What would it take?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To get LR/NLR to merge?

There has been some support for this over the years, but what would it actually take to get the two cities to come together?

Also, advantages/disadvantages? What do y'all think?

I started a topic on this awhile ago that you might find interesting. Here's the link.

I strongly support a merger, and most on this board do. If the sentiment in the general public is similar, then I wouldn't see what would stop it from happening, other than it's not really at the front of people's minds. There would of course be strong opposition from people in city government who would have their jobs threatened. That's a really backwards way of thinking. The merger would be a huge boost for the region's image, and for its efficiency in government and development.

I think a merger would be beneficial for the Little Rock economy because it would help with govermental affairs.

I think NW Arkansas should also form a merger, because we would be able to control zoning issues and development, which would make us an overall better place.

At the very least, I think Benton Co and Washington Co as separate entities need much stronger governments and need to be able to control the individual cities' actions a bit more. The cities just continually work against one another. At least Little Rock and NLR have developed a close sense of collegiality for mutual benefit, Fayetteville and Springdale in particular are generally adversarial.

At the very least, I think Benton Co and Washington Co as separate entities need much stronger governments and need to be able to control the individual cities' actions a bit more. The cities just continually work against one another. At least Little Rock and NLR have developed a close sense of collegiality for mutual benefit, Fayetteville and Springdale in particular are generally adversarial.

Yeah Fayetteville and Springdale are good examples. They both want very different things. Fayetteville wants very controlled and designed growth and Springdale wants and allows just about anything. Although this has reminded me on something I read in the paper recently. Supposedly someone in Springdale wants to start controlling things more. Of all things he wants to have a say in what colors people can use for their buildings. This was in the editorial section of the paper and the editor basically said he didn't see it happening. That Springdale will keep allowing anything because they're still trying to draw in anything they can get. Almost as if it's a competition to lure things away from Fayetteville and have them build in Springdale instead, like the Cracker Barrel.

Archived