Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lmichigan

Fall Colors and Development - 10/23/2005 - Part II

Lmichigan    9

Back to downtown...

Two historic buildings getting facade renovations.

7117_washington_avenue_facade_renovations.jpg

And what would a tour be without the word Boji? They've done and awesome job on updating their signature tower.

7118_boji_tower_entrance.jpg

And in the Boji Complex (thankfully renamed officially the Capitol View) the former Michigan National Bank-turned-Standard Federal Bank-turned-LaSalle Bank is moving from the Boji Tower (they are preserving the banking hall, though).

7119_lasalle_bank.jpg

Modernity meets the historical at the Capitol Tower and former Bank of Lansing Tower (now Comerica...of couse).

7121_adjoined_history_and_modernity.jpg

The banking hall. I'd try and get interior shots, but security is tight. This bank is robbed often. I guess the crooks like the old-fashioned heights. lol

7122_bank_of_lansing_south_base.jpg

100+ year old storefronts along the 100 south block of Washington Square. Not all that impressive in architecture, but relatively old.

7123_history_meets_modernity.jpg

A rare, modern addition on the block built in the 30's or 40's, now home to the Lansing Art Gallery, the only art gallery in downtown, all of the rest are concentrated on East Michigan and in Old Town.

7124_lansing_art_gallery.jpg

The crumbling Hollister Building/Block. This is the oldest "high-rise" in downtown Lansing at about 100 years old (all others have been demolished but the Arbaugh). The Boji Group recently bought it and plan to convert the top floors into condo units next year, and renovate the building currently, temporarily home to state offices for the year. An eye doctor, cigar house, and card company currently make up the retail tenants. The building spans and alley and directly abuts the Boji Tower.

7125_hollister_building_-_crumbling.jpg

The vacant Knapp's Centre and Club X-Cel, a club that caters to all kinds of crowds.

7126_knapp_s_centre_-_empty.jpg

The Arbaughs top floors are nearing completion for an end-of-the-year move-in date. The 48 unit building already has great exterior lighting affixed near the top, but the blue windowframes really hurt the historic design, IMO. The cornice will be installed soon.

7127_arbaugh_-_closer_to_completion.jpg

Now, over to Oldsmobile Park, which I've only shown once or twice before...

The view from Oldsmobile Park's front plaza. The fountain was recently shut off. And, now they are getting ready for the haunted house. When the team is not playing it's used for everything from outdoor movies to an outdoor concert venue.

7128_oldsmobile_park_vista.jpg

7129_oldsmobile_park_vista__2_.jpg

7130_grand_tower_and_shot_tower.jpg

A block east lies the small Pere Marquette Place district. A few lofts, two bars, The Lansing City Rescue Mission, a salon, and a resturant line Michigan Avenue. Behind those are businesses that have been in the city for 50 years+ (with a few exceptions).

7131_pere_marquette_place_arch.jpg

...like this one. A former high-school classmates dad owns this. I went to a party in this historic building once. It looks like he's giving up on the second-hand-store.

7134_action_discount.jpg

Next door is the former Abrams Aerial Survey Headquarters that was recently announced that it would be expanded 4 stories upwards to saving the bottom two floors. It will include 30+ lofts with 18' high cielings. The structure is proposed to rise 100+ feet high. The for sale sign reads "pending." I have been told the developer is serious about this.

7137_abrams_aerial_survey_-_soon-to-be-midrise.jpg

Front of Oldsmobile Park. The stadium was completed nearly 10 years ago. It seems like yesterday.

7132_oldsmobile_park.jpg

7136_oldsmobile_park__3_.jpg

Part of the haunted house set-up

7133_oldsmobile_park__2_.jpg

Lastly, a few to the south that will be quite different starting the beginning of next year. The massive 4-story, 150+ residential-unit, retail Stadium District will rise on the entire surface lot across from the stadium. The historic (and not so historic addition) Dye Treatment Facility, owned by the Lansing Board of Water and Line can be seen. Built directly into the riverbank, it takes up a fwe blocks along Cedar. The historic, neon sign got it's yearly maintenance just two weeks ago.

7135_dye_treatment_facility.jpg

Lastly, some random development...

The 20+ expansion of On the Grand Condominiums in Old Town is on schedule.

7138_on_the_grand_expansion.jpg

And a new shopping plaza is going up just a two blocks west of Prudden Place.

7139_red_brick_shopping_center.jpg

And a strange shot to end up, but it's all I've got...

7140_riverfront_towers_senior_apartments.jpg

Pans

I keep hoping this angle will turn out, but it never does. It's just a bad angle, and badly stitched pan. lol

71panorama.jpg

From Oldsmobile Park. The sky looks angry. Well...he better get over it.

71panorama_2.jpg

statedude3    0

I just drove past the Arbough minutes ago, and I must agree that the blue windows seem to take away from the histric appeal of the building. Other than that, I think with the corince, that this will be a tremendous sucess of urban building rehabilitation.