TallyVision

Florida

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what is the little WCTV building on monroe? is that just a sub-station/transmitter of somekind?

that sign is sad... maybe we should have the local kindergarten make them a new one out of popsicle sticks and glue... :P

Yeah... sadly that was the only signage, Poonther. The station on Monroe is a substation, or "Tallahassee Bureau"

I'm back....been out of town for work but I'm catching up on the threads now. TJ, Glad you finally took the drive along Hwy 12. Did you drive the whole route from 319 over to 27 in Havana or stop at Meridian?

That is definitely one sad sign up there for WCTV....it's actually the old sign from way back in the day when the Phipps family still owned the station. They also still own the building & property up there along Hwy 12. Gray Television has been leasing from Phipps since buying the station from them in 1996. That "Tree Logo" on the top of the sign is what they use for a lot of their Phipps family business ventures. Very sad that Gray hasn't done something about better signage but then again, they have been planning to move the stations operations from up there for quite awhile now. That building on Hwy 12 is in bad shape & is need of some serious renovation itself. Maybe one day soon Gray will finally get WCTV moved to the old Theater/FNC building they bought on Halstead Blvd.

The old building on North Monroe by El Chico is still owned by the Phipps family also & WCTV has just been leasing space & using it as an in-town news bureau office. They do the same news bureau thing in leased office space up in Thomasville & Valdosta also. The plan right now is to be out of the North Monroe facility once the stations operations are relocated back into town. Actually, Gray Television plans to not be paying anymore rent to the Phipps family for anything in the very near future.

Yea! I am kind of dissapointed with WCTV right now. I use watch WCTV news religously. I don't know but after Sharon Tazewell left WCTV started going down and just they just started reporting on stuff that's how should I say "not really significant." I think Sharon Tazewell is the reason why I got so into the news. Please comeback Sharon.(sighs)

Yea! I am kind of dissapointed with WCTV right now. I use watch WCTV news religously. I don't know but after Sharon Tazewell left WCTV started going down and just they just started reporting on stuff that's how should I say "not really significant." I think Sharon Tazewell is the reason why I got so into the news. Please comeback Sharon.(sighs)

Sharon moved!! LOL!!

Did you drive the whole route from 319 over to 27 in Havana or stop at Meridian?

No... I finished at Meridian. I didn't know the road went all the way to 27.... that's even cooler. It honestly didn't feel much like Tallahassee out there.

Actually, Gray Television plans to not be paying anymore rent to the Phipps family for anything in the very near future.

I'm actually very excited about this, Glenn. I want more information on what they plan to do with their new station and when they plan to do it. I hate to think that we're going to have to wait too much longer for something to be done about our local news programming.

Even FOX49 moved their operations out to Midway, away from their former location which was nearly downtown in the past. I loved when FOX49 was there... of course their broadcast signal wasn't strong from that location, I'm not sure if that's the reason for their move, but I think that location, off of Marriott Drive, was a good location. Just across from the Florida Lottery HQ.

Sadly for us, and as someone else previously stated, Sharon has moved on to a bigger market. She's up in the Raleigh-Durham NC area at NBC 17. It was an opportunity for her to go to work for a network owned station in a much larger market & be back closer to family up in that area. :cry:

57. Sharon Tazewell Weekend Morning Anchor / Reporter WNCN (NBC O&O) 29 Raleigh, NC 12/20/2005

Represented by Headline Media Management

Sharon Tazewell joins WNCN NBC17 in Raleigh as a weekend morning anchor/reporter from WCTV/WTLH in Tallahassee.

Cityboy, I also think WCTV's quality has gone downhill since Sharon left. Have you noticed all the screwups with video lately? Did anyone else hear John Harrington curse on air last week because he was so frustrated with all the screw ups during that particular newscast? It was funny & they quickly cut to a commercial. He apologized right away after they came back on after commercials. Maybe when they get moved into the new studio in town they can make some staff changes.

Ironically, the 10 PM newscast for WTLH Fox 49 is produced by WCTV at their crappy old studios up on Hwy 12 & you can see exact the same newscast again at 11 PM over on Channel 6. It would really be nice if we truly had a 3rd option for local TV news.

Sadly for us, and as someone else previously stated, Sharon has moved on to a bigger market. She's up in the Raleigh-Durham NC area at NBC 17. It was an opportunity for her to go to work for a network owned station in a much larger market & be back closer to family up in that area. :cry:

57. Sharon Tazewell Weekend Morning Anchor / Reporter WNCN (NBC O&O) 29 Raleigh, NC 12/20/2005

Represented by Headline Media Management

Sharon Tazewell joins WNCN NBC17 in Raleigh as a weekend morning anchor/reporter from WCTV/WTLH in Tallahassee.

Cityboy, I also think WCTV's quality has gone downhill since Sharon left. Have you noticed all the screwups with video lately? Did anyone else hear John Harrington curse on air last week because he was so frustrated with all the screw ups during that particular newscast? It was funny & they quickly cut to a commercial. He apologized right away after they came back on after commercials. Maybe when they get moved into the new studio in town they can make some staff changes.

Ironically, the 10 PM newscast for WTLH Fox 49 is produced by WCTV at their crappy old studios up on Hwy 12 & you can see exact the same newscast again at 11 PM over on Channel 6. It would really be nice if we truly had a 3rd option for local TV news.

I'm interested... what happened when he cursed because I obviously missed this. What was the context? What word did he say? Was it a slip or did it seem he did it on purpose? How could you apologize after something like that?

Like you, I'd like to see a true 3rd option for news. For a while before ABC and CBS changed, the FOX news was actually looking rather decent, now its no better than the WB 6 news was. I'd like to see NBC news again. But I've often wondered, why does the same anchor do the 10 O'Clock on Fox and the 11 on CBS? Why not get a fresh face in there just to make it look different. Each station has several personallities at each position (News, weather, sports, special reports), both could use those extra people to staff the other news channels, ABC staff could help boost NBC news, and CBS could mix it up with FOX. I think that would be far more exciting.

I don't think Sharon was the start of the WCTV decline, I think it was Gary Bartlett's departure. He was the local News King in my opinion. A true professional.

I'm interested... what happened when he cursed because I obviously missed this. What was the context? What word did he say? Was it a slip or did it seem he did it on purpose? How could you apologize after something like that?

After multiple screw up's with the teleprompter, camera shots & wrong video feeds old John was pretty frustrated & fed up with it all. He was talking to his news director & I'm not sure if he knew he was even on the air or not but at first he said "Why don't we take a break & figure out what the Hell is going on around here." After another on air screw up, he then said "Well, things have obviously gone all to Hell around here, we'll be right back" When they came back live, he was visibly embarrassed & said he sincerely apologized to all the viewers for his unprofessional outburst & also said he hoped he would still be around after that night to continue delivering the news at WCTV. It's one of those moments that will probably end up on one of those funny video shows years from now.

I don't think Sharon was the start of the WCTV decline, I think it was Gary Bartlett's departure. He was the local News King in my opinion. A true professional.

Yeah, I miss Gary Bartlett as well. I understand he's doing quite well these days selling real estate.

Dang it I missed Harrington cussing. I would have loved to have seen/heard that.

You know last week I read that the Fox affliate in Ft. Myers let the F-bomb slip on-air and now heads are rolling. It was a person being interviewed that said it, but the crew did not bleep it out. One person has been fired for that.

I believe the Tally television DMA only includes Leon, Gadsden, Wakulla and Thomas counties. Yes the signals reach many more counties but those are ones used to determine our ranking (#109) and I believe how much they can charge for commercials and pay staff. Is that true Glenn?

My question/hope is this, with our stations now strongly including Valdosta in their coverage and Valdosta becoming a metro area, why can't our DMA now include Lowndes, Brooks and Jefferson counites. I think that is a fair thing to do. This would increase our DMA housesholds and our ranking thus increasing the money??? Is that how it works Glenn? And who exactly decides what counties are in a DMA and when to increase them.

After multiple screw up's with the teleprompter, camera shots & wrong video feeds old John was pretty frustrated & fed up with it all. He was talking to his news director & I'm not sure if he knew he was even on the air or not but at first he said "Why don't we take a break & figure out what the Hell is going on around here." After another on air screw up, he then said "Well, things have obviously gone all to Hell around here, we'll be right back" When they came back live, he was visibly embarrassed & said he sincerely apologized to all the viewers for his unprofessional outburst & also said he hoped he would still be around after that night to continue delivering the news at WCTV. It's one of those moments that will probably end up on one of those funny video shows years from now.

I don't know how I missed this! That is too funny. Wish I could have seen it live!

Hope it happens again! :lol:

Thanks for sharing that Glenn . And thank you Poonther for helping me find it.

Dang it I missed Harrington cussing. I would have loved to have seen/heard that.

I believe the Tally television DMA only includes Leon, Gadsden, Wakulla and Thomas counties. Yes the signals reach many more counties but those are ones used to determine our ranking (#109) and I believe how much they can charge for commercials and pay staff. Is that true Glenn?

My question/hope is this, with our stations now strongly including Valdosta in their coverage and Valdosta becoming a metro area, why can't our DMA now include Lowndes, Brooks and Jefferson counites. I think that is a fair thing to do. This would increase our DMA housesholds and our ranking thus increasing the money??? Is that how it works Glenn? And who exactly decides what counties are in a DMA and when to increase them.

Our current #109 DMA ranking includes 17 Counties & 259,720 TV viewing housholds according to A.C. Nielsen Media Research which monitors all of this under the watchful eye of the Federal Communications Commission. They must be re-certified every 5 years by the FCC to conduct all these polls & be the guru of this data. Poonther, you are corrrect...Advertising rates & pay scales for media employees are determined by these rankings.

All areas of the US have already been divided up & assigned to a particular DMA (See explanation below)

What is a DMA and how do you determine this?

Designated Market Areas (DMA

Wow thanks for the clarification on the DMA data Glenn. I was way wrong on the counties that make up our DMA. For some reason I thought I read somewhere that it only included the core counties and not the outlying ones. Good to know that it does include much of the surrounding area.

I did read one time that about 5 yrs ago that WTXL was filing a lawsuit over in Suwanee County (Live Oak) b/c the cable company carried the G'ville station WCJB I believe and that violated the DMA agreement. Do you know anything about that and what the outcome was?

It's very odd how they set up the DMA's. An example, I think that Lafayette county should be given to G'ville's DMA and that Liberty (who I am assuming is in the PC DMA) should be ours especially since so many of the folks there work in Leon. Ever head out Hwy 20 after 4pm, if so you'll see the line up all the way to Bristol. Now of course we are debating about FL's smallest two counties in population, so does it really matter? More people will live in Southwood (20K at buildout I think) than in these two counties combined approx. 8K + approx. 8K=16K. :)

I've also read that Jax at number 52 is the smallest market w/a professional football team with the exception of Green Bay. I think that was a concern when they first got a team.

So you'd think that even at number 109 we'd have considerably better local news than Dothan #172, PC#157 and Albany #147. IMO we don't at all. PC and Albany's local news is far better than ours and we are worse or just as bad as Dothan. Both WTVY in Dothan and WJHG in PC are Gray owned stations which WCTV is also.

So the 64 thousand dollar question is why oh why isn't our local news at least better than those smaller markets???????

Will getting Sinclair out of WTXL help?

Just asking for opinions.

So you'd think that even at number 109 we'd have considerably better local news than Dothan #172, PC#157 and Albany #147. IMO we don't at all. PC and Albany's local news is far better than ours and we are worse or just as bad as Dothan. Both WTVY in Dothan and WJHG in PC are Gray owned stations which WCTV is also.

So the 64 thousand dollar question is why oh why isn't our local news at least better than those smaller markets???????

Will getting Sinclair out of WTXL help?

Just asking for opinions.

WOW Poonther... odd you ask that.

I just got off the phone with Robert Burns of News Channel 27 and he was very kind in answering a few questions for me. He tells me that News Channel 27 was just recently purchased within the past few weeks and that some major changes are afoot. I'm cautiously excited about this news. To add to this, Mr. Burns was also very open to some comments on WTXL's news. I told him I appreciate the work he does as an anchor, and expressed my concerns that smaller media markets have news that is "better" than ours in terms of presentation and story coverage. He said he understood, and that he appreciated the manner in which I came to him, not hostile, but with a sincere concern. I think I'm a big fan of this guy now! :thumbsup:

I gave Mr. Burns our UrbanPlanet address and directions to this thread so he or someone from the news channel may begin to lurk around soon to see what we're saying about them. They're always more than welcome to join the conversation and add anything they want to our discussions.

He's sugessted that I also share my concerns with Rachell Ridgeway, Monday from 9a-6p so I'll call her when the time comes. But surely this was a news worthy conversation and I'm glad Poonther drove me to call the station. Sometimes you can do so much talking before you actually want to act on it.

Valdosta & Lowndes County are already part of our local DMA....here are the 17 Counties in the Tallahassee/Thomasville (109) DMA: Gadsden, Leon, Wakulla, Jefferson, Madison, Taylor, Lafayette, Suwanee & Hamilton in Florida. In Georgia, our DMA includes Echols, Lanier, Lowndes, Brooks, Thomas, Grady, Decatur & Miller.

Should Tift county in GA be added to that? I remember seeing WCTV News broadcast there in an overnight stay once recently.

12/18/05 - ...changes are in store for Tallahassee's WTXL. The station was sold to Southern Broadcasting earlier this year. Earlier this month, Richelle Ridgeway took over as News Director, replacing Steve Rollison. The station now has a new General Manager and is no longer sharing one with (Sinclair owned) WTWC. Although WTXL has been sold, it's former owner Sinclair will still have a hand in the station (at least until late 2006) controlling the budget and payroll. Southern Broadcasting now controls news content, programming and decisions regarding staff. Future changes include expanding coverage of Southern Georgia and more general in-depth news reporting.

How did I miss this. This is probably what Robert Burns was telling me about on the phone.

Ask you shall receive:

Tammy Robiconti

Steve Ring I never liked Steve. He was just a little too country for my taste. In his bio they don't reference him being married but having a child. When he was here in Tally he was married. My speculation is that ole Steve got divorced and then decided to move back home to WV. Of course that's only speculation and our expert Glenn might be able to shed some light on the real truth.

Good work TJ!

I may call this Rachel Ridgeway too.

No no EG, Steve didn't go to Raleigh, that was Sharon Tazewell from WCTV aka "Tazie."

Archived