Hottest small SE city for development, 2005

krazeeboi

Which of these smaller SE cities is the hottest for development right now?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Which will it be?

• Asheville
    • Augusta
    • Baton Rouge
    • Charleston
    • Chattanooga
    • Columbia
    • Greensboro
    • Greenville
    • Huntsville
    • Knoxville
    • Little Rock
    • Mobile
    • Tallahassee
    • Winston-Salem
    • Other

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know there are more active cities in the Southeast, but on this list, I will have to go with Huntsville. Almost $130M in projects have been announced in the past 3 weeks alone. I would list all of the projects going on in Huntsville, but I am limited on time, so just go to the Huntsville development thread instead (it's in the Alabama subforum :) ).

This is my preliminary list based solely on residential. Again, a representaive from each city can include commercial development either underconstruction or approved (I'll make that concession) but no proposed. I hope everyone understands my exclusion of proposals. A proposal can linger for years thereby being counted year after year before it's built, if it's ever built.

The list is as follows

1) Greensboro 1330 permits / 104.7 sq miles= 12.70

2) Charleston 856 permits / 104.0 sq miles= 8.23

3) Tallahassee 785 permits / 95.7 sq miles= 8.20

4) Winston/Salem 888 permits / 108.9 sq miles= 8.15

5) Greenville 179 permits / 26.1 sq miles= 6.86

6) Knoxville 566 permits / 92.7 sq miles= 6.11

7) Asheville 249 permits / 40.9 sq miles= 6.08

8) tie Little Rock 680 permits / 116.2 sq miles= 5.85

8) tie Baton Rouge 437 permits / 74.75 sq miles= 5.85

9) Chattanooga 515 permits / 135.2 sq miles= 3.81

10) Huntsville 659 permits / 174.0 sq miles= 3.79

11) Columbia 390 permits / 125.2 sq miles= 3.12

12) Augusta 484 permits / 302.1 sq miles= 1.60

13) Mobile 131 permits / 117.9 sq miles= 1.11

Now, I would personally not consider Greensboro a small city but for the sake of the poll I included it. Fort Myers has been discussed on the other SE development thread. If added, it would be number 1. As I said earlier, this is residential development only. Individuals from each city can provide data for commerical development in each city. That would be definitely time consuming for me. :silly:

For verification purposes, you can research the data yourself from the following sites:

Permit Information

Land area data

I think your square mileage figure for Charleston leaves out Daniel Island and chunks of West Ashley.

I think your square mileage figure for Charleston leaves out Daniel Island and chunks of West Ashley.

CorgiMatt,

I'm sorry but I didn't leave anything off from the Charleston figures. I merely gave the information given from the city-data website. I try to post a link to any figures I give so noone can say I used the wrong information. The link is provided in the post you qouted above. It's the link that says "Land Area Data." If the website left off any areas of Charleston then by all means please contact the administrator of that site for an updated land area. Thank you in advance. :thumbsup:

p.s.- Krazeeboi, I'm sorry that I haven't been on top of finding those county figures for you. Some counties reported and others didn't so it would cause for more research from me. I'm 16 days from delievering what I hope to be my last child so I have been quite busy of late. I have time to read but no time to research. :wacko:

Good for you and the hubby. ;)

Right now, the Charleston area is experiencing more of a population boom than anything else. This is not to say that the city/metro isn't experiencing any non-residential development, but it tends to get overshadowed by the residential projects.

• 2 weeks later...

Good for you and the hubby. ;)

Right now, the Charleston area is experiencing more of a population boom than anything else. This is not to say that the city/metro isn't experiencing any non-residential development, but it tends to get overshadowed by the residential projects.

We don't really know whether Charleston is experiencing a population boom any more than any other metro area in SC. So many of the houses being built in the Charleston MSA are second homes for the affluent, many of whom live in the Columbia and Greenville areas.

Becuase there are no cities from FL on the list, I dont know what to vote for. I have been to all those cities except Baton Rouge, Little Rock, Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Mobile, and Knoxville, and everywhere there is so much development it's so craazy! They all are ripe for development and are using this advantage already with new ballparks, courthouses, roads, hotels, condos, and much more.

Plus, it really makes no sense to put south Florida cities on this poll--that whole area is exploding.

St.Pete isnt in south florida its in central but basically the whole state is booming. :)

I-275 Since when does St. Pete fit in with "small SE city"? St. Pete is part of Tampa-St. Pete and is part of very large SE MSA.

St.Pete is a small south east city its around 300,000 and though they technically consider it a part of the tampa metro 2.5 million population is greater on the tampa side i'd really consider just Pinellas County St.Pete's Metro area which would be around 900k but not to forget that there is one city with over 100,000 and several over 50,000 in it so its really hard to say but we arent talking about metro's here just city.

St.Pete is a small south east city its around 300,000 and though they technically consider it a part of the tampa metro 2.5 million population is greater on the tampa side i'd really consider just Pinellas County St.Pete's Metro area which would be around 900k but not to forget that there is one city with over 100,000 and several over 50,000 in it so its really hard to say but we arent talking about metro's here just city.

That is like saying that you would consider Newport News, Hampton, Virginia City , and Chesapeake to all be small cities. Or Richmond to be small city. You have to talk Metro Area for it to make sense. If you were talking about Bradenton or Sarasota, I could give you the small city thing. St Pete is just part of the Tampa St Pete Metro. There are a lot of core city that are small and landlocked, but they are not small cities. You can look at it anyway that you would like. To try to put a core city in a Metro Area as booming small city just doesn't make sense.

We don't really know whether Charleston is experiencing a population boom any more than any other metro area in SC. So many of the houses being built in the Charleston MSA are second homes for the affluent, many of whom live in the Columbia and Greenville areas.

right...all these affluent 2nd homes being built from Wadmalaw to Moncks Corner....j/k

Charleston is definitely undergoing a population boom and that is fueling residential construction.

right...all these affluent 2nd homes being built from Wadmalaw to Moncks Corner....j/k

Charleston is definitely undergoing a population boom and that is fueling residential construction.

No those are the homes being built for residents who are being displaced by absentee homeowners on the peninsula and other exhorbitant areas.

Archived