Could this be Tony Giarratana's next move?

smeagolsfree

I don't know which I like better. This one has aspects I like, but the other one seem a little more striking and bold than this new design. Either will work and fit into the developing landscape I think.

The more I look at it isn't version two just the original minus a tower? They look rather similar the more I look at them, one is more close up though so you can tell more detail. The original looks a little more glassy perhaps.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tony seems to be "the Man." With the Cumberland, Viridian, Bennie Dillon, Stahlman and possibly the Encore 1 and 2 and Signature, his plate seems to be very full. I don't know if he can do much more. Some business leaders may be concerned that Tony may be buying up too many lots, thus not leaving opportunity for other developers. We do need some additional office and hotel towers downtown. We don't need every highrise to be residential. I hope we see a 40 story office tower again soon.

He deserves a lot of credit for investing in downtown. It would be nice to see another tall tower, but I think that's what has been Palmer's problem. It seems that businesses are still content to go to the suburban parks in Brentwood and Franklin.

BTW: When I was in NSH last month, I saw the residential development at Hillsboro and I-440. It's typical of the kind of "Suburban-Urban" (my term) projects that are popping up around ATL. Although, I admit that it looks nice sitting up on that hill.

He deserves a lot of credit for investing in downtown. It would be nice to see another tall tower, but I think that's what has been Palmer's problem. It seems that businesses are still content to go to the suburban parks in Brentwood and Franklin.

BTW: When I was in NSH last month, I saw the residential development at Hillsboro and I-440. It's typical of the kind of "Suburban-Urban" (my term) projects that are popping up around ATL. Although, I admit that it looks nice sitting up on that hill.

LOL! I have called it that term before (suburban-urban). Of course, just down from it is the nice Urban Harris Teeter too LOL!!!

I did'nt know about the web-site. Must be new.

Plans for Church and 11th??

http://www.giarratana.com/Church11th.asp

Must be a concept diagram for what could be considered for that site. I'd still be surprised if he does not revive his original mixed use concept (for Signature) for this location.

I have been intrigued by this location for some time. I always thought that the Church St. viaduct could really add an interesting dimension to a future development there. With possible commuter rail using the tracks below, a creative approach to this property might include a multi-tiered outdoor festival area with entrance levels at Church and at 11th (a level or two below). With ample parking the area around it could grow into something similar to Underground Atlanta.

Could a commuter rail station be built there? Is 12th and Porter still a block away? Would other restaurants move into that area? It's possible that the area would grow towards the gulch development and merge with it over time. Broadway would still be a big canyon to jump... but that's where the area underneath the Broad Viaduct could be used as a connector area to the stuff going up in the Gulch. OK, now my fingers are rambling.

Must be a concept diagram for what could be considered for that site. I'd still be surprised if he does not revive his original mixed use concept (for Signature) for this location.

I have been intrigued by this location for some time. I always thought that the Church St. viaduct could really add an interesting dimension to a future development there. With possible commuter rail using the tracks below, a creative approach to this property might include a multi-tiered outdoor festival area with entrance levels at Church and at 11th (a level or two below). With ample parking the area around it could grow into something similar to Underground Atlanta.

Could a commuter rail station be built there? Is 12th and Porter still a block away? Would other restaurants move into that area? It's possible that the area would grow towards the gulch development and merge with it over time. Broadway would still be a big canyon to jump... but that's where the area underneath the Broad Viaduct could be used as a connector area to the stuff going up in the Gulch. OK, now my fingers are rambling.

12th and Porter is still there and I think the area is ripe for development. Nashville Underground has a nice ring to it ya know. I suppose a station could be built there too. That same track connects to the other one over by the river with a station underconstruction on it now.

12th and Porter is a little further than a block but is in the same general area. This would be a great area for development as the other end of the gulch is going full speed now.

The great thing about this location is that you would have acess not only off of Church but Charlotte and 12th ave. So there could conceivably be three parking entrances to this project, The parking would not have to be below ground due to the nature of the terrain in the gulch. It could be offices, entertainment, shopping, condos. A true mixed use project with a lot more potential than the original Signature had.

Is it just me or does the new rendering of the encore look extremely similar to the viridian?

Oh, and the caption next to the picture says "A 21-story residential tower, with 300 condo units, atop 500 parking spaces with street-level retail"

...as in just one tower?

I like the Encore design as is. We can't expect the whole area to look like the Symphony Hall, and it is inevitable that buildings would be constructed next to the Symphony Hall that would not be the same architectural style. A mix of different styles is interesting to me. I'm very excited about this and look forward to seeing ground break on this project early next year (hopefully).

It doesn't bother me that the second render doesn't show Tower II. I still beleive that if the first tower sells well, there will be a second Tower. Beside, the site is large enough for both Towers. Another good thing is we gained another storey! It's gone from 20 up to 21!

The Church St and 11th concept looks huge! I agree that Tony is looking for feedback on this one, and all I can say is that a project like that will have an absolutely huge impact on Church St, the Gulch, and the surrounding area. I just can't believe how fast things are happening in Nashville right now! I have to pinch myself!!!! :D

One thing about SoBro. The name, for one, was invented a very few short years ago...to be trendy. SoBro used to be known as Black Bottom, where prostitution, illegal gambling, in the early 1900s, it was where liquor could be sold without police intervention, and all sorts of the deliciously sordid activities of the "edge" of town. Some of the worst slums in Nashville's history existed on this land that was called Black Bottom not because it was an area inhabited primarily by black people, but it was named such by James Robertson (one of Nashville's founders) for the rich bottomland of the Cumberland River and the rich black soil in which to grow crops.

The city government decided to clean up this area in the early 1900s, leveling much of it. What has existed in this area south of downtown hasn't been there that long, and most of what remains are low-rise industrial buildings of very little architectural significance. There are exceptions to be sure, but, other than what we see to day, there is nothing of consequence there. Whatever occurs here will, hopefully, following the Plan of Nashville guidelines, but add some nice, shiny things along the way. This isn't 1905, it's 2005 and the monuments we build in this area should be synergistic with one another, but display an extraordinary mix of styles to achieve the eclectic nature we want.

So, with the green light on the stadium and associated projects, hold on to your hats, for all we've seen so far in downtown Nashville, you ain't seen nothin' yet. The vision for this area is amazing. All we've seen yet are small pieces of the overall future. Just think back a couple of years and all those parking lots. It wasn't that long ago that the GEC was a parking lot, the Hilton, the Hall of Fame, the Hilton Park, the Symphony Center. Those projects there represent almost a half billion in investment in a few adjoining blocks downtown where NOTHING was before. Yep, I'm excited.

Tony, I love your building. Make it two, and I'll do your yardwork.

I don't know too much about the timeline to 8th. I'll just be glad when the project opens to 4th. It seems a hundred years. The city put out some threats and the project looks close now. The Hampton Suites will be on the boulevard, so I guess they wanted to make sure there would BE one before they built. I bet we see some action on this soon, I saw some men taking some more core samples today on the site.

Well, my, my. I just zoomed in on the image of Encore and the stores at street retail look a little, uh, ambitious? Gucci? Hugo Boss? And what I guess to be Dolce & Gabbana? My goodness, where's my TJMaxx? Maybe our symphony patrons might need a little something to accessorize before the concert. ha.

I guess if we can have a Hootchie Kootchi Gucci (Hustler Hwood) on Church, why not a Gucci Gucci.

Archived