TallyVision

Florida

There are certain Gannett news paper websites that are farily nice. I stumbled across the Pensacola newspaper's website and there was another paper in Florida that I looked at which wasn't all that bad!

I think we could use a healthy change in that area. I really hope they would start to put greater emphasis on local business stories. When we get our people's minds on business and off of Government, politics and such we'll see our attitude toward economic development shift for the better.

Problem is, government is our business, so unless the capital moves to Orlando, and FAMU and FSU were to vanish, that won't happen. It'd be like telling Gainesville to stop relying on UF for its opportunities.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't get me wrong. We should continue to cover government in the news, of course! I'm only saying a greater emphasis on business will allow our people to see more than government in our local lifestyle thereby stimulating a more corporate business friendly atmosphere amongst Tallahasseans.

Times are changing, and while I think the coverage now from the news paper is good, they could improve it by hiring a serious business reporter who digs the way we do for business stories.

• 3 weeks later...

The Tallahassee Democrat® has announced its plans for some significant changes to the look of the newspaper starting tomorrow...

...they will be moving to a 6 column format, as opposed to the no-format design they currently use. This is in effort to give the paper "a more comfortable" look. They will even be addressing the banner at the top of the page (that which reads "Tallahassee Democrat") and adding some ads and story guides along the bottom.

Look for these changes and more in tomorrow's newspaper.

I'd like to changes to the Democrat online. It drives me up the wall that the first headlines they put at the top are sports! I'm not into sports, and besides the fact, it just makes the paper look cheap. Sports should not be at the top.

Miami Herald has a good online format. Perhaps Tallahassee should draw from that. There can be sections for news in different regions of the county, including Wakulla, Gadsden and Jefferson. Then of course would be the other typical sections.......Home/Lifestyle, Sports, Entertainment, etc.

While we're on the subject of media, why not discuss the radio media. Tallahasee, to me, seems to lack a good variety of stations. We have 100.7, 102.3, 104.9, 107.9 that all cater to the young "hip" college crowd. We have a jazz and classical station, but I can barely pick them up at the house!

Gainesville has a GREAT variety of stations.....everything and anything you want to hear. I was impressed about that the last time I visited the town over 2 years ago (the only thing I can say good about G-ville :P )

Wow... and here I was thinking the radio was good. I love the Smooth Jazz station, comes in clear at my house, the classical is nice, the Adult Contemporary Stations 107.1 and 98.9 are fine, 96.1 is good ( I enjoy the Tom Joyner Morning Show). I steer clear away from any and all types of Hip Hop Music... can't stand it and I blame it for some of our moral problems in society (very controversial statement). Meanwhile, there is music mixed in on Hip Hop stations that shouldn't be there... belongs on the R&B stations, but that music I'll never hear because I can't bare the other stuff. I don't listen to country music radio, and Tallahassee has tons of Country stations.

I used to enjoy the Oldies, but I can't find that station anymore, I remember it was once Groovin 106. Where is it now? And speaking of those stations I used to like, we had a Reggae station that I couldn't get enough of, but this was when I was a little boy... these days they only place Reggae on weekends, randomly.

There is still the Gospel on the AM dial, as well as some talk stations which is cool. Sports on 1270 is a nice. I think we've got a good variety for the most part, but we could use a little touch of some international flavor.

We still have an oldies station. It's morphed over the past couple years. It was 99.9 Eagle FM, then it became Oldies 99.9, now it is HANK 99.9. HANK is one of those automated radio stations that doesn't have any DJs, and they play a wide variety of music, but leans toward the oldies. The whole automated radio station thing started in Canada and now it's here. A lot of those automated stations have the same name.......Jack, Bob, Hank (there's a HANK FM in Indianpolis, which plays all country).

I get tired of the hip-hop and R&B stations. I usually have my radio glued to HANK or Star 98. I can't tolerate much of anything else. I used to wake up to Steve and Sarah on Magic 107.1, but they annoyed me too much, and so does "Delilah" at night!

While we do have one of the most successful NPR affiliates in the country (WFSU), it would be good to have Air America on one of the AM stations as a counterbalance to Rush and Glenn Beck. Also, I am glad we have an ESPN affiliate, but there should be a local sports show on that station (1410) as well.

While we do have one of the most successful NPR affiliates in the country (WFSU), it would be good to have Air America on one of the AM stations as a counterbalance to Rush and Glenn Beck. Also, I am glad we have an ESPN affiliate, but there should be a local sports show on that station (1410) as well.

I know there is a local sports show on 1270 AM. I didn't know NPR was one of the nation's most successful affiliates. I agree with you... I'd like that counter balance also.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Continuing from the "Whats Tallahassee Missing?" thread...

I agree that the Tallahassee media is sub par. ABC 27 is the best in Tallahassee, regarding graphics and clarity, even though they cant even read the prompter. I had Dignon as a professor for meterology, and I feel like everytime I watch her forecasts im getting a lesson and not a report.

Mike McCall, meterologist for WCTV used to work for WTVT FOX 13 in Tampa, a station that has repeatedly won national awards for best news program. If CBS would pour a little more money into WCTV, they could easily be the best around.

On a weekend trip to Atlanta, we left late and stayed the night in Tifton, and got a station out of Albany, I believe it was NBC. That was a decent station. WCTV was shown in Tifton, so why cant that station in Albany be shown here?

I liked NBC Channel 40 news and was sad when they pulled the plug. They were the best in town to me.

I like Nancy "DingDong" too. I just wish they had better weather graphics for her.

I read where "Hicks on Six" bought the old Florida News Channel Building off Capital Circle NE (it use to be the movie theater.) I was/am hoping they'd move their studio into there. I have no idea what they are waiting on???

Gray Television group owns WCTV here and WJHG NBC 7 in Panama City. Panama City is TV market #157 while we in Tally are market # 109. You'd think w/the same owner and a bigger market (people get paid more money) we'd have much better news. The opposite is actuallly true. So I ask, how can that be so?

And just to add "insult to injury" this better Albany TV station you speak of is also in a smaller market #147 out of only 210 markets.

Go figure???

I agree that the Tallahassee media is sub par. ABC 27 is the best in Tallahassee, regarding graphics and clarity, even though they cant even read the prompter. I had Dignon as a professor for meterology, and I feel like everytime I watch her forecasts im getting a lesson and not a report.

Does anyone else find it funny that we have a weathergirl named Nancy, and she's a tall, voluptous blonde? It's just like King of the Hill! If only she'd call us "sug"...... :P

LOL. I don't even watch KoTH but that was funny... I did see the episode with Randy Travis (my favorite singer) and I thought it was cool. I do think that is interesting that Gray owns a Panama City station. Anyone know if their's is as terrible as ours. There may just be a management problem.

No my parents live in the P.C. market and they watch Channel 7 NBC in Panama City all the time. Their set, weather graphics (they even have VIPER radar) and TV personalities are far far superior to Tally's!

I'm not the only who thinks that...AlaninTally...paging AlaninTally

No my parents live in the P.C. market and they watch Channel 7 NBC in Panama City all the time. Their set, weather graphics (they even have VIPER radar) and TV personalities are far far superior to Tally's!

I'm not the only who thinks that...AlaninTally...paging AlaninTally

Yes! Panama City news just has a much better look. There was some money spent on the set and graphics. I think in general the newscasters are fine on Newschannel 27 (excpet for the one my friends call Drunk Girl...see if you know who I am taking about!) but they just need a more sophisticated station to showcase themselves and of course OUR news!

Archived