Hottest small SE city for development, 2005

krazeeboi

Which of these smaller SE cities is the hottest for development right now?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Which will it be?

• Asheville
    • Augusta
    • Baton Rouge
    • Charleston
    • Chattanooga
    • Columbia
    • Greensboro
    • Greenville
    • Huntsville
    • Knoxville
    • Little Rock
    • Mobile
    • Tallahassee
    • Winston-Salem
    • Other

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fort Myers

Didn't I say no south Florida cities allowed? :D:P

But seriously, can someone provide a rundown of all that is proposed/approved/under construction/recently completed in the Fort Myers-Cape Coral area, along with some dollar figures?

The area is part of the south Florida high-growth region, so that is to be expected. I would also like to see how some of these more isolated cities (the ones listed on the poll) stack up in this department. In other words, even though the Fort Myers area is hot with development right now, the area's emerging prominence will be overshadowed by that of Miami, Tampa, and Orlando (even Jacksonville, just because it's in Florida, although north Florida). Most of the other cities on the list have the potential to wield a sort of pronounced regional influence that Fort Myers won't be able to do (at least any time soon).

Has anyone seen the "Little Rock Projects list"?

Little Rock definitely deserves one of the top positions in the south.

Through 2006, several high rise condo projects (3-5) plus smaller ones in downtown Little Rock are going to be completed. Not only that, Little Rock will be getting a new nation-wide appeal attraction (in addition to the recently built Clinton presidential center): The Heifer International Global Village (it's a pretty large nonprofit organization).

Some of the projects announced for completion within the next year....or announced for development (I'm taking quotes from other Arkansans who posted these projects, such as Skirby):

1)

The following is a reproduction of a billboard put up to advertise Argenta Place. This shows a different rendering than before.

argentaboard6ee.jpg

2) The Residences at Building 5 has been announced as a new condo project for LR. The project calls for 12 condos for Building 5 which is located next to the Doubletree Hotel. Five floors will be added to the building. The price for condos will top out at close to $2 million. This project is across the river from the new ballpark. Also, developers are going before the Planning Commission with the $42 million Lighthouse Point project. The project will include 220 apartments and a 206-slip Marina at Lighthouse Point. The development will be East of the Clintion Library on the river.

residences_condos.jpg

3)

The Enclave at the Riverfront is a 260-unit mid-rise apartment complex being developed by Bomasada Group, Inc. in downtown North Little Rock. The property is located on the north side of the Riverfront Drive and east of the Main Street Bridge Street, just across the Arkansas River from the central business district of Little Rock, the River Market District, the Clinton Presidential Center and Park and Heifer International. Alltel Arena is across the street from the project and the new Stephens Baseball Field (Home of the Arkansas Travelers

I saw some of the proposed developments for Little Rock earlier and I was really impressed. The city is really poised to begin making some noise on a regional level.

I like Chattanooga's comprehensive riverfront development plan.

Columbia and Greenville are on their way as well. As for Columbia, in the past year alone, the number of projects announced, under construction, or recently completed represents at least $774 million in investments. Check out the Chattanooga vs. Greenville thread on the Southern USA forum for a list of some of the projects planned/underway in Greenville.

Didn't I say no south Florida cities allowed? :D:P

But seriously, can someone provide a rundown of all that is proposed/approved/under construction/recently completed in the Fort Myers-Cape Coral area, along with some dollar figures?

The area is part of the south Florida high-growth region, so that is to be expected. I would also like to see how some of these more isolated cities (the ones listed on the poll) stack up in this department. In other words, even though the Fort Myers area is hot with development right now, the area's emerging prominence will be overshadowed by that of Miami, Tampa, and Orlando (even Jacksonville, just because it's in Florida, although north Florida). Most of the other cities on the list have the potential to wield a sort of pronounced regional influence that Fort Myers won't be able to do (at least any time soon).

Ft Myers!

Seriously though.....and I said this in the larger cities thread. The best way to gauge development for a city for a specific year....2005 in this case....is to only look at development either underconstruction or completed in 2005. You can't rely on proposals because they are not a sure thing. I will crunch the numbers for some of the cities as I have some free time today.

I will....per your request....exclude south Florida locales. :thumbsup:

Has anyone seen the "Little Rock Projects list"?

Little Rock definitely deserves one of the top positions in the south.

Through 2006, several high rise condo projects (3-5) plus smaller ones in downtown Little Rock are going to be completed. Not only that, Little Rock will be getting a new nation-wide appeal attraction (in addition to the recently built Clinton presidential center): The Heifer International Global Village (it's a pretty large nonprofit organization).

Some of the projects announced for completion within the next year....or announced for development (I'm taking quotes from other Arkansans who posted these projects, such as Skirby):

1)

The following is a reproduction of a billboard put up to advertise Argenta Place. This shows a different rendering than before.

argentaboard6ee.jpg

2) The Residences at Building 5 has been announced as a new condo project for LR. The project calls for 12 condos for Building 5 which is located next to the Doubletree Hotel. Five floors will be added to the building. The price for condos will top out at close to $2 million. This project is across the river from the new ballpark. Also, developers are going before the Planning Commission with the $42 million Lighthouse Point project. The project will include 220 apartments and a 206-slip Marina at Lighthouse Point. The development will be East of the Clintion Library on the river.

residences_condos.jpg

3)

The Enclave at the Riverfront is a 260-unit mid-rise apartment complex being developed by Bomasada Group, Inc. in downtown North Little Rock. The property is located on the north side of the Riverfront Drive and east of the Main Street Bridge Street, just across the Arkansas River from the central business district of Little Rock, the River Market District, the Clinton Presidential Center and Park and Heifer International. Alltel Arena is across the street from the project and the new Stephens Baseball Field (Home of the Arkansas Travelers

Columbia, absolutely. As Andre Duany, the world renowned urban designer says, "Columbia is an old city. It's got good bones." Columbia's central grid is very well laid out and covers a lot of territory. And buidlings now have to be built in an urban manner throughout the city center. The streets are wide and lined with trees. Medians are tastefully planted with flowers, trees and shrubs. The University of South Carolina has begun construction of its 5,000,000 square foot innovation district (AKA research campus) in the southwest quadrant of the city center. Residential land along the river banks is now the most expensive in the entire metro region. A new Publix grocery store that located last year in the city's old Conferate printing plant downtown has spurred over $200 million in residential and other development in the last year alone. The heart of downtown and nearby Five Points are halfway through a combined $50 million plus streetscaping project that very eye-catching. There are renovations and new construction everywhere, with land cleared for yet more new construction. Come see. Come invest. Come live.

This is my preliminary list based solely on residential. Again, a representaive from each city can include commercial development either underconstruction or approved (I'll make that concession) but no proposed. I hope everyone understands my exclusion of proposals. A proposal can linger for years thereby being counted year after year before it's built, if it's ever built.

The list is as follows

1) Greensboro 1330 permits / 104.7 sq miles= 12.70

2) Charleston 856 permits / 104.0 sq miles= 8.23

3) Tallahassee 785 permits / 95.7 sq miles= 8.20

4) Winston/Salem 888 permits / 108.9 sq miles= 8.15

5) Greenville 179 permits / 26.1 sq miles= 6.86

6) Knoxville 566 permits / 92.7 sq miles= 6.11

7) Asheville 249 permits / 40.9 sq miles= 6.08

8) tie Little Rock 680 permits / 116.2 sq miles= 5.85

8) tie Baton Rouge 437 permits / 74.75 sq miles= 5.85

9) Chattanooga 515 permits / 135.2 sq miles= 3.81

10) Huntsville 659 permits / 174.0 sq miles= 3.79

11) Columbia 390 permits / 125.2 sq miles= 3.12

12) Augusta 484 permits / 302.1 sq miles= 1.60

13) Mobile 131 permits / 117.9 sq miles= 1.11

Now, I would personally not consider Greensboro a small city but for the sake of the poll I included it. Fort Myers has been discussed on the other SE development thread. If added, it would be number 1. As I said earlier, this is residential development only. Individuals from each city can provide data for commerical development in each city. That would be definitely time consuming for me. :silly:

For verification purposes, you can research the data yourself from the following sites:

Permit Information

Land area data

Then where is Norfolk and Richmond and Roanoke?

I didn't make the thread, but I would assume that Norfolk and Richmond are larger metros. I guess I'll assume that the maker of the thread also doesn't know much about smaller cities in Virginia, like Roanoke. Nevertheless, there are several southern cities outside of Virginia in this size range that aren't listed. These include:

Shreveport, Lakeland, Daytona Beach, Pensacola, Melbourne, Charleston (WV), Sarasota, Roanoke, and Lexington.

Maybe the originator of the thread just listed cities that were closer to his hometown or that he's knows a little more about?

Boy I tell ya, seems like I get grief for every poll I start lately! Sheesh! :D

Well, for starters, I was only limited to 15 choices; this is why I made sure to include an "other" option.

Secondly, I consider Norfolk and Richmond larger cities, in a tier above those listed here.

Thirdly, I usually don't include VA cities in the polls I originate because VA isn't part of the Southern USA forum, so we rarely have any VA representation on here (the only person I can think of is StevenRocks).

So.........utilize the "other" option to vote for another city. Methinks that's simple enough.

Where is Columbus?

In Georgia.

It is one of the hottest places in the Southeast for development!
Cool; vote "other," specify that you're voting for Columbus, and give us some examples of development occurring there.

Augusta over Columbus??? No way!!!

Augusta doesn't have any votes, so how is it "Augusta over Columbus"?

At any rate, Augusta is Georgia's 2nd largest city, so how is it unreasonable that it is listed?

Thanks for the list, Celeste. It will be interesting to see that same list in about 6 months when a lot of these cities get some of their residential proposals approved.

Boy I tell ya, seems like I get grief for every poll I start lately! Sheesh! :D

Well, for starters, I was only limited to 15 choices; this is why I made sure to include an "other" option.

Secondly, I consider Norfolk and Richmond larger cities, in a tier above those listed here.

Thirdly, I usually don't include VA cities in the polls I originate because VA isn't part of the Southern USA forum, so we rarely have any VA representation on here (the only person I can think of is StevenRocks).

So.........utilize the "other" option to vote for another city. Methinks that's simple enough.

In Georgia.

Cool; vote "other," specify that you're voting for Columbus, and give us some examples of development occurring there.

Augusta doesn't have any votes, so how is it "Augusta over Columbus"?

At any rate, Augusta is Georgia's 2nd largest city, so how is it unreasonable that it is listed?

Columbus is more known (huge corporate base) than Augusta thats why it should be on the list. Columbus is about to reclaim the second largest city status in a few years. Fort Bennings expansion is bringing 30,000 permanent residents to Columbus. That will push Columbus population to around 220,000 in the city. That will be about 25,000 more people than Augusta. I'll look up some of Columbus's current developments to prove its one of the hottest places for growth right now.

Archived