OpenPlans

PVDJack

I met a NYC planning professional this weekend who pointed me to the upcoming OpenPlans:

http://www.openplans.org/

This is the same impressive group behind GeoServer and LimeWire, one of the web's most popular peer-to-peer file sharing programs.

Sounds like one to watch... if we like the looks of the new tools, maybe we could make Providence a test-case for it.

PVDJack

• 4 months later...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From OpenPlans.org

OpenPlans, a site dedicated to helping communities organize virtually to effect real world change, is currently running an alpha testing version of the software here at new.openplans.org. We will continue to roll out new features and enhanced functionality in the coming weeks.

OpenPlans is wiki-based. This means that most pages are editable by members of the site. Membership is free and it takes just seconds to register. 0nce you log in, you may start your own project or contribute to an existing one. We hope you use OpenPlans to share information, coordinate tasks, and build momentum around your project.

OpenPlans is the work of The Open Planning Project (TOPP), a New York City-based non-profit organization dedicated to enhancing citizen and public interest group participation in community planning processes through technology. TOPP imagines OpenPlans as a free, hosted, and shared suite of community organizing tools, and we look forward to providing you with an ever-increasing toolkit for getting things done.

From OpenPlans.org

OpenPlans, a site dedicated to helping communities organize virtually to effect real world change, is currently running an alpha testing version of the software here at new.openplans.org. We will continue to roll out new features and enhanced functionality in the coming weeks.

. . .

Thanks for the heads up Jack. It looks like it's based on Plone (http://www.plone.org) which is the same software we're using for our www.state.ri.us. Very cool to see that.

One thing that is particularly interesting about the wiki-for-planning is that I've been trying to think of a way for the various Prov. neighborhood associations to draft their neighborhood plans online and a wiki is a great tool for that.

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like it's based on Plone (http://www.plone.org) which is the same software we're using for our www.state.ri.us.

Willis-bro,

Please tell more about how you're using wikis to build out the state site. How restricted is access to editing functions? I think it's a great approach for my city, the official website for which, well, uses frames to put the org chart into html. :sick:

Also, I created this project in Open Plans for the Pawtucket Earth Day clean up.

Archived