Old Town with the help of the community. I think it looks like a 5th grade art project, but the creator calls is "art." She said that since Old Town has fewer trees than most other commercial areas in the city she'd "paint some." lol

714_redhead_design_studio_and_media_graphic_inc_mural.jpg

Off to northeast downtown, here is the emerging Prudden area which also includes the northern headquarters of the Lansing Police Department. Work is finally moving ahead on the facade of the factory (which will houses over 180 lofts), and the first phase of the newly constructed apartments is nearly done (100+ luxury apartments). The apartments are actually starting look nice, despite a few blank walls on one of the designs.

Looking northwest

715_prudden_area.jpg

Building I

716_prudden_place_lofts_-_building_i.jpg

Factory looking northeast from rail overpass.

717_prudden_factory_looking_northeast.jpg

Building II - including unattractive blank wall on each of its sides.

718_prudden_place_lofts_-_building_ii.jpg

Small alley between Building I and II

719_prudden_place_lofts_-_alley.jpg

Building III - simply a recreation of Building I

7110_prudden_place_lofts_-_building_ii.jpg

They are painting the factory to visually tie it with the apartment project, which is totally separate of the factory project.

7113_prudden_factory_-_new_paint.jpg

Wait for the cars to go by...

7114_prudden_factory_looking_northwest.jpg

The photos were taken from historic and hilly Oak Park. At the foot of this photo use to stand a pond. Needless to say it was filled in.

7111_oak_park_vista.jpg

Unfortunately, the hill at the very western edge of the park isn't high enough to get a good skyline view. And even better still, the Volunteers of America mid-rise shack blocks the view.

7112_oak_park_view.jpg

The park is surrounded by a poor, residential neighborhood on two sides. Only two commercial buildings lie along the park, both belonging to Neogen, an up-and-coming bio-tech company that also owns two other historic wharehouses off the park.

Neogen Building I

7115_neogen_-_building_i.jpg

Neogen Building II

7116_neogen_-_building_ii.jpg

________________________________________________________________________________

________

Go to Part II

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived