Hottest small SE city for development, 2005

krazeeboi

Which of these smaller SE cities is the hottest for development right now?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Which will it be?

• Asheville
    • Augusta
    • Baton Rouge
    • Charleston
    • Chattanooga
    • Columbia
    • Greensboro
    • Greenville
    • Huntsville
    • Knoxville
    • Little Rock
    • Mobile
    • Tallahassee
    • Winston-Salem
    • Other

This is just my own personal opinion, but I think Augusta is more known than Columbus. Columbus has Ft. Benning, but Augusta has Ft. Gordon, which I've visited several times. Augusta also sits on the Savannah River, one of the major rivers of the South. Augusta also gets national exposure during the Masters. Also, for the most part, when "Augusta" is mentioned in the South, the one in Georgia immediately comes to mind for most, whereas if one simply mentions "Columbus," there will be some ambiguity as to whether the reference is to the one in Georgia or Ohio's capital. At any rate, the title of this thread isn't "Which is Georgia's 2nd city," so that's all I have to say about that. While Columbus may be set to claim that title in a few years, the way it stands now, it belongs to Augusta. But I do admire your zeal for Columbus, and I can assure you that listing Augusta and not Columbus wasn't part of a sinister plot to tarnish Columbus's reputation.

That said, I included the "other" option for a reason.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is just my own personal opinion, but I think Augusta is more known than Columbus. Columbus has Ft. Benning, but Augusta has Ft. Gordon, which I've visited several times. Augusta also sits on the Savannah River, one of the major rivers of the South. Augusta also gets national exposure during the Masters. Also, for the most part, when "Augusta" is mentioned in the South, the one in Georgia immediately comes to mind for most, whereas if one simply mentions "Columbus," there will be some ambiguity as to whether the reference is to the one in Georgia or Ohio's capital. At any rate, the title of this thread isn't "Which is Georgia's 2nd city," so that's all I have to say about that. While Columbus may be set to claim that title in a few years, the way it stands now, it belongs to Augusta. But I do admire your zeal for Columbus, and I can assure you that listing Augusta and not Columbus wasn't part of a sinister plot to tarnish Columbus's reputation.

That said, I included the "other" option for a reason.

I am not saying that Augusta isn't important. I am just saying that Columbus seems to be growing at a very fast rate and should have been listed. Columbus is also on a river, the Chattahoochee which runs from Atlanta through Columbus to the Gulf. Columbus is also a port and handles a good bit of barge traffic. It is true though that when the name Columbus is mentioned, some people think of Columbus, Ohio. When Augusta is mentioned, it could very well mean Augusta, Maine. Augusta is only known a week out of the year with the Masters. Columbus is known because of Fort Benning (one of the world's largest bases), and its huge corporate base with AFLAC, Synovus, TSYS, Carmike Cinemas, etc. Both are good cities. I just think Columbus is more important and should have been listed. I wasn't trying to cause trouble!

I think there is some kind of mix-up in the list of options for this thread. Little Rock is definitely not in the same league as most of the other cities, while Greensboro and Roanoke are, but not listed. :huh:

Why is Little Rock not in the same league as most of these other cities?

Greensboro is listed, and I usually don't include VA cities on polls on the Southern USA forum, since VA isn't part of it.

To be fair to Skyliner, perhaps he could've meant that Little Rock is a step above the cities listed here. But I'm sure he'll clarify that himself.

Little Rock's skyline is certainly impressive for a city its size. It has some density to it as well. I think it represents Arkansas pretty well.

You helped me make my point. Although Greenville is a great city to work, eat, sleep, shop, play, eat more, be entertained, etc., Little Rock is much further along in terms of urban development in its downtown. I see very few cities on this list that have reached the level of L.R. Sorry I didn't make that clear from the start. :blush:

BTW, both of those shots of downtown Greenville only include slightly less than half of the skyline, but they're still very nice. :shades:

Knowing your intentions, I feel bad for responding that way. As you can tell, I interpreted that as an insult, since many of the cities listed are around the same size as Little Rock or slightly bigger.

I'm sorry if those aren't the best photos of Greenville, but those were the best ones I found on google. Please post some more pictures of the city. :thumbsup:

This is my preliminary list based solely on residential. Again, a representaive from each city can include commercial development either underconstruction or approved (I'll make that concession) but no proposed. I hope everyone understands my exclusion of proposals. A proposal can linger for years thereby being counted year after year before it's built, if it's ever built.

The list is as follows

1) Greensboro 1330 permits / 104.7 sq miles= 12.70

2) Charleston 856 permits / 104.0 sq miles= 8.23

3) Tallahassee 785 permits / 95.7 sq miles= 8.20

4) Winston/Salem 888 permits / 108.9 sq miles= 8.15

5) Greenville 179 permits / 26.1 sq miles= 6.86

6) Knoxville 566 permits / 92.7 sq miles= 6.11

7) Asheville 249 permits / 40.9 sq miles= 6.08

8) tie Little Rock 680 permits / 116.2 sq miles= 5.85

8) tie Baton Rouge 437 permits / 74.75 sq miles= 5.85

9) Chattanooga 515 permits / 135.2 sq miles= 3.81

10) Huntsville 659 permits / 174.0 sq miles= 3.79

11) Columbia 390 permits / 125.2 sq miles= 3.12

12) Augusta 484 permits / 302.1 sq miles= 1.60

13) Mobile 131 permits / 117.9 sq miles= 1.11

Now, I would personally not consider Greensboro a small city but for the sake of the poll I included it. Fort Myers has been discussed on the other SE development thread. If added, it would be number 1. As I said earlier, this is residential development only. Individuals from each city can provide data for commerical development in each city. That would be definitely time consuming for me. :silly:

For verification purposes, you can research the data yourself from the following sites:

Permit Information

Land area data

Greensboro population as estimated by the League of Municipalities in 2005 was 228,233.

Baton Rouge 224,097

Several others are just below 200,000....looks fine to include it to me.

Are we talking about only city limits or metro populations? I ask, because several cities, such as Orlando and Fort Lauderdale have smaller populations that many of these cities, but much larger metro areas.

Come on TheLakelander........now really.........would you consider Orlando or Fort Lauderdale small SE cities? Think of their sphere's of influence. Mentally I couldn't even begin to contemplate Orlando as being a small city....regardless of how many people make their home inside the city limits. If that's the case then Atlanta would be a midsized city with their 419,000 people.

I dont think it is #1, but there is plenty of development going on in Baton Rouge due to the fact that the population has doubled after Katrina. It is nearly impossible to find an available house or apartment in BR, and because of this, condo towers, apartment buildings, houses/subdivisions are going up all over the city.

The biggest building currently under construction is RiverPlace Condominiums, at 36 stories.

riverroadarielsm15uc.jpg

I dont think it is #1, but there is plenty of development going on in Baton Rouge due to the fact that the population has doubled after Katrina. It is nearly impossible to find an available house or apartment in BR, and because of this, condo towers, apartment buildings, houses/subdivisions are going up all over the city.

The biggest building currently under construction is RiverPlace Condominiums, at 36 stories.

riverroadarielsm15uc.jpg

Looks awsome!

I chose other. Since South Fla is requested exclusion, I didn't include Ft. Myers in my opinion. I chose "other", because Daytona Beach isn't listed and that city is growing tremendously. Some might argue that the city falls within the Orlando development pool, but oh well. Personally, I consider Daytona it's own entity, as it is a seperate MSA from Orlando.

Archived