Another Article of Kuhn's plans for downtown

bobliocatt

The Strand will be 28 stories, according to the filed building permit. As far as Kuhn's proposed tower goes, its uses are completely different from the office condos being marketed for the Suntrust Tower. I seriously doubt it's sales will have an effect on the height of the proposed hotel/residential condo tower next door. However, its possible that its brisk sales will encourage him to buy more property in downtown and start construction on some of the other projects (ex. The Barnett) at a fairly quick pace.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is anyone familiar with the hotel condo concept? These will be located in floors 2-10 of Kuhn's new tower across from the Landing. My guess is that individuals can own the condos, but they are managed by a hotel chain (i.e. Marriott) and are basically rented out by that chain with the proceeds (after the hotel's cut) going to the owner. Am I correct?

Is anyone familiar with the hotel condo concept? These will be located in floors 2-10 of Kuhn's new tower across from the Landing. My guess is that individuals can own the condos, but they are managed by a hotel chain (i.e. Marriott) and are basically rented out by that chain with the proceeds (after the hotel's cut) going to the owner. Am I correct?

That is the model I have seen. I have friends that had them on Pensacola Beach pre-Ivan. You can also stay at "your" room and simply pay the cleaning fee. I think there must be a fixed number of times you can do that per year, but it seems like a corporate winner as an asset especially with all of the big games that Jax likes to host.

I'm not sure that this is the exact same model because its a downtown hotel verses a resort hotel, but it seems like a pretty good idea, especially if demand for rooms are robust downtown (I have no idea).

That is the model I have seen. I have friends that had them on Pensacola Beach pre-Ivan. You can also stay at "your" room and simply pay the cleaning fee. I think there must be a fixed number of times you can do that per year, but it seems like a corporate winner as an asset especially with all of the big games that Jax likes to host.

I'm not sure that this is the exact same model because its a downtown hotel verses a resort hotel, but it seems like a pretty good idea, especially if demand for rooms are robust downtown (I have no idea).

Interesting concept. Did you friends seem to be happy with the arrangement? Was this room a basic room or was it a suite(kitchette, Living area,etc.)?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Interesting concept. Did you friends seem to be happy with the arrangement? Was this room a basic room or was it a suite(kitchette, Living area,etc.)?

Inquiring minds want to know.

It was a nicer more resorty days inn. It did not have a kitchenette. I stayed there as the owners guest in 2003 and it cost about $20 for the attendents. I'd estimate the going rate was at least a $150 a night, directly on the beach. I believe it was totally wiped out though you might be able to find info on it. Googling hotels is painful so I'll leave it to you.

It was a nicer more resorty days inn. It did not have a kitchenette. I stayed there as the owners guest in 2003 and it cost about $20 for the attendents. I'd estimate the going rate was at least a $150 a night, directly on the beach. I believe it was totally wiped out though you might be able to find info on it. Googling hotels is painful so I'll leave it to you.

Thanks TUC !!

Archived