What Southern cities have you come to appreciate

krazeeboi

Houston - I had zero to no appreciate of it.. even drove through it and thought my beliefs that it wasn't that interesting had been confirmed. But reading all these forums, I'm seeing a lot of really cool architecture and the no zoning laws (businesses near residencies IS good to me).. and the proximity to the ocean (Galveston) is all quite appealing.

Louisville - honestly I just never even had any sense of it whatsoever as a decent size major city in its own way. (Always thought of it as some small town in Kentucky or something).

Asheville - its liberalism is interesting to hear about. I'm intrigued.

Charlotte - Honestly, I'm from the North and spent a lot of time out West.. I know Charlotte has been gettings some major sports teams and the like.. but never had any sense of the massive amounts of local pride centered around that city. I never really thought anything of it whatsoever prior to visiting these forums.

Wilmington - sadly I'd never even heard of it before these forums.

Most of my life I've always been intrigued by things 'out west'.. so getting into this 'down south' and whats down there is really intriguing and fascinating.

• 6 months later...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Memphis -- Since moving to Murfreesboro to go to school, I often drive to Memphis and fell in love. I noticed that this city gets a lot of bad rep for its crime but all cities have crime. The history, vibe, size, and that NIGHTLIFE makes Memphis one of my favorites. Its the most entertaining city in Tennessee and very underrated..Like someone mentioned in another thread, Memphis is treated like a step child.

Nashville-- Going to school in Murfreesboro, I often venture to Nashville. The city is booming! This city is not just about country music and if anyone says this they are ignorant and this pertains to Memphis (being so-called too dangerous). These two cities are really making moves (look at their development lists).

All together Memphis is of preference but Nashville is very nice, just beef up that nightlife---I am not ready to go home at 2:30am ;)

This is a really good thread. For me it was about all the major cities in the area. I knew mostly about Charlotte and Columbia, but cities like Greenville, Norfolk really suprised me. My biggest turn arounds were for Nashville and Atlanta. I always saw Atlanta as this huge place, which it is, but I've come to see that its just like any other southern city with just an extra pinch. I never really thought of Nashville as a bigtime city. I don't know why I thought that but my mind has really changed. And my biggest turn around was that Charlotte was not the center of the the carolinas. Charlotte was always my favorite city and I had the pride like alot of Charlotteans, but that aspect has changed, Alot! I still love Charlotte but theres more out there.

Nashville, Little Rock, Shreveport, and Chattanooga. Great downtowns and progressing.

Augusta, GA

Columbia, SC

Greenville, SC

I have never been to any of these cities except for driving through on the I-20 or I-85 in Greenville. I was never impressed from the interstate (I know that is a poor way to see any place). Now after reading different threads I've come to appreciate them better.

Those of you who said Shreveport have just gone up quite a few spots on my cool-guy-o-meter. :)

But I will say I already had a deep appreciation for Fayetteville, AR, Little Rock, etc. But I have developed more of an appreciation for cities like Baton Rouge, Austin, Birmingham, Richmond, Charlotte, Raleigh, and many others I'd never been to or didn't know much about.

I'm not as well-traveled in the South as I'd like to be, but I've learned a lot by reading the boards here. I've been most impressed with:

Miami (wow)

Nashville (uber-tall on its way)

Mobile (also getting tall for a metro its size)

Norfolk (having grown up there, 10 yrs ago I'd never expect what I see now)

Richmond (lots of good street-level shots have appeared in UP)

Columbia (I just didn't thing anything was there until I visted UP)

Miami is incredible and I'm glad they've been able to mix modern, chic, clean design with the miami art deco. The modern design is nice and still fits the tropical atmosphere.

Norfolk is making big advances but I still think there is a huge void when it comes to modern urban residential design. Many of the building going up are just "plain jane" which is unfortunate. Hopefully a developer will team with a great architect to bring something new to the table.

Archived