Brush Park Condos sell in 12 hours

atperry

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this just my wishful thinking, or is this actually the current demand for living in/near downtown?

All the signs I've seen are that demand is out stripping the supply as far as residential space is concerned in the downtown and the immediate area around it - at least in the past 2-3 years. This is especially true of newly renovated spaces, I think.

Yes indeed there is demand- already is considering the relatively small amount of residential being filled- if the red tape can be conquored. The place could fill up with thousands in 10 years with the right environment. Shopping will follow and for some, private schooling will be the rule of the day for a while.

Peace to Detroit

I really dont see Detroit ever getting up to 2 million again. I believe the city will get back over 1 million but 2 is way out there. People in southeast Michigan are craving for some form of urban living so that is why these developments are filling quickly. More will live in downtown and midtown but the real tricky thing will be getting people to live on the outskirts of the city where there isnt that urban appeal. Add a crumbling school system and the region's willingness to sprawl out and i dont think Detroit will ever be what it was in the 20's and 30's.

Yeah, let's not forget that 2 million+ was actually considered overcrowded since most of the city was (and still is) single family homes. Detroit was unprecedented in that it had a population density comparable to that of many physically denser built cities. Packing that many people in doesn't make sense, not even in the forseeable future.

I'd have to agree there. When Detroit hit 2 million, people were really packed in there. Multiple families were living in small spaces that were originally designed for one family. If Detroit was built with more multi-family apartments and houses it would be a completely different story, though.

Of course today we have the opposite problem. I just can't get over how many for sale signs I keep seeing all over the place. It is a grim reminder that the city is still loosing people at the rate of about 1000 people per month.

A 40 story building will be nice and will provide more residents downtown but that wont stop the people from leaving the city. Unless you think that the poor people of Detroit have just been saving their money to spend on a very expensive highrise downtown. Is that what your thinking?

A 40 story building will be nice and will provide more residents downtown but that wont stop the people from leaving the city. Unless you think that the poor people of Detroit have just been saving their money to spend on a very expensive highrise downtown. Is that what your thinking?

No that isn't what I am thinking. I am saying that if we build enough things to attract people back to the city from the suburbs and other areas of the country then the new projects will make up for the people leaving the city.

I would look to simply slow down the number of people leaving, not necessarily look to bring people in yet. At this point, that is best done by improving the quality of life through improvements of conditions within the city...that is the job of the next administration running the city...improve the quality of life for the residents, not the businesses. The businesses (small) are coming back, but if people keep leaving they will fold just as quickly.

• 3 months later...

We still have to remember that exurban home building is sucking the lifeblood out of everything that is existing now though, including new homes built in the last 10 years. I don't mean to rain on the parade because this is awesome news, but the region is still uncontrolled when it comes to development.

This is evidence of steps being taken in the right direction, but there needs to be evidence on the opposite end that shows development on valuable greenfields is not growth, but future decline.

Archived