Welaunee Plantation Development

Florida

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dude, that's somebody's home, and from the looks of it, in good repair. The roof looks intact, the steps aren't sagging and the paint is reasonably new. The blue door rocks. You should be ashamed of yourself for talking trash about our neighbors. New isn't better, it's just more expensive and makes more money for the banks.

Code Enforcement. There's a system we can all be proud of. My favorite feature of that system is that you can anonymously make a complaint. Un-American you say? Naw. It's only fair. Let's say you're getting ready to sell a property and want to make the neighborhood look a little more hoity toity. Just drop a dime or download one of those nice forms on the county web site. The eager beavers from Code Enforcement will come out, take photos, send nasty "clean it up or else" letters, and like magic, your property value goes up a bit and you make a few more dollars. A great strategy is to just file complaints against all the houses on the road leading up to your property that don't meet your artistic standards. It's the American way so no griping about fairness. The very best part is that since it's all anonymous, there's nobody to get mad at you.

It really is a great system for those of us in the land owning and selling class. It kind of bites for the folks of more humble means (living in pink houses and all), but who cares about them. Painting a house pink means that they are low class and worthless. That's what we have Woodville for.

The sad thing is that these jackels in Code Enforcement almost exclusively go after the poor folk and leave the worthies alone. If you want to do an experiment, download one of those forms and file a complaint about the pallets of fertilizer outside of the building material stores (violation of the county code) or one of the many off-premisies business signs in the county (another violation). See how fast those problems are solved by the code being changed or variances being issued.

A few of you might remember some years ago when a nice but senile old man on the south side was shot to death by the police over a code enforcement issue. Granted he was sitting on his front porch with a shotgun across his knees but it was a trash in the yard issue.

TJ, I hope that in your life, you continue to be blessed with wealth and that you never have to live in a pink house.

Code Enforcement. There's a system we can all be proud of. My favorite feature of that system is that you can anonymously make a complaint. Un-American you say? Naw. It's only fair. Let's say you're getting ready to sell a property and want to make the neighborhood look a little more hoity toity. Just drop a dime or download one of those nice forms on the county web site. The eager beavers from Code Enforcement will come out, take photos, send nasty "clean it up or else" letters, and like magic, your property value goes up a bit and you make a few more dollars. A great strategy is to just file complaints against all the houses on the road leading up to your property that don't meet your artistic standards. It's the American way so no griping about fairness. The very best part is that since it's all anonymous, there's nobody to get mad at you.

It really is a great system for those of us in the land owning and selling class. It kind of bites for the folks of more humble means (living in pink houses and all), but who cares about them. Painting a house pink means that they are low class and worthless. That's what we have Woodville for.

The sad thing is that these jackels in Code Enforcement almost exclusively go after the poor folk and leave the worthies alone. If you want to do an experiment, download one of those forms and file a complaint about the pallets of fertilizer outside of the building material stores (violation of the county code) or one of the many off-premisies business signs in the county (another violation). See how fast those problems are solved by the code being changed or variances being issued.

A few of you might remember some years ago when a nice but senile old man on the south side was shot to death by the police over a code enforcement issue. Granted he was sitting on his front porch with a shotgun across his knees but it was a trash in the yard issue.

TJ, I hope that in your life, you continue to be blessed with wealth and that you never have to live in a pink house.

Question: Do we feel the same way, all warm and fuzzy, about the poor ole pink (salmon/aqua) house IF it's owned by a large land-owner or a slum-lord that is just renting the house out and holding out on the property to make big bucks?

IMHO I think code enforcement is absolutely necessary for a successful city. Many of the laws are there for the health, safety, welfare and yes to a lesser degree the aesthetics of a city. They are there to protect us. I also don't think Tally's rules are that strict....just look around. There's always the debate in every city about the anonymous reporting. That type of reporting is nothing unique to Tally. It is put in place to allow folks to report violations w/out fear of repercussions. If you don't think there might be negative repercussions, just write a letter to the editor stating your position on a controversial subject (God, Guns, Gays) and have them print your email address, you'll see.

Like everything else, there will be those that abuse code enforcement reporting. But the rules are the rules and folks will not be cited if the guidelines are not broken. Now I do believe there should be mechanisms in the enforcement to allow exceptions for hardship cases....low income, elderly etc. These could include sliding scale payments, more time, city help etc. but no one is above the law IMHO. I do think the city guidelines should be the bare minimums and the more particular guidelines, like color of curtains etc, should be left up to the individual home-owner associations.

There will always be exceptional cases like those that Ghost is reporting, but again that rings true for about anything. Bottom line for me: code enforcement in principle and purpose works, maybe we just need to tweak some our requirements for those individual hardships and hold them more accountable for the enforcement of big box and commercial properties.

Question: Do we feel the same way, all warm and fuzzy, about the poor ole pink (salmon/aqua) house IF it's owned by a large land-owner or a slum-lord that is just renting the house out and holding out on the property to make big bucks?

IMHO I think code enforcement is absolutely necessary for a successful city. Many of the laws are there for the health, safety, welfare and yes to a lesser degree the aesthetics of a city. They are there to protect us. I also don't think Tally's rules are that strict....just look around. There's always the debate in every city about the anonymous reporting. That type of reporting is nothing unique to Tally. It is put in place to allow folks to report violations w/out fear of repercussions. If you don't think there might be negative repercussions, just write a letter to the editor stating your position on a controversial subject (God, Guns, Gays) and have them print your email address, you'll see.

Like everything else, there will be those that abuse code enforcement reporting. But the rules are the rules and folks will not be cited if the guidelines are not broken. Now I do believe there should be mechanisms in the enforcement to allow exceptions for hardship cases....low income, elderly etc. These could include sliding scale payments, more time, city help etc. but no one is above the law IMHO. I do think the city guidelines should be the bare minimums and the more particular guidelines, like color of curtains etc, should be left up to the individual home-owner associations.

There will always be exceptional cases like those that Ghost is reporting, but again that rings true for about anything. Bottom line for me: code enforcement in principle and purpose works, maybe we just need to tweak some our requirements for those individual hardships and hold them more accountable for the enforcement of big box and commercial properties.

Nope just correcting what I mistakenly thought was a misconception on your part about my vocation. It sure looked like it was directed at me since I was quoted. My misunderstanding, but it sure is hard to tell sometimes your direction Ghost when you start "laying it out there." Maybe confusing us little people is your M.O.? :)

Nope just correcting what I mistakenly thought was a misconception on your part about my vocation. It sure looked like it was directed at me since I was quoted. My misunderstanding, but it sure is hard to tell sometimes your direction Ghost when you start "laying it out there." Maybe confusing us little people is your M.O.? :)

No sweat Ghost. I meant no disrespect either and figured someone like me who can remember collecting Wheat Pennies would understand that. Irony and sarcasm are often difficult to convey here on World Wide Web.

Now where's that sarcasm smiley do-hicky thing?????

Archived