Murfreesboro, Gallatin, Lebanon Bus Service

smeagolsfree

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is great news! Is there already an express bus from MTA that goes to these cities from downtown Nashville? If not, it would be good to get one out there so they can connect up to these systems. I think it would also be great if Rutherford and Williamson considered a consolidated south suburban transit system. It would make things much less complicated. Here in Chicago the suburbs have PACE buses that serve most of the Western Suburbs.

Well, Gallatin does have Volunteer State which has more students than Lebanon's Cumberland in spite of being a community college. Gallatin also has a very "urban" central part of the city...even if it doesn't look like it, it shares demographic trends with larger cites like Clarksville.

Two cities I didn't see mentioned in this article were Hendersonville and Mt. Juliet which both have commuter van service to Nashville provided bt MTA. There are no interior lines but they do have public transportation for M-F commuters.

Wow Mufreesboro doesn't have a transit system eh? I really figure it would have do to its size and the size of MTSU. Learn something everyday. I definately think it benefit Mufressboro to have a bus system, and if Franklin can make a system work, then by golly surely these towns can. Really postive developments for these cities if you ask me.

The question I have is, when did Mufreesboro become the state's 7th largest? Hasn't it neen 6th for awhile? With Clarksville 5th and Jackson 7th? If not, who the heck is larger than Murfreesboro besides Clarksville? Did one of the Tri-Cities leap-frog Jackson and Murfreesboro or something? :blink:

Wow Mufreesboro doesn't have a transit system eh? I really figure it would have do to its size and the size of MTSU. Learn something everyday. I definately think it benefit Mufressboro to have a bus system, and if Franklin can make a system work, then by golly surely these towns can. Really postive developments for these cities if you ask me.

The question I have is, when did Mufreesboro become the state's 7th largest? Hasn't it neen 6th for awhile? With Clarksville 5th and Jackson 7th? If not, who the heck is larger than Murfreesboro besides Clarksville? Did one of the Tri-Cities leap-frog Jackson and Murfreesboro or something? :blink:

Murfreesboro is most definitely the 6th largest city in Tennessee. According to the US Census estimates released for July 1, 2004, it was at 81,511, and should hit 100,000 by 2010. The census estimate show 27 Tennessee cities in 2004 with at least 20,000 people. Interestingly, exactly one-third of them, 9 (see asterisks) are located in the Nashville MSA. More than 850,000 people live in these nine cities. Here's the list:

1. Memphis...............671,929

2. Nashville...............546,719*

3. Knoxville...............178,118

4. Chattanooga..........154,853

5. Clarksville.............108,972

6. Murfreesboro..........81,511*

7. Jackson..................61,772

8. Johnson City...........57,812

9. Franklin..................48,191*

10. Kingsport..............44,070

11. Hendersonville......43,866*

12. Bartlett.................42,865

13. Cleveland.............37,746

14. Germantown.........37,555

15. Collierville............36,562

16. Columbia..............33,599

17. Smyrna................31,925*

18. Brentwood............30,586*

19. Cookeville.............27,648

20. Oak Ridge.............27,298

21. Gallatin.................25,653*

22. Maryville...............25,569

23. Morristown............25,462

24. Bristol...................24,933

25. La Vergne.............24,811*

26. Lebanon................22,452*

27. East Ridge.............20,010

By the way, in a very short time, another city in the Nashville MSA will be joining the list - Spring Hill

Edited by Hankster

• 9 months later...

In a lot of respects to the surrounding cities, I would love to see a regional transit system in the area. Many people may live and work in other cities surrounding Nashville but not in Nashville.

I wish, with respect to mass transit we could act as a region and make some amazing things happen.