River City Marketplace

vladittude0583

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't stand Walmart! I mean if you're at the River City Marketplace, take 95 South to I-295 and I-295 to Lem Turner you'd be at another Walmart in like 10-15 minutes. How many is too many? On a side note I'm glad to see a Cracker Barrel going up there. That area sorely needed one. Not too sure about the other tenants but I'll be taking advantage of Cold Stone, Sushi House and Salsarita's. :D What's Johnny Carino's?

Jmac: Johnny Carino's is another one of the Olive Garden/Carraba's/Maggiano's clones. The food quality is slightly better than Olive Garden, but that's not saying much, is it? ;)

The article in the Times-Union today mentioned that several major department stores were approached as anchors, but all declined. :( It's quite unfortunate when you can't even pull in a Sears...

I personally think the announcement of the theatre chain committing to the Marketplace has been the best news out of the project. It will provide the residents of the Northside with a much needed entertainment option. And the fact that it is a smaller chain (not an AMC) is even better.

• 5 months later...

Just thought I would ask some of you guys who might have been near the area or passed by, how is RCM doing in terms of its construction?

Does it look anything similar to SJTC?

I remember reading an article saying that Phase I would open by end of spring or something like that?

Anyone got pictures of the place so far?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I live on the Northside and let me start by saying that we are glad to see ANYTHING go up in our area. My husband & I built a new home in 2004, and have been waiting patiently for new stores & restaurants, so we do not have to drive across the Dames Point Bridge. Since early 2004 we have been watching "Shopping Center Coming Soon" signs popping up all over the place, but those places have yet to be developed. We're due for a shopping center on the corner of 9A & Alta & several more on Yellow Bluff & New Berlin. We got excited when we saw them start to clear land at Yellow Bluff/New Berlin, but soon found out it would be a Watson Realty office. Who cares!! We're suppose to be getting a Walgreens there too, but God only knows when. Now that would be more helpful, don't you think? Right now there is no place you can stop to get gas or milk on the way home, unless you get off on Hecksher or go up to Publix.

As for Rivercity Marketplace, so far the Pets Mart, Cracker Barrel, Ross, Old Navy, Bed Bath & Beyond & Office Max (I think that's what it is?) have opened. Hollywood Theaters, Lowes, Chili's & Starbucks are next. Rennas Pizza shouldn't be far behind. The Walmart there is 100% better than the one on Lem Turner. I went in that store once & only once. It was dirty and seemed to attract a lower standard of people. Not that Walmart has a higher standard, but lets face it, they have the best prices. Even wealthy people like to save money, but the type of Walmart built in your area, depends on the type of people living in the area.

Despite the stigma that the Northside has gotten in the past, most of the new homes are $250K and up. There are 32 plus new communities, the trailers are slowly disappearing and the climate is changing. I think for most of us, we'd like to see the area from Rivercity Marketplace all the way over to Hecksher Drive called the "new" Northside or the "Northeast" side of Jacksonville, so we can disassociate ourselves from the areas surrounding Dunn Ave & the stigma they've given the name.

• 1 month later...

I live on the Northside and let me start by saying that we are glad to see ANYTHING go up in our area. My husband & I built a new home in 2004, and have been waiting patiently for new stores & restaurants, so we do not have to drive across the Dames Point Bridge. Since early 2004 we have been watching "Shopping Center Coming Soon" signs popping up all over the place, but those places have yet to be developed. We're due for a shopping center on the corner of 9A & Alta & several more on Yellow Bluff & New Berlin. We got excited when we saw them start to clear land at Yellow Bluff/New Berlin, but soon found out it would be a Watson Realty office. Who cares!! We're suppose to be getting a Walgreens there too, but God only knows when. Now that would be more helpful, don't you think? Right now there is no place you can stop to get gas or milk on the way home, unless you get off on Hecksher or go up to Publix.

As for Rivercity Marketplace, so far the Pets Mart, Cracker Barrel, Ross, Old Navy, Bed Bath & Beyond & Office Max (I think that's what it is?) have opened. Hollywood Theaters, Lowes, Chili's & Starbucks are next. Rennas Pizza shouldn't be far behind. The Walmart there is 100% better than the one on Lem Turner. I went in that store once & only once. It was dirty and seemed to attract a lower standard of people. Not that Walmart has a higher standard, but lets face it, they have the best prices. Even wealthy people like to save money, but the type of Walmart built in your area, depends on the type of people living in the area.

Despite the stigma that the Northside has gotten in the past, most of the new homes are $250K and up. There are 32 plus new communities, the trailers are slowly disappearing and the climate is changing. I think for most of us, we'd like to see the area from Rivercity Marketplace all the way over to Hecksher Drive called the "new" Northside or the "Northeast" side of Jacksonville, so we can disassociate ourselves from the areas surrounding Dunn Ave & the stigma they've given the name.

You have got to be kidding me with this "new" Northside or the "Northeast" side of Jville theory of yours. :rofl: If you did not want to be associated with the Northside you should have moved somewhere else. There are areas on the Southside of town that are just as bad as the Northside. There are homes in the areas surrounding Dunn Ave that are valued at well over $250K, come on give me a break. :rolleyes:

And, what the heck qualifies as a lower standard of people? :angry: So, if I paid more for my house than you, does that qualify you and your husband as lower standard people? You have got to be crazy for implying that the type of Walmart built in your area, depends on the type of people living in the area. That was the first super walmart in Jville and one of the oldest walmarts in the areas, hello anybody home. :shok:

You have got to be kidding me with this "new" Northside or the "Northeast" side of Jville theory of yours. :rofl: If you did not want to be associated with the Northside you should have moved somewhere else. There are areas on the Southside of town that are just as bad as the Northside. There are homes in the areas surrounding Dunn Ave that are valued at well over $250K, come on give me a break. :rolleyes:

And, what the heck qualifies as a lower standard of people? :angry: So, if I paid more for my house than you, does that qualify you and your husband as lower standard people? You have got to be crazy for implying that the type of Walmart built in your area, depends on the type of people living in the area. That was the first super walmart in Jville and one of the oldest walmarts in the areas, hello anybody home. :shok:

Tell me, is there a home depot going in as well? It would make sense since all the new homes being built.

As a resident of Orlando, I am a little confused. I thought that Jacksonville is supposed to be a "boomtown" also. It seems strange to me that there are entire "sides" of Jacksonville that aren't growing?? I've been reading a lot about the Northside and how hard it has been to attract retail into that side of town and one shopping center is that big of a deal? Orlando (another boomtown) seems to have equal growth in every direction. Every side of town has regional malls and lifestyle centers and strip centers constantly being built along with tons of new homes. It seems that Jacksonville's growth is mainly along I-95 south of downtown and east of the St. Johns River?? Is that correct?? That seems really strange. Is there not enough growth or is the northside of town that unappealing? The reason I ask is that I am constantly offered a transfer with my employer to Jacksonville which I always turn down mainly because I love Orlando and all the growth and new and exciting things happening here. Lately I have heard that Jacksonville is also a growing city but then I read about these problems with the north side, etc and it seems things are totally different there than here, and I've made a wise choice in turning down the transfers. Is J-ville really an exciting, booming city or not? :blink:

I live on the Northside as well and I'm estatic that we are getting the RiverCity Marketplace. I'm also a business owner and very pleased to have OfficeMax go in. We have needed a movie theater for a long time!

I have no complaints about anything going in. I'm surprised by the post to see that even Sears turned down the offer - we have a JC Penny on Dunn Ave & Lem Turner that has always been kept clean and nice and seem to do pretty well. The see plenty of my dollars! But as for the Walmart on Lem Turner - No Thank you. I was driving to Yulee just for some cleanliness!

I'm very pleased to have this coming. It's new, clean, full of great options for us. And sure the heck beats our food choices within 10 miles radius!!

Archived