Hottest small SE city for development, 2005

krazeeboi

Which of these smaller SE cities is the hottest for development right now?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Which will it be?

• Asheville
    • Augusta
    • Baton Rouge
    • Charleston
    • Chattanooga
    • Columbia
    • Greensboro
    • Greenville
    • Huntsville
    • Knoxville
    • Little Rock
    • Mobile
    • Tallahassee
    • Winston-Salem
    • Other

No those are the homes being built for residents who are being displaced by absentee homeowners on the peninsula and other exhorbitant areas.

Out of the 113,000 homes planned and under construction, I'd doubt many are for that. I think its a preety solid statement to say that Charleston is booming with an expected 50 % population increase in 10 years

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of the 113,000 homes planned and under construction, I'd doubt many are for that. I think its a preety solid statement to say that Charleston is booming with an expected 50 % population increase in 10 years

That's probably a bit of a stretch given the last 5 years. According to the US Census

Charleston Pop

2000 - 97,468

2004 - 104,883

Increase = 7,415 or 7.6%

This means in 10 years Charleston will grow about 15%. Not bad but certainly a long way from 50%.

That's probably a bit of a stretch given the last 5 years. According to the US Census

Charleston Pop

2000 - 97,468

2004 - 104,883

Increase = 7,415 or 7.6%

This means in 10 years Charleston will grow about 15%. Not bad but certainly a long way from 50%.

Much of the development is happening in the suburbs right now .... it wouldnt be an overstatement to assume the suburbs are growing much faster than the city, especially in unincorporated areas.

See the map here

This is my preliminary list based solely on residential. Again, a representaive from each city can include commercial development either underconstruction or approved (I'll make that concession) but no proposed. I hope everyone understands my exclusion of proposals. A proposal can linger for years thereby being counted year after year before it's built, if it's ever built.

The list is as follows

1) Greensboro 1330 permits / 104.7 sq miles= 12.70

2) Charleston 856 permits / 104.0 sq miles= 8.23

3) Tallahassee 785 permits / 95.7 sq miles= 8.20

4) Winston/Salem 888 permits / 108.9 sq miles= 8.15

5) Greenville 179 permits / 26.1 sq miles= 6.86

6) Knoxville 566 permits / 92.7 sq miles= 6.11

7) Asheville 249 permits / 40.9 sq miles= 6.08

8) tie Little Rock 680 permits / 116.2 sq miles= 5.85

8) tie Baton Rouge 437 permits / 74.75 sq miles= 5.85

9) Chattanooga 515 permits / 135.2 sq miles= 3.81

10) Huntsville 659 permits / 174.0 sq miles= 3.79

11) Columbia 390 permits / 125.2 sq miles= 3.12

12) Augusta 484 permits / 302.1 sq miles= 1.60

13) Mobile 131 permits / 117.9 sq miles= 1.11

Now, I would personally not consider Greensboro a small city but for the sake of the poll I included it. Fort Myers has been discussed on the other SE development thread. If added, it would be number 1. As I said earlier, this is residential development only. Individuals from each city can provide data for commerical development in each city. That would be definitely time consuming for me. :silly:

For verification purposes, you can research the data yourself from the following sites:

Permit Information

Land area data

Celeste, the problem with your Columbia figures is that 84 of the 125 square miles is Fort Jackson, which would have no permits because it is a federal base.

Note: Sorry Krazee, I didn't realize you had already posted this when I typed it.

Are you sure about that? Even bases expand and build new buildings, which means they would have to apply for building permits as well.

The US Military is exempted from rules and regulations put forth by the local governments. This includes local building inspectors as they are not charged with insuring that buildings on military property meets local building standards. Even the local police have no jurisdiction on a military base unless the military calls them in.

We don't really know whether Charleston is experiencing a population boom any more than any other metro area in SC. So many of the houses being built in the Charleston MSA are second homes for the affluent, many of whom live in the Columbia and Greenville areas.

I hadn't noticed this poll before, but I had to put in my 2 cents. The Chas area is in the beginning stages of a boom both with residential and non-residential development. As mentioned earlier, 113,000 new homes are planned on being built, bringing in almost 300,000 additional residents.

Noisette and Magnolia projects will build an additional 12,000 homes along with offices, retail shopping center, and manufacturing areas. And these areas are within city limits.

The city of Chas is expected to grow to 130,000 in 5 years, and 150,000+ within 10 because of these developments. ALL of the hospitals in the entire metro area are either building brand new complexes or adding expansions to their existing facilities. This indicates the huge increase in demand for health care services...which shows population increases. And to top it off, these hospitals are only building these areas just to catch up!

These housing projects are also not ones meant to house "residents who are being displaced by absentee homeowners on the peninsula and other exhorbitant areas." Many people moving to Chas come from many different areas of SC, the Southeast, the Northeast, and the Midwest. Most are young professionals, single and married with children.

I'm also forgetting the new developments being built West Ashley, on Daniel Island, and on the Cainhoy peninsula...needless to say, my hometown is one of the hottest if not THE hottest city, right now.

I hadn't noticed this poll before, but I had to put in my 2 cents. The Chas area is in the beginning stages of a boom both with residential and non-residential development. As mentioned earlier, 113,000 new homes are planned on being built, bringing in almost 300,000 additional residents.

Noisette and Magnolia projects will build an additional 12,000 homes along with offices, retail shopping center, and manufacturing areas. And these areas are within city limits.

The city of Chas is expected to grow to 130,000 in 5 years, and 150,000+ within 10 because of these developments. ALL of the hospitals in the entire metro area are either building brand new complexes or adding expansions to their existing facilities. This indicates the huge increase in demand for health care services...which shows population increases. And to top it off, these hospitals are only building these areas just to catch up!

These housing projects are also not ones meant to house "residents who are being displaced by absentee homeowners on the peninsula and other exhorbitant areas." Many people moving to Chas come from many different areas of SC, the Southeast, the Northeast, and the Midwest. Most are young professionals, single and married with children.

I'm also forgetting the new developments being built West Ashley, on Daniel Island, and on the Cainhoy peninsula...needless to say, my hometown is one of the hottest if not THE hottest city, right now.

Lots of people are also moving to Columbia from all over SC, including Charleston. And they are moving here from the northeast, Ohio and the west, from all over. And when I house goes up here it is for a first residence, not a vacation home. Tens of millions of northerners have gotten in on the real estate market. The investor home market has been driving touristy areas for several years. And the second home market has been largely driven by wealthy northerners and even wealthy South Carolinians who want to get away for the weekend. Charleston is growing, but it isn't the only place drawing an unprecedented number of new residents.

Lots of people are also moving to Columbia from all over SC, including Charleston. And they are moving here from the northeast, Ohio and the west, from all over. And when I house goes up here it is for a first residence, not a vacation home. Tens of millions of northerners have gotten in on the real estate market. The investor home market has been driving touristy areas for several years. And the second home market has been largely driven by wealthy northerners and even wealthy South Carolinians who want to get away for the weekend. Charleston is growing, but it isn't the only place drawing an unprecedented number of new residents.

I don't know why there is such a misconception about Charleston and vacation homes.... It is not as promenant as most people make it seem and I'd doubt if any wealthy person would want a peice of any of the houses being built becuase they are mostly middle class and suburban..... yup thats the perfect vacation - the Charleston suburbs.

After participating in the "Upstate secession" thread, I'm beginning to think that alot of SC people besides those in the Lowcountry have a huge misconception about Chas. Many people are moving to Chas from SC as well as tons of people from the Northeast, Ohio, and other parts of the Midwest, and these are for permanent residents...not vacation homes. Mt. Pleasant alone, a Chas suburb, has exploded in growth and will be bigger than the city of Greenville with a population over 60,000. Most of the people living there are making permanent homes there. Parts of the city like Daniel Island and Cainhoy are becoming the hotspots for residences and offices. Actually, like I said earlier, hospital growth is one of the key aspects in showing the growth of a city. Chas has the most hospital growth in the entire state! I doubt these hospitals are being built for vacationers and tourists! :rolleyes:

The investor home market drives more of MB's market than Charleston's, because MB mostly is tourism. However, Chas is a working city. Now, the investor home market from Northerners has been the cause of the insane increases in Chas real estate prices, but many people are moving there because of the job opportunities and the quality of life. For many people, living on or near the coast is more appealing than living in a generic, inland city. Until something catastrophic happens, most people will want to move to cities like Chas and Jax with growing job opportunities and access to the beach and rivers.

It's important to point out here that Greenville's city limits are very small - only about 26 square miles - and that Greenville County is the most populated in the state. So saying that Mount Pleasant will soon be larger than the city of Greenville is a bit misleading...

I'm just using the statistic as a point or reference for an actual city's or town's population. The point of what I said is that 2 suburbs of Charleston will probably end up ranking as the 3rd and 4th largest cities in the state (N. Chas. and Mt. P., respectively). I'm not saying Mt. Pleasant is going to end up becoming like the county or metro area of G'ville, but it will be one of the largest cities in SC. :)

There are other people from the state that recognize that Charleston is about to explode! I'm from Columbia originally and I live in Lexington, KY now and trust me there is no shortage of people I meet, work with, or whatever that know Charleston, and want to move there. I can't see it slowing down. That area is gaining serious momentum, and lots of good things are continuing to happen to the port city. I love Columbia and great things are happening there and will continue to for quite some time with the public/private venture of innovista but the coast MB, Chas., & HH will continue to outpace the rest of SC for quite a while, which is pretty obvious in the current census, infact among SC's three largest metros Chaleston is growing the fastest, followed by Columbia, then Greenville.

Yep. I think when the next census comes out, many people will be surprised with Charleston's numbers.

And equally with Columbia's. An article in The State the other day said the Bull Street property is the same size as Charleston's peninsula south of Broad. And that will be just one little piece of inner-city housing built in Columbia by 2010. Lots of houses in lower Richland are being built and will be annexed. Saluda is the only county in Columbia's six-county MSA losing population. And Newberry didn't miss being included in the MSA by much as of 2000, based on commuting patterns and shared cultural and economic amenities. That's another 40,000 likely residents in the 2010 census. WIS-TV, voted best newcast in the state for 3 years in a row, said a couple of weeks ago in a report about the fastest-growing zipcode in the state in NE Richland, that the Midlands is expected to gain "a quarter of a million new residents in the next few years." It'll be interesting!

And equally with Columbia's. An article in The State the other day said the Bull Street property is the same size as Charleston's peninsula south of Broad. And that will be just one little piece of inner-city housing built in Columbia by 2010. Lots of houses in lower Richland are being built and will be annexed. Saluda is the only county in Columbia's six-county MSA losing population. And Newberry didn't miss being included in the MSA by much as of 2000, based on commuting patterns and shared cultural and economic amenities. That's another 40,000 likely residents in the 2010 census. WIS-TV, voted best newcast in the state for 3 years in a row, said a couple of weeks ago in a report about the fastest-growing zipcode in the state in NE Richland, that the Midlands is expected to gain "a quarter of a million new residents in the next few years." It'll be interesting!

Exactly! The Bull Street project, the CCI property and the development on 200 acres on Garners Ferry Rd, in Lower Richland they said they are planning thousands and thousands of housands near Lower Richland blvd. and all of that land will more than likely be annexed...Things will be interesting the next census for both cities :thumbsup:

Exactly! The Bull Street project, the CCI property and the development on 200 acres on Garners Ferry Rd, in Lower Richland they said they are planning thousands and thousands of housands near Lower Richland blvd. and all of that land will more than likely be annexed...Things will be interesting the next census for both cities :thumbsup:

On thing you must realize when comparing Charleston and Columbia's growth is that the city of Columbia probably will be growing just as fast if not faster than the city of Charleston in the near future, but the Charleston Metro area will far out pace the other metros on the state over the next 20 years probably climbing toward 800,000 people by 2025.

On thing you must realize when comparing Charleston and Columbia's growth is that the city of Columbia probably will be growing just as fast if not faster than the city of Charleston in the near future, but the Charleston Metro area will far out pace the other metros on the state over the next 20 years probably climbing toward 800,000 people by 2025.

If 800,000 is all Charleston-North Charleston is expecting by 2025, they are going remain way behind Columbia. Columbia is already fast approaching 700,000.

The Lower Richland tracts have already been annexed. The annexations took place a couple of weeks ago.

If 800,000 is all Charleston-North Charleston is expecting by 2025, they are going remain way behind Columbia. Columbia is already fast approaching 700,000.

The Lower Richland tracts have already been annexed. The annexations took place a couple of weeks ago.

I think 800,000 is going to be reached sooner than 2025. From the developments I've seen, Charleston could reach 800,000 by 2015, and that's without including 2 potential additions to the MSA with Colleton and Clarendon Counties. I recently read where many developments are being planned in Clarendon County, and already Colleton County has many people commuting into Charleston County.

Also, the city of Charleston is experiencing rapid growth from many of the annexations it made in recent years. The Magnolia project will tremendously increase population density near the city center, and don't forget the many neighborhoods being built West Ashley and James Island. Mt. Pleasant is almost maxed out, and the majority of West Ashley is in the city limits of Chas. Also, don't forget Daniel Island and Cainhoy...those areas alone will boost the city's population by 50,000 people in less than 10 years!

• 2 weeks later...

For whatever reason though, Greenville is leading the poll. Just got my vote. The skyline pic of Greenville is probably the worst one I have seen. The tallest buildings aren't even in the pics. As someone said before, don't be fooled by Greenville's flawed city limit population. It has an urban area of 300,000+ and a metro area of around 600,000 or 1.3 million in the old way.

For whatever reason though, Greenville is leading the poll. Just got my vote. The skyline pic of Greenville is probably the worst one I have seen. The tallest buildings aren't even in the pics. As someone said before, don't be fooled by Greenville's flawed city limit population. It has an urban area of 300,000+ and a metro area of around 600,000 or 1.3 million in the old way.

True facts, but I think this poll is going to be biased for the shear fact that there are many more G'ville forumers than Chas or Cola.

Archived