What do you think about South Carolina?

GvilleSC

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's mixed feelings for me. I think..... Violent and poor (sorry) :) But also very beautiful landscape (awesome beaches!)

I love how it is undeveloped, it's the perfect getaway from a busy and hectic life.....

I lived there for a while, so I don't know if you'd consider me an "outsider", but those feelings are what I noticed while I was there (I'm not ashamed to admit it :D) Also, Charlotte is about 2 seconds from the SC border, so I am still practically there....

SC could be the poorest state in America (and NC isn't too far behind), and someone elses post pointed out that it has the highest violent crime rate too...

But I don't wanna bash the state, it has way more advantages than disadvantages (in my opinion)

It was interesting to follow the other topics like this for Georgia and Arkansas and due to a discussion in a thread in the SC section, I thought it would be interesting to see what people from outside the state really did have to say... :shades: Go for it. Inform us

Lawd, you done gone and done it.... :unsure:

Let's see how this one turns out. ;)

It's mixed feelings for me. I think..... Violent and poor (sorry) :) But also very beautiful landscape (awesome beaches!)

I love how it is undeveloped, it's the perfect getaway from a busy and hectic life.....

I lived there for a while, so I don't know if you'd consider me an "outsider", but those feelings are what I noticed while I was there (I'm not ashamed to admit it :D) Also, Charlotte is about 2 seconds from the SC border, so I am still practically there....

SC could be the poorest state in America (and NC isn't too far behind), and someone elses post pointed out that it has the highest violent crime rate too...

But I don't wanna bash the state, it has way more advantages than disadvantages (in my opinion)

What part of SC did you live in? Just curious.

And about the "violent crime" ratings that were just released, I noticed two things after having checked out the study itself. The two states that seemed to have ranked really high were SC and Florida. For one, both states reported a higher percentage of their statistics in comparison with other states and also used a higher number of reporting agencies than many other states. Secondly, both states are tourism-driven. I'm not trying to make it seem as though SC is this crime-free state, but I wanted to give some clarity to that. Also, SC experienced a decrease in the number of murders and rapes during the time period the study focuses on.

Oh, and while we're certainly not rich, I think the poorest state in the Union is MS. SC ranked 43rd in per capita income according to 2004 figures.

Carry on...

Bob Jones university.

Confederate flag in state flag.

There was an article a while back about some religious people trying to create a utopian society with fundamentalists christians somewhere in SC.

Hmm.......Columbia seems nice........

The Confederate flag has never been apart of the SC state flag. Maybe you're thinking of our neighbor to the south, Georgia... But it was atop the statehouse dome and created quite a fuss several years back :whistling:

Bob Jones university.

There was an article a while back about some religious people trying to create a utopian society with fundamentalists christians somewhere in SC.

Yeah, Johnny, South Carolina has the palmetto flag. It's obvious that you're trying to be insulting, but this political correct game you're playing is ridiculous. In case you didn't know, Arkansas' flag has a star in recognition of the Confederacy, and the flag is basically an inverted Confederate battle flag. I love our history, and we should be proud. It's very small to be so nasty about a wonderful state.

South Carolina is actually one of the two Southern states that I haven't bee to (the other being Georgia). However, I think of the Old South charm of Charleston, and beaches. I really would like to visit someday; maybe I'll come over sometime when the Hawgs play in Columbia. Woo Pig Sooie! :D

Yeah, Johnny, South Carolina has the palmetto flag. It's obvious that you're trying to be insulting, but this political correct game you're playing is ridiculous. In case you didn't know, Arkansas' flag has a star in recognition of the Confederacy, and the flag is basically an inverted Confederate battle flag. I love our history, and we should be proud. It's very small to be so nasty about a wonderful state.

South Carolina is actually one of the two Southern states that I haven't bee to (the other being Georgia). However, I think of the Old South charm of Charleston, and beaches. I really would like to visit someday; maybe I'll come over sometime when the Hawgs play in Columbia. Woo Pig Sooie! :D

You should visit! I like the way you think and your open-mindedness. I created this thread to see what others thought and hopefully put to rest some misconceptions about our fair state! But you're right, Charleston is wonderful. One thing is for sure, if you like history, beautiful places, or shopping, you'd fall in love with Charleston. The beaches are wonderful and the rest of the state has a lot of charm too!

I've never been to Arkansas but I think I'd like to visit someday...

Bob Jones university.

Actually, the state flag was created during the Revolutionary War in homage to the palmetto trees that defended Fort Moultrie from British bomardment. The cannonballs merely bounced off the trees! Anyway, the Confederate flag controversy comes from the flag that was flown over the state house for a number of years. It is not flown there now, but it has its own flag pole as a Confederate memorial.

Ah. I was thinking about the confederate flag incident.

I was coming fresh off the "hottest small cities for development" where I thought some guy was saying little rock wasn't in the league of greensville, so I was a little angry....but it turns out that wasn't true.

But once again, i do think of Bob Jones University as one of the first things. I've heard so many things about that place. In addition, I think of Al Sharpton and physical regions similar to Arkansas (minus the beach).

Then again, I've never been there.....much like many people have never been to AR.

Proud of our Confederate history? Sorry Arkansawyer, but that's where my "southernness" ends. Sure, there is a lot to be proud of in the south--- the dialects, the music, the culture.....but the confederacy is not one of them.

Arkansawyer, I know the Arkansan flag. Thanks for warming up my brain, though. You really are quite amazing with those Arkansan facts! Be proud!

In addition, I think of Al Sharpton and physical regions similar to Arkansas (minus the beach).

OH NO! pleeeease someone tell me that Al Sharpton isn't from SC... I really don't know, but I think Jesse Jackson is enough for me... :) But forreal, is he? I'd really be interested in knowing

Hmmm.....why the heck do i think of Al Sharpton.

I remember in the Democratic primaries that he did his best in SC, 3rd place.

I guess Jesse Jackson is the famous black figure from there.....and that's partly why he did so well (close friendship).

SC black population is 30% so of course he did well

:D

I love SC. I think it's one of the more beautiful states that I've visited. (i'm sure monsoon will take issue with my comments though as he seems to frown upon me having any opinions as of late)

I think the upstate area of SC is absolutely breathtaking. I think the beaches are gorgeous. I think Charleston is a gem and as a history buff can't get enough of it. I think someday the Greenville/Spartanburg area will develop into a decent sized metro boasting the nicest skyline in SC.

Beautiful State-

Watching U2 play in Columbia 1994...

Numerous visits to Charleston, I love the view from the rooftops...

Daufuskie Island trip in 2000...

Golf, Golf, Golf...

I hope more geat memories in the future!

I think of friendly people, especially in the Columbia area. There's polite and then there's just plain friendly. I also think of rivers and lakes. And greenery. And palmetto trees. Unfortunately, I also think of a high illiteracy rate and the struggle to improve our statistics across the board. But then North Carolina has a higher percentage of its population living in poverty.

Archived