Welaunee Plantation Development

Florida

Homewhite_2_r1_c1.jpg

Is a residential, commercial, and office development in East Tallahassee of approximately 2,450 acres.

Since 1995, Welaunee has been actively engaged in developing new communities through strategic activities and sales. After years of site analysis and strategic planning, the first strategic land sale for community development occurred in 1995, when Welaunee agreed to sell up to 100 acres of land to Holy Comforter Episcopal Church and School. One of Tallahassee's most highly regarded private schools, the Holy Comforter Day School complements the public schools serving northeastern Tallahassee and provides and anchor for new communities at Welaunee.

In 1998, Welaunee sold 500 acres to the State of Florida's Office of Greenways and Trails for creation of the Miccosukee Canopy Road Greenway. This unique linear park provides both aesthetic protection of the scenic moss-draped canopy on Miccosukee Road as well as passive recreational opportunities for residents in new communities on Welaunee's Toe and Heel. The conceptual master plan for the Greenway includes pathways and access points from new neighborhoods at Welaunee.

In 2000, Powerhouse management embarked on a intensive land planning process to establish a vision for communities on Welaunee's Toe and Heel. They assembled a team of highly qualified professionals and initiated a public outreach program to address neighborhood and public concerns from the surrounding area. The collaborative planning process culminated in approval of the Welaunee Critical Area Plan, which provides the framework for the land development activities now being conducted.

In December 2005, Welaunee agreed to sell 428 acres of the Toe adjoining Interstate highway 10, to the City of Tallahassee for installation of various public facilities and eventual strategic development. At the same time, the City and Powerhouse, Inc., executed an updated Urban Services-Development Agreement to addresss a variety of issues associated with development of the property.

In 2006, Welaunee entered into a contract with CNL Real Estate and Development Corp., of Orlando to develop the remaining 508-acres of the Toe with mixed-use walkable neighborhoods that will implement the family's vision for new communities. Closing on the first 254 acres took place in December 2006, while the new community was undergoing further plan preparation and design. Ground-breaking is expected in 2007.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welaunee Deal Gets Thumbs Up

City of Tallahassee was given a bargain when owners of massive Welaunee Plantation offered 450 acres up for sale at a price of $10,000,000. The City of Tallahassee jumped on it.

This frees the city up to do a number of things with the newly purchased property, including the Eastern Tranmission Lines, The New Welaunee Blvd, that would take traffic off of the canopy roads (Miccosukee and Centerville), or even efforts at community parks, and affordable housing.

• 2 weeks later...

What's the update on Welaunee - when is it slated to begin development. I'm very excited about this, but I'm kinda in the dark when it comes to info about it.

As development grows east, let's face it, we're going to need another interchange at I-10. An interchange with Centerville I can see as not being viable at all.........so I say build one at Welaunee Blvd. I'd also like to see a new major north-south route being built to connect to Mahan Drive and fly past I-10 to the northern parts of the development, let's say, a widened and extended Edenfield (which is on the map) or Thornton Road, both which are county maintained routes. I don't think the interchanges at Thomasville and Mahan are going to cut it, as they are 6 miles apart, and Mahan is two lanes at that point.

I'm very excited, but I'm concerned about the roads! :D

Sounds like you know your stuff JPL!! I'd like to see an interchange out there also and I think the new Welaunee Blvd might be our answer. It's about mid-way between Old Exit 31 and 30. Its not long before we start to see restaurants and more retail pop up out in that area. Already DeVoe is working on his new Car Museum location and there are talks about a Cracker Barrel going in near Walden Road and 90.

• 1 year later...

Maps from my favorirte stealth project. They have disappeared off the web site and these links will most likely disappear quickly. Save a copy if you're interested. Note that the new shopping center will take up most of the Mahan side of the heel. Look for a design similar to the St. Johns Town Center but with a much more exciting anchor store but many of the same supporrting players. I expect that this project will be in progress around the FY2010 timeframe.

Project contex map: Project_Context_big.jpg

Site activity map: Site_Activity_big.jpg

Thanks for the site maps. I am still trying to figure out where the Welaunee Blvd is? Does it start right behind the Publix/Lowes off of Capital Cir? Also I guess the mall would be built around the part that says the Heel by I-10 and Summit East.

Cool stealth maps there Ghost!!!

I hope we do get most of the tenants similar to St. John's Town Center in Jax. That would be great even in 2010 or 2011. I wonder if this will be a Simon lifestyle center? They are in all major markets in FL, but not ours. I hope one of your exciting anchor tenants will be Buster and Dave's.

So this is going to go across I-10 from DeVoe's development. Wow that is going to be a ton of retail out that way. They better hurry and widen Mahan out to there. I know they are asking the State and Federal Govs. for monetary support this upcoming year for this widening.

Also this proves that FDOT was way short-sighted for NOT 6 laning I-10 to from US 90 west to US 90 east. I still predict this new expansions will cause bottlenecks where it narrows to the east and west during rush hour. Bad move IMHO and yeah I know they plan to 6 lane all of 10, but who knows in what century that will be.

sbdinc Welaunee Blvd. is currently being constructed right where you said..behind Publix/Lowes and currently will run out only to F'man. After that it will parallel Centerville and Micc. running between them and eventually should have an exit/interchange w/I-10.

Final note on this: With all this new retail proposed: Southside, Welaunee, DeVoe and Fallschase.....one of our current existing malls is going to suffer..BIG TIME and will either have to change what they currently are or maybe just die.

I'm no expert on roads but I think that just four laning Mahan to I-10 is also a mistake. When I used to live in Jefferson county and drive to Tallahasee via US90 that section from I-10 to Cap. Circle was a real bear around 8:00AM. When they widened it to six lanes from Cap. circle to Buck lake it helped a lot. I don't understand why they don't six lane it to I-10. I think four lanes would only barely meet the current needs. By the time they do begin work on Mahan the developments will have started and 6 lanes would defiently be needed. Depending on how much the houses for Welaunee are going to run, I have been looking at that area for years about buying a home there. I love the property out that way.

I'm no expert on roads but I think that just four laning Mahan to I-10 is also a mistake. When I used to live in Jefferson county and drive to Tallahasee via US90 that section from I-10 to Cap. Circle was a real bear around 8:00AM. When they widened it to six lanes from Cap. circle to Buck lake it helped a lot. I don't understand why they don't six lane it to I-10. I think four lanes would only barely meet the current needs. By the time they do begin work on Mahan the developments will have started and 6 lanes would defiently be needed. Depending on how much the houses for Welaunee are going to run, I have been looking at that area for years about buying a home there. I love the property out that way.

BHCav you are right about the lack of foresight, but please don't put that on just Tally. It ain't just a Tally thing. Orlando: ever been on I-4 in downtown area? Just six lanes and they've had the same traffic back ups (Fairbanks Curve) on that freeway since time began. Orange Cnty a few years ago actually voted down a tax to help widen that road. But let's not just pick on ORL, let's take it to South FL. It's an area of over 5 million people and in 1.5 million Palm Beach County their main expressway, I-95 is still 6 lanes in most of the County (South County excluded) and they are just now working to fix that problem and don't get me started on the over used Turnpike where in PBC it's still only 4 lanes North of Boca and backups at the Lantana Plaza can go on for miles during high season. Then let's jump over to TPA Bay, ever been on the parking lot called I-275? SW FL in Naples and Ft. Myers, I-75 just 4 lanes in most of that super fast growing area there too. Ah and the beloved Jax, they too are just starting to solve all their I-95 problems and completing the loop around the city. Both should have been done years ago.

So my point is that I totally agree w/you that when we develop roads we don't use good foresight, but it ain't just a Tally problem, it's a FL problem and more likely a national problem.

And I most definitely agree w/ BHR, Mahan in that area should go to 6 lanes.

Tallahassee Mall is never going to close IMHO. Too many people live too close to it for it to close, and there is so much traffic flow in that area for restraunts, Movies, Pool Halls, Arcades, and Hotels and such, so I you think that Tallahassee Mall is going to close you might as well shut down that whole street.

I tend to agree w/you mracca about the fate of Tally Mall. However I do think it will have to morph into something a little different than it is now to survive this invasion of retail places. Maybe become more of an entertainment area (movies, Barnes-Nobles, etc) than a clothing/retail shopping area?? I mean they will still have some stores like Goody's etc. but they will have to evolve to find their niche IMHO.

I tend to agree w/you mracca about the fate of Tally Mall. However I do think it will have to morph into something a little different than it is now to survive this invasion of retail places. Maybe become more of an entertainment area (movies, Barnes-Nobles, etc) than a clothing/retail shopping area?? I mean they will still have some stores like Goody's etc. but they will have to evolve to find their niche IMHO.

Heck while were talking about widening mahan to 6 lanes out to I-10, what about the part inside of capital circle? Its a very busy road at rush hour times and this is only 4 lanes. When they widened the short part from capital circle to buck lake road I was hoping they would have done this all the way to downtown. Parts of tennessee street are 6 laned but go to 4 and this causes a lot of traffic backups as well. Anybody know of any plans to widen the part inside of capital circle?

Welaunee Blvd

SonyShots007.jpg

Welaunee Blvd facing East

SonyShots008.jpg

Street and Landscaping. Street is partially open for access to business park located near the entrance.

SonyShots009.jpg

Sidewalks

SonyShots012.jpg

More looks in the eastern direction

SonyShots011.jpg

Business Park located near the entrace

SonyShots014.jpg

An old run-down home still standing on new roadway. Appears they don't want to leave.

SonyShots013.jpg

Facing west from business park area

SonyShots006.jpg

Another look west toward Capital Circle NE intersection.

Archived