TallyVision

Florida

It makes me so jealous to see a good local anchor like Tammy R go down to Tampa and leave us. She was really good to watch.

Thinking back we've had some really good anchors come and go. One of my all time favorites was Tina Dumbar. She now does segments of Tallahassee Matters on WCOT 13.

I was never all that much a fan of Steve Ring either but I did watch 27 when he was on the staff.

Since you're so good at answering these questions Poonther... what about Tom.... I can't remember the name but short White dude with Reddish hair... he always made me want to eat Lucky Charms.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:rofl: Lucky Charms :rofl:

Tom Siler is his name and I think that's the right spelling. I was told (just official gossip here) that Tom "the shortest weather man in history" retired to Arkansas. Maybe ole Glenn the media expert could help us out on that one too. The way it was told to me was that Tom was kinda forced out to make room for Ding-Dong...."Nancy D." Who I like much better.

Remember for a few months WTXL had what I called dualing weathermen....Tom Siler and Mike Rucker. That was right after Channel 40 news folded. I thought that dual weather anchors was odd. It was like they were trying to "one up" each other. "Hurricane in the Atlantic Tom. Well you think that's bad Mike, there's a tornado on the ground right now in Kansas killing people." And so on.

Tina Dunbar I loved. What a class act she was. Many times I'll watch WCOT just to see her. I am glad she remained in Tally. She should take over one of the anchor desks and spots in town now. I'm sure you see her around City Hall TJ. You should ask her if she has plans to ever do that. Tina Rocks!

I think I'll say something next time I see her.

Speaking of Mike Rucker, the Weatherman turned Republican/Indy politician, what ever happened to him? I think it was a terrible mistake to abandon a successful career in journalism and tie yourself to a political party then try to distance yourself from that party to win over the other side. I thought that was cowardly on his part, but I really liked him as a weather guy. I too thought the dualing weathermen on 27 was odd. I remember those days also. The strongest man won in the end... Nancy Ding-Dong.

In his bio they don't reference him being married but having a child. When he was here in Tally he was married. My speculation is that ole Steve got divorced and then decided to move back home to WV.

Like you said, we're just speculating, but I didn't get the sense from skimming over his bio that he had gotten divorced. It made a point of mentioning his committment to his family.

While we're posting links to the bios of former Tallahassee news personalities that have moved on to other market, I'll add one for Jamie Reese. I had mentioned on page one of this discussion that after working as an anchor on the weekends for WCTV in Tallahassee, she is now working as a weekend anchor for the CBS affiliate in Nashville, TN, whose market my city is in. Just wanted to add a link to her bio just for fun.

Like you said, we're just speculating, but I didn't get the sense from skimming over his bio that he had gotten divorced. It made a point of mentioning his committment to his family.

While we're posting links to the bios of former Tallahassee news personalities that have moved on to other market, I'll add one for Jamie Reese. I had mentioned on page one of this discussion that after working as an anchor on the weekends for WCTV in Tallahassee, she is now working as a weekend anchor for the CBS affiliate in Nashville, TN, whose market my city is in. Just wanted to add a link to her bio just for fun.

Ohh... I remember her. She was a very attractive young lady. :wub: During the 90s there was alot of good young talent that came thru town. I think if those same people were around today, they would have stuck around a little longer to witness the changes.

I'm basing that speculation on the fact that he did not mention his wife by name or even say the word wife. Usually when they are married, they mention their spouses by name in the bios. Even the one of Jamie Reese you gave us mentions her husband Matt. Most bio's in Steve's case read something like Steve and his wife (fill in the blank) enjoy raising their daughter Olivia. I took his comment of commitment to family to mean his family up in WV and his daughter. It wasn't what the bio said that made me think he was separated/divorced, it was what it did not say. Again purely speculation on my part, but I have read of ton of these bio thingys.

Ask you shall receive:

Tammy Robiconti

Steve Ring I never liked Steve. He was just a little too country for my taste. In his bio they don't reference him being married but having a child. When he was here in Tally he was married. My speculation is that ole Steve got divorced and then decided to move back home to WV. Of course that's only speculation and our expert Glenn might be able to shed some light on the real truth.

Good work TJ!

I may call this Rachel Ridgeway too.

No no EG, Steve didn't go to Raleigh, that was Sharon Tazewell from WCTV aka "Tazie."

Good lookin out on the link :thumbsup: I guess the Tallahassee women didn't show Ring much love, that's why he got divorced :lol: Seriously, an old Democrat article stated Steve Ring moving to WV for a anchor position.

...and for the love would someone call Ray Hawthorne and tell him to take that ridiculous look of his face!!

Dude, that is so so wrong...................but so true.

Around my house he's known as Ronald McDonald, Jr.

EG maybe Ring went to Raleigh first and then ended up in WV. Now I'm not sure he's divorce, just silly speculaction on my part.

We've got some great detective work going on here...all the Tallahassee forum users could become private investigators...Ha! :lol: Great updates & info everyone!

I'll have to ask my contacts about old Tom Siler as I thought he was still around town. I believe Mike Rucker is still in town also as I've seen him at Home Depot & Publix. I think he's doing some sort of wealth planning/financial management stuff now but I don't know that for sure. I ask about both of them.

Anyone remember Mike Sims for WCTV?? When he was working here as a weekend anchor, his apartment caught on fire one night while he was doing the newscast & he lost everything....poor guy. Anyway, he got married, had 2 kids & has since moved to San Antonio, TX to be back closer to family. Last I heard he was doing pharmaceutical sales.....better money than TV.

Anyone remember Stephanie Abrams from WTXL? How about Lisa Remillard from WTXL? Stephanie Abrams is with the Weather Channel in Atlanta now as an on-air meteorologist & Lisa Remillard is down in Tampa as a reporter with WFTS/ABC.

And I think someone had asked about party girl Amy Basista.....she's with WCMH/NBC-4 up in Columbus, OH now as an anchor.

We've got some great detective work going on here...all the Tallahassee forum users could become private investigators...Ha! :lol: Great updates & info everyone!

I'll have to ask my contacts about old Tom Siler as I thought he was still around town. I believe Mike Rucker is still in town also as I've seen him at Home Depot & Publix. I think he's doing some sort of wealth planning/financial management stuff now but I don't know that for sure. I ask about both of them.

Anyone remember Mike Sims for WCTV?? When he was working here as a weekend anchor, his apartment caught on fire one night while he was doing the newscast & he lost everything....poor guy. Anyway, he got married, had 2 kids & has since moved to San Antonio, TX to be back closer to family. Last I heard he was doing pharmaceutical sales.....better money than TV.

Anyone remember Stephanie Abrams from WTXL? How about Lisa Remillard from WTXL? Stephanie Abrams is with the Weather Channel in Atlanta now as an on-air meteorologist & Lisa Remillard is down in Tampa as a reporter with WFTS/ABC.

And I think someone had asked about party girl Amy Basista.....she's with WCMH/NBC-4 up in Columbus, OH now as an anchor.

I remember around hurricane time seeing Stephanie on TV thinking... they must have a local news person on their crew just to show them around. I didn't know she was gone!! Seems like I still hear her name at the start of the news.... but maybe I've just been programmed to think this! :lol:

I've never heard of this guy Mike Sims you name. Thats a sad thing that happened to his home. What about the Black guy from news channel 27, I used to think he looked like Luther Vandross, he vanished. And so did Jermaine Jackson... one of my all time favorite weekend personalities.

Glenn, you do a good bit of detective work yourself. If I recall correctly, Ms. Amy Batista got married right? I think she also had some not-so-flattering things to say about Tallahassee when she left.

Glenn, you do a good bit of detective work yourself. If I recall correctly, Ms. Amy Batista got married right? I think she also had some not-so-flattering things to say about Tallahassee when she left.

Sorry to say, Amy Basista is an elitist, snotty ice-queen bi***. I couldn't stand her. She's back in her hometown of Columbus, OH. Ohio can have her, we don't want her. Just what Florida needs, another snotty transplant.

I'm not a big fan of Sarah Grady, either. She did a personal story on me in 2003, so I have personal experience with her. She doesn't score too highly on my list.

On a much lighter note, does anyone find the name Cassanova Nurse hilarious? I mean, I always smile and laugh when I hear his name. :D I wake up to his weather report every morning, he's pretty good. He's also a native Floridian too, which gives him cool points with me. :P

I find that most of if not all of the local meterologist are very good at what they do. Nancy and Mike being at the top of the pack. Like someone else mentioned, watching Nancy is like taking a course in meterology, she explains what each and every little thing she says means which I thought was great back when I was in a meterology class.

Cassanova's face doesn't really match his name. I don't know what I mean by that so don't ask me. :lol:

Jumping over to the news paper for a second. I've been asking for quite some time for the Tallahassee Democrat to give us a monthly business magazine. Still no response. I'm still trying to contact someone at the paper who can give me a follow up story on the Diamond At Monroe, LLC Mixed Use Office building that will be constructed at the intersection of College and Monroe... no answers. I hate vague news reporting that isn't followed up... and its been over 2 months now. What's with that. I think your girl, Juana, has me waiting Poonther! <_<

Nancy Dignon rocks, I pass by her office on TCC's campus all the time. I haven't seen her anywhere on campus. You folk are bringing back some throwback WTXL employees. Steve Ring looked kind of young for his age, looked to be about in his early 30s. As far as Amy Basista goes, good riddance. She resembles a pre-pubescent schoolgirl.

A lot of people don't know this, but Preston Scott (the sportscaster for WTXL) goes to my church. He did a sermon for us 3 weeks ago. Sarah Grady goes to my church also, she's dating this black guy. I know because I've seen both of them at my church.

Sorry to say, Amy Basista is an elitist, snotty ice-queen bi***. I couldn't stand her. She's back in her hometown of Columbus, OH. Ohio can have her, we don't want her. Just what Florida needs, another snotty transplant.

On a much lighter note, does anyone find the name Cassanova Nurse hilarious? I mean, I always smile and laugh when I hear his name. :D I wake up to his weather report every morning, he's pretty good. He's also a native Floridian too, which gives him cool points with me. :P

Agreed about Basista. She always had a look on her face like she just realized that she stepped in and smelled poop on her shoe. And those lips could have been used to siphon the last drops of gas out of a 100 gallon tank.

Cassanova is great b/c any guy who will do the A.M. weather on April Fool's in drag as Nancy Ding-Dong is super cool in my book. That was some funny stuff that day. He's from Tampa.

Hey TJ there is a Tally biz newspaper published every other week. I forget the name of it and I just read it Friday. I'm not sure if the Democrat has anything to do w/it or not.

As far as I know we don't have a formal Business Newspaper. The Tallahassee Magazine, in its last issue had a subsection dedicated to business which they told me they may spin-off into a real magazine if feedback is good. But as far as I know we have no business mag or paper, unless I'm outside of some loop.

But as far as I know we have no business mag or paper, unless I'm outside of some loop.

Outside the loop. There is a twice monthly biz newspaper that is about the size of the entertainment section pull-out in Friday's Democrat. I know b/c I get it in the mail. I think that happens b/c we are Chamber members but the mag. is NOT put out by the Chamber. I am not sure who publishes the newspaper. I do forget the name of it and wouldn't you know it, they just emptied by recycling bin. It's about 2 years old now.

TJ this biz newspaper I am referring to in no way, shape or form comes w/your Democrat. It is a separate publication all together. They must not do a very good job in getting it out since you've never seen it, but it does exist b/c like I've said b4, I've been getting it in the mail for about 2 yrs.

It is a biz newspaper and covers only biz news for our region. It covers from Gulf and Calhoun Counties all the way to Madison and Taylor counties. It also covers Grady, Decatur and Thomas Counties in GA. Usually they have a theme w/each publication like residential developments or the banking industry in the area etc etc. This past one had a great article on the up and coming things happening in Midway. Did you know Midway in 5 yrs will be the largest city in Gadsden County? They are in the process of bldg. tons of homes out there. The mayor out there has really turned things around.

This publication is not a glossy print thing like the silly social rag that is the Tally Mag. It's more like the entertainment section in the Democrat in apppearance.

Ah upon more investigation I found out it's called BUSINESS MATTERS. The offices seem to be up on Remington Green Circle and I think the phone number is 422.7755. If you have Adobe you can see what the cover of it looks like HERE.

The paper itself is not online which I think is kinda odd for a biz paper.

Definately news to me. I'd love to start getting this publication myself. I don't even think they recieve this at City Hall... which is unusual seeing as how we normally recieve everything like this.

We definately need the stories on growth in Gadsden and its cities. All the help the region can get to boost our economy and population in our metro. Great news about Midway... I had no idea.

Anywho... do you think if I call that number they would start to send me a paper? How much is it going to cost me if they do?

Anywho... do you think if I call that number they would start to send me a paper? How much is it going to cost me if they do?

Man TJ, you seem insulted that you did not know this paper was around. It's like I had to prove to you it did exists. :)

If I were you I'd call them up and tell them you work for the City Attorney's office and that your office and most of City Hall to your knowledge does not receive Business Matters. I'd hope they would comp. your office a copy. I get it for free, but maybe in some weird way that's part of my Tally Chamber dues. I'm not sure. All I know is I get it for free and I've never asked for it.

The above telephone number I got from Google and I've called it a few times today and it only rings busy. Here's another number I Googled for it 599.2236. But the address for that one is the Tally Democrat. I'm not sure now if this newspaper IS connected w/the Democrat or if that number is just for something else. You'll have to do a little detective work on your own and find out. Please let me know what you do find out. And enjoy reading it.

About Midway, yeah they are right now bldg. hundreds (yes hundreds) of new homes out there. Several develops are or are about to occur. I saw many homes going up on the southside of I-10 about 1/2 mile west of the exit for U.S. 90. I think this development would be off County Road 159 or very near it. They were smaller starter or affordable homes, but they were nice (from what I could see whizzing past them at 75mph) and afforable housing is definitely needed in this region. Good to hear you are thinking REGIONAL and glad they are coming, unlike many govermental bodies in this area that only think of their own little turf.

Man TJ, you seem insulted that you did not know this paper was around. It's like I had to prove to you it did exists. :)

If I were you I'd call them up and tell them you work for the City Attorney's office and that your office and most of City Hall to your knowledge does not receive Business Matters. I'd hope they would comp. your office a copy. I get it for free, but maybe in some weird way that's part of my Tally Chamber dues. I'm not sure. All I know is I get it for free and I've never asked for it.

The above telephone number I got from Google and I've called it a few times today and it only rings busy. Here's another number I Googled for it 599.2236. But the address for that one is the Tally Democrat. I'm not sure now if this newspaper IS connected w/the Democrat or if that number is just for something else. You'll have to do a little detective work on your own and find out. Please let me know what you do find out. And enjoy reading it.

About Midway, yeah they are right now bldg. hundreds (yes hundreds) of new homes out there. Several develops are or are about to occur. I saw many homes going up on the southside of I-10 about 1/2 mile west of the exit for U.S. 90. I think this development would be off County Road 159 or very near it. They were smaller starter or affordable homes, but they were nice (from what I could see whizzing past them at 75mph) and afforable housing is definitely needed in this region. Good to hear you are thinking REGIONAL and glad they are coming, unlike many govermental bodies in this area that only think of their own little turf.

I was insulted!!! Poonther, Outraged!!!! :angry: How could such good information escape my grasp for so long :P ... 2 months is one thing... but 2 years!!!!!! Let's just hope their info was no better than what we have going here.

I wish more of us would think Regional... it's the only way we're going to build a nicer metro.

TJ, Any luck getting in touch with someone about this publication yet? We to get it in the mail periodically but don't subscribe to it either. I also assumed we were getting it for being Chamber members. You might try calling the Chamber & ask them about it. A few years ago we were approched by a rep from this publication under the guise of doing a story on our business but when the guy got there all he wanted to talk about was the write up we could get if we bought advertising in either "Business Matters" or the "Democrat". I don't remember all the details but they are, or at least they were were back then, affiliated with the "Democrat" in some fashion. Maybe they just use the "Democrat's presses to print it...I really don't remember. I was looking around the office for the last issue we received to give you more contact info but can't find it anywhere. Maybe we'll get another issue soon.

It must be the Chamber membership that brings this publication to both you and Poonther. I haven't tried to make any calls because of the craziness today... but I'll get to it. I've also got to give News Channel 27 a call back to follow up on the phone call with Robert Burns.

Are there any juicy stories in this publication that we might find interesting on Urban Planet? Things we've not discussed.

It must be the Chamber membership that brings this publication to both you and Poonther. I haven't tried to make any calls because of the craziness today... but I'll get to it. I've also got to give News Channel 27 a call back to follow up on the phone call with Robert Burns.

Are there any juicy stories in this publication that we might find interesting on Urban Planet? Things we've not discussed.

It's a good business publication & they definitely have stuff in there that would be interesting & worthy of discussion among our U.P. forum group. Unfortunately, I didn't get to read the latest issue before it disappeared from around the office so Poonther will have to fill us in on the contents of the most recent issue.

Archived