TallyVision

Florida

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I saw on their website, no. They still list the position as open.

I wonder why it's taking them so long. Does WTXL have a very bad rep for news directors? Is WWSB still trying to run things from afar and planning on bringing another Sarasota employee to be the new ND? These questions and more will be answered on the next episode of "AS THE NEWSROOM TURNS"!

:lol:

I wonder why it's taking them so long. Does WTXL have a very bad rep for news directors? Is WWSB still trying to run things from afar and planning on bringing another Sarasota employee to be the new ND? These questions and more will be answered on the next episode of "AS THE NEWSROOM TURNS"!

:lol:

Maybe they do have a bad rep for ND's. Or it could be that WCTV has been the top station in town and none of the past ND's thinks that WTXL can succeed, so they put little effort. Ive always said that WCTV is way ahead of WTXL in technology, but after working with the people at WCTV and touring the WTXL station, I do believe that 27 is going foward by leaps and bounds and is catching up with WCTV very quickly. And when the major satellite networks (dish network, directv) start carrying HD local channels around here, people might start watching 27 more and more beacause of the much clearer HD look. However though, if WCTV goes HD before then that might stop such a thing from happening. I wish WCTV could go HD right now because their new graphics look much better than what they've got now, however the process of taking that station to HD takes some time, some new more sophisticated equipment, and most importantely ..... $$$$$$$$. End of story.

Maybe they do have a bad rep for ND's. Or it could be that WCTV has been the top station in town and none of the past ND's thinks that WTXL can succeed, so they put little effort. Ive always said that WCTV is way ahead of WTXL in technology, but after working with the people at WCTV and touring the WTXL station, I do believe that 27 is going foward by leaps and bounds and is catching up with WCTV very quickly. And when the major satellite networks (dish network, directv) start carrying HD local channels around here, people might start watching 27 more and more beacause of the much clearer HD look. However though, if WCTV goes HD before then that might stop such a thing from happening. I wish WCTV could go HD right now because their new graphics look much better than what they've got now, however the process of taking that station to HD takes some time, some new more sophisticated equipment, and most importantely ..... $$$$$$$$. End of story.

You and Beukeboom make some very good points. WTXL goes through news directors like I go through chicken wings. Ever since 1997 (that's when I first started following them) they had the following people as news directors (I'm going by memory here. If I skip someone, do add it for me): Doug Crary, Dan Aikens (fill-in), Dennis LeClair (fill-in), Steve Rollison, Mike Roberts (fill-in), Richelle Ridgeway and the person they have now. Acting news directors have been Amanda Anderson, Lenita Wesson, Lauren Dorsett, an assignment editor, a GM (Kim Uburteit & Manny Calvo), a chief photog, a station manager (Mike Plummer under the Sinclair agreement), some reporter (I forget her name) etc.

I remember talking to a guy from 27 a couple of years ago at the mall and he told me that if 27 were to ever compete with 6, they needed to hire more people to work there, especially in the production dept. and not have an individual do 2 jobs and only get paid for 1. That way, they would be able to compete with 6 and everything would look a lot cleaner than it does today.

I remember talking to a guy from 27 a couple of years ago at the mall and he told me that if 27 were to ever compete with 6, they needed to hire more people to work there, especially in the production dept. and not have an individual do 2 jobs and only get paid for 1. That way, they would be able to compete with 6 and everything would look a lot cleaner than it does today.

Don't know if that's the case today, but I believe one of the issues 27 has to deal with is WWSB micro-managing things from afar and not knowing the market here personally. 27 has had a lot of issues in the past but since WWSB bought them, they've thrown money at the station to get the equipment but seem to be poor at employer-employee relations.

Don't know if that's the case today, but I believe one of the issues 27 has to deal with is WWSB micro-managing things from afar and not knowing the market here personally. 27 has had a lot of issues in the past but since WWSB bought them, they've thrown money at the station to get the equipment but seem to be poor at employer-employee relations.

You do have a point. They do have POOR employee-employee relations. A case in point was Richelle. Just like what Print Guy said a couple of posts ago.

You do have a point. They do have POOR employee-employee relations. A case in point was Richelle. Just like what Print Guy said a couple of posts ago.

PrintGuy here

It's a matter of choices - for both WCTV and WTXL. Money, as is true everywhere, always has to factor in.

WCTV clearly defines what the market is. I haven't checked lately, however in the past, they've always dominated the

market. They have a 20-year head-start on the competition - and that does matter. A community becomes

accustomed to something - and for better or worse in Tallahssee, that "something" was WCTV.

That's no excuse for failure on the parts of CH 27 or 40 however. Those two stations have been around long enough

and have generated enough long-term capital, that it should be a horse race by now.

The thing about horse races though - is to win - you have to WANT TO race.

In better financial times - those two stations (27 & 40) made plenty of money - which they could have taken and strategically

poured back into their infrastructures. The bright people at WCTV are aware of this... but they're also aware of

human nature. Human nature prevailed.

In recent years - and perhaps forever - the people who buy commodities such as TV stations - simply own them

to turn around the maximum profit margin. Certainly that was the case of WTXL's former owners. They bought the station

for a small fraction of what they sold it for - and the funny thing is - by the time they sold, there was really no station at all.

The old physical plant of WTXL - out on Thomasville Road - had already transfered hands by the time Channel-27 was sold.

WTXL's broadcast studios had been moved to Channel 40's property. So, it was a great business deal. In effect -

the owners made 12 million dollars from the transfer of a broadcasting license. That's all. (Not to mention any other profit they made from selling the old station across from Chiles H.S.)

Unfortunately, that type of deal is horrible for the community overall.

Instead of turning around and investing in the future of communications in a community - any profits become liquid and are

directed elsewhere. Many years ago the Phipps' owned WCTV - and people had mixed emotions about that.

While the Phipps' may not have been overly generous with payrolls, and they may not have stayed competitive on an industry-wide level... they were certainly fully invested in the community. And in fact - they still are. I salute them for that.

Their notion of "local ownership" and "commitment to community" seem like chivalric ideals - compared to most of today's notions of ownership.

Anyway, if either WTXL or Channel 40 want to succeed, it's within their grasp - however it won't be easy and it won't necessarily be cheap. However, in the long-run, it could be extremely profitable. Tallahassee and the surrounding region will

continue to grow. In fact - because of it's virtually undeveloped coastline, within the next two decades I believe it will explode.

Then, the population won't be as intrinsically tied into WCTV... and the market will be large enough to justify expen,ses.

People hunger for quality, local news. Not just in Tallahassee - but Perry and Apalach, Thomasville and elsewhere. With fiber-optic cables there is no reason for a single community to go unnoticed - and do it relatively inexpensively, at the speed of light.

And with proper presentation - Tallahasseans won't feel slighted in news coverage. Increased revenues should lead to increased ability to better cover news.

That's all hinged on owners reinvesting their profits back into a station... and of course, hiring the right people to make it work.

WCTV has succeeded for many reasons - and likely will continue to succeed. In the long-haul, moving to the old FNC building was a great idea. Lots of space (more than most could imagine). Upgraded infrastructure already there. Studio placement not far from downtown and right on the Interstate. It was a wise investment. Now, it's a matter of utilizing it properly (and I have no reason to believe they won't).

If a station owner were to make an overall, dive into the deep-end, commitment to long-term domination of the market - I believe they could make a go of it... however it will take a while (and attention to detail). WCTV has it's weaknesses - and the market (sooner or later) will once again become profitable... and will only grow from there. It'll happen - but only for someone with vision.

Adios muchachos!

PrintGuy

p.s. Mike McCall rocks! (He's a great co-worker as well)

Well Said!

Do you think anyone will ever come in and buy Fox 49? I would think there would be a good market for a strong 10:00 newscast similar to what WCTV does at 11. The 10:00 broadcast now is a joke (not the anchors themselves, but what they have to work with; studios, graphics, etc). I would personally love to see this FOX become a FOX O&O station so they would get the remake many Fox stations around the country just received. I had a small hope once they went to the "myfoxtallahassee.com" that more improvements may be on the way, but that hope quickly faded.

Ahhhhh - PrintGuy - I know you well.

Used to enjoy our many conversations from my "office" to your desk. I last saw you in Wal-Mart a while back - guess it was a LONG while back.

Hope you and your family are doing well.

Mike

--

Miguel et al,

The Burns Tribe is doing well. One in Fr. Lopez H.S., one in Middle School, one in pre-k... and wife who puts up with my insane hours. I'm taking her to dinner tonight. She's a gem of a gal... top caliber. (A word you'll never hear Raniky say on the air).

(Try to get him to say "38-caliber handgun" and listen to what comes out. What a hoot! Ahh, good times.)

I miss Tallahassee and the Big Bend overall. Family gets a little choked-up about it too at times.

For the record - I love the people I used to work with at WCTV and WTXL. They are great people and I have a lot of

respect for them. On a daily basis they "make it happen"... and it isn't always easy. In fact, it's quite hard.

While folks see them on T.V. and imagine the job of reporter/anchor is "The Life of Riley" - it's pretty far from that.

Yes, it can be a lot of fun and it has its great moments - but overall it's a lot of work. Viewers are often critical - and rightfully so - but the poor sucker who slaves away day in and day out - is often on the receiving end of the vitriol.

Anyway - life's pretty good right now. I run a little newspaper in a little town. The T.V. market is Orlando - and their reporters very seldom venture over here (unless another shark bites someone)(We have the unenviable position of world's

most likely beach to be chomped on)(in an ironic twist - the local radio station is WSBB - which stands for "World's Safest Bathing Beach") Yeah... right. Ah, wouldn't I love to do an "Around the Bend" on that one!

Take care and be well.

Robert "PrintGuy" Burns

Miguel et al,

The Burns Tribe is doing well. One in Fr. Lopez H.S., one in Middle School, one in pre-k... and wife who puts up with my insane hours. I'm taking her to dinner tonight. She's a gem of a gal... top caliber. (A word you'll never hear Raniky say on the air).

(Try to get him to say "38-caliber handgun" and listen to what comes out. What a hoot! Ahh, good times.)

I miss Tallahassee and the Big Bend overall. Family gets a little choked-up about it too at times.

For the record - I love the people I used to work with at WCTV and WTXL. They are great people and I have a lot of

respect for them. On a daily basis they "make it happen"... and it isn't always easy. In fact, it's quite hard.

While folks see them on T.V. and imagine the job of reporter/anchor is "The Life of Riley" - it's pretty far from that.

Yes, it can be a lot of fun and it has its great moments - but overall it's a lot of work. Viewers are often critical - and rightfully so - but the poor sucker who slaves away day in and day out - is often on the receiving end of the vitriol.

Anyway - life's pretty good right now. I run a little newspaper in a little town. The T.V. market is Orlando - and their reporters very seldom venture over here (unless another shark bites someone)(We have the unenviable position of world's

most likely beach to be chomped on)(in an ironic twist - the local radio station is WSBB - which stands for "World's Safest Bathing Beach") Yeah... right. Ah, wouldn't I love to do an "Around the Bend" on that one!

Take care and be well.

Robert "PrintGuy" Burns

I do miss those "Around the Bend" stories that you did. I enjoyed them. My parents even enjoyed them. So, did 27 treat you better than 6 or worse? I'm just curious. I have a feeling just about everyone got along good with you. No?

So, we've had now 3 days of Casanova Nurse at 27. What does everyone think? It looks to me like he's improved a lot since we last saw him here. I don't know how he was in Houston. I'm assuming he was the go to person there for Gustav & Ike.

Also, did anyone see that commercial they ran about building that home for Habitat. The one guy they showed banging the hammer looked unsure of himself.

Wow. Mike McCall, Ray Hawthore (I wish he'd still check in from time to time), and now Robert Burns. Welcome to the boards, Robert! Im sure I speak for most when I say we miss seeing you on air here in Tallahassee.

How do you like New Smyrna? I like it down there...my parents have a condo down by the inlet so we venture down there every now and again. I will say that JB's is one of my top favorite places anywhere to eat...hard to beat.

27 should throw up the white flag. The quality of their newscasts is awful with so many factual errors, spelling mistakes and mispronunciations. I think Nurse is as good as he ever was---fine in the mornings but that's it. Even in the mornings he was always a little dry and you never got a feel for who he really was--not much personality. After watching Lauren and Nancy have such a great time on the 5, Nurse is stiff, dry and trying to come across as knowledgeable but falls short. It's good we have McCall at 6 or there would be no one to watch.

27 should throw up the white flag. The quality of their newscasts is awful with so many factual errors, spelling mistakes and mispronunciations. I think Nurse is as good as he ever was---fine in the mornings but that's it. Even in the mornings he was always a little dry and you never got a feel for who he really was--not much personality. After watching Lauren and Nancy have such a great time on the 5, Nurse is stiff, dry and trying to come across as knowledgeable but falls short. It's good we have McCall at 6 or there would be no one to watch.

You're right about 27. I think they're just waiting around to see when to sell it again and if that doesn't happen, let everyone go and just run shows in the news spots. We'll have to see what happens.

I do miss those "Around the Bend" stories that you did. I enjoyed them. My parents even enjoyed them. So, did 27 treat you better than 6 or worse? I'm just curious. I have a feeling just about everyone got along good with you. No?

So, we've had now 3 days of Casanova Nurse at 27. What does everyone think? It looks to me like he's improved a lot since we last saw him here. I don't know how he was in Houston. I'm assuming he was the go to person there for Gustav & Ike.

Also, did anyone see that commercial they ran about building that home for Habitat. The one guy they showed banging the hammer looked unsure of himself.

Hi DXV1,

Around the Bend (ATB) will always be one of my favorite accomplishments. Truly, I have to give a lot of the credit to the incredible photographers who worked with me through the years. They really helped me develope into the reporter I became. Writing for television is a unique world in which every word has to have a complimentary picture. The photogs were splendid.

While it may seem like bragging (and I guess I am), I have been to many cities since Tallahassee and I've never seen a better, more consistant, ongoing series of local features than Around the Bend.

I'm glad your parents liked them as well. In that regard, I have to give Mike Smith of WCTV a good deal of credit. He recognized my ability to tell a good story... and ALWAYS allowed me to do it. (Something that I've found to be a very rare capacity.)

I worked for WCTV for 6-and-a-half years, and 5 of those I did ATB every other day. That's a lot of features.

While the vast majority of ATB's were relatively light fare - on the day of the station's 40th anniversary - I went looking for "Two Egg." All along the route I stopped to ask for directions - from people who had been FIRED by WCTV!

Pam Forrester, John Joyce, Mike Roberts and even Bob Warren all gave me directions.

Mike Smith - much to his credit - looked at it later and laughed. Do you know how hard it was to track-down all those former employees... and then convince them to be on Channel 6? By the way - it was all done in about two hours. It was crazy.

I truly was prepared to be fired. I believe it showed that WCTV is infact bigger than all the petty things that we hear about and read about. It is bigger than any one employee - or even a ship load of them.

But those employees still matter, a lot. I thought it showed how big those former employees were as well. In the course of a 40-year history (now more than 50) any firm has to let people go. It's just so public in TV.

I thought WCTV treated me wonderfully. We just didn't get paid very much - and that was the rub in the long haul. It's hard to make ends meet when you're 35 years old, with a four year degree, 5-10 years experience in the field, a wall full of awards... and you're being paid $20,000 a year before taxes. That's a problem.

I went from 20 a year to $60,000 - when I moved to Miami. Miami's A LOT bigger in population - and that does matter. So I don't really blame anyone for the poor wages - it is what it is.

Unfortunately, because of this, Tallahassee was, is, and will continue to be - largely an incubator of young talent. Many talented people leave the area or the field - simply because of the relatively low wages provided in Tallahassee.

WTXL truthfully treated me fine as well. I didn't care for Richelle's management techniques - all rather abrasive.

I try to get along with others and try to treat others "civily." Conversely, I hope others will return the civility.

Richelle was simply unpleasant to be around. Even on my last night at the station she was being rude to me - so I started singing to her "Thanks for the memories" - in my best Bob Hope voice. I thought she was going to have an aneurysm.

Such is life. Mike Smith could have justifiably fired me many times - but never did. I wouldn't give Richelle the opportunity.

That was the difference. I truly enjoyed my other coworkers at both stations. They were both top-notch people.

WTXL needs a great leader. While Mike Smith has his critics - he has stayed the course. The average time a news director lasts at a station is 1.5-to-2.5 years. Honestly - industry average. Mike has been there for almost 20 years. Unheard of.

I'll not speak ill of most people - because I believe most people are doing their best.

Anyway - I'll continue adding my two cents when I think it would add anything.

Take care,

PrintGuy

I have to give Mike Smith of WCTV a good deal of credit.

Mike Smith could have justifiably fired me many times - but never did. While Mike Smith has his critics - he has stayed the course. The average time a news director lasts at a station is 1.5-to-2.5 years. Honestly - industry average. Mike has been there for almost 20 years. Unheard of.

Mike Smith was the one who hired me as a production assistant/master control op many years ago. He told me in the interview that he liked for people to try new things and expand their abilities. I took him up on the offer and worked my way to all sorts of positions like font op, audio op, asst. newscast director, newscast director and media manager. He even encouraged me to try my hand videography and although I never official was a videographer I was called upon on some occassions to go out and get some video in cases time was the essence and I was closer from the station. So I would go shoot video such as a burning car which occurred a couple of miles from the station and a skeet shoot over in Concord. Both times I even got some sots which wasn't asked of me, but I decided to play reporter. The producer on both occasions decided to not only have a VO from it but a VoSot as well. Cool. My first ever video on-air (with credit) was of some lightning I shot just outside the station. It was so cool looking and Mike McCall, John Reddick and several others were out in the field by the satellite dishes watching. I got enough video to really make a nice montage of lightning strikes. On particular spectacular bit of lightning I slowed down as far as the machines would allow and edited it immediately after the real-time lightning. Mike McCall liked it and used it at the beginning of his 11pm WX. My first on-air credit. Cool.

Also I asked Mike Smith if I could do some MDA music videos since I had (and still have) a fairly large music collection. He gave me the green light and that's when I learned how to do editing on beta machines. Every year since (with one exception) I produced at least 3 videos for the MDA telethon local cutins. I loved doing those things.

The only thing I couldn't convince Mike Smith of doing was compiling WCTV bloopers to air on the last 11 of the year. This was something I saw on WALA in Mobile while growing up in south Mississippi. It was an annual thing for them and one of their most popular pieces. They'd always present it as a 4-5 (or longer) minute kicker. I loved 'em. But Mike vetoed that idea.

Anyway, Mike Smith always treated me fairly and with respect and for that I am very grateful for him.

Around the Bend (ATB) will always be one of my favorite accomplishments. Truly, I have to give a lot of the credit to the incredible photographers who worked with me through the years. They really helped me develope into the reporter I became. Writing for television is a unique world in which every word has to have a complimentary picture. The photogs were splendid.

While it may seem like bragging (and I guess I am), I have been to many cities since Tallahassee and I've never seen a better, more consistant, ongoing series of local features than Around the Bend.

I'm glad your parents liked them as well. In that regard, I have to give Mike Smith of WCTV a good deal of credit. He recognized my ability to tell a good story... and ALWAYS allowed me to do it. (Something that I've found to be a very rare capacity.)

Around the Bend was one of my all-time favorite feature series on television news, and remains so to this day. I was but a young lad back in the 1980s, and Around the Bend was undoubtedly one of the important components of my upbringing that allowed me to appreciate the place where I was growing up. There'd be Sesame Street on the one hand, and Around the Bend on the 6 p.m. WCTV news on the other. It instilled within me a love of community, and a love of the stories that tie all of us together - the common experiences and underlying normative notions with which we can all relate in some way.

Robert, I also remember you once interviewed me at Lake Ella for a news story when the Tallahassee Astronomical Society was out there watching the solar eclipse. My elementary school teachers gave me permission to skip school that morning for the sake of science. You really knew how to get a story right, and I appreciated the way you seemed keenly interested in what I had to say, despite my young age. The WTXL woman who also spoke to me a bit that day didn't convey that same warmth and interest. She was just "doing her job." You seemed to be loving your job.

Finally, you might want to check out a series that WRAL here in Raleigh, NC does called "Tar Heel Traveler." It's of a similar genre to "Around the Bend," although I still think your series was the best of its class. The stories and video clips are here: http://www.wral.com/lifestyles/travel/page/2827222/

Hi DXV1,

I worked for WCTV for 6-and-a-half years, and 5 of those I did ATB every other day. That's a lot of features.

While the vast majority of ATB's were relatively light fare - on the day of the station's 40th anniversary - I went looking for "Two Egg." All along the route I stopped to ask for directions - from people who had been FIRED by WCTV!

Pam Forrester, John Joyce, Mike Roberts and even Bob Warren all gave me directions.

Mike Smith - much to his credit - looked at it later and laughed. Do you know how hard it was to track-down all those former employees... and then convince them to be on Channel 6? By the way - it was all done in about two hours. It was crazy.

I truly was prepared to be fired. I believe it showed that WCTV is infact bigger than all the petty things that we hear about and read about. It is bigger than any one employee - or even a ship load of them.

But those employees still matter, a lot. I thought it showed how big those former employees were as well. In the course of a 40-year history (now more than 50) any firm has to let people go. It's just so public in TV.

I thought WCTV treated me wonderfully. We just didn't get paid very much - and that was the rub in the long haul. It's hard to make ends meet when you're 35 years old, with a four year degree, 5-10 years experience in the field, a wall full of awards... and you're being paid $20,000 a year before taxes. That's a problem.

I went from 20 a year to $60,000 - when I moved to Miami. Miami's A LOT bigger in population - and that does matter. So I don't really blame anyone for the poor wages - it is what it is.

Unfortunately, because of this, Tallahassee was, is, and will continue to be - largely an incubator of young talent. Many talented people leave the area or the field - simply because of the relatively low wages provided in Tallahassee.

WTXL truthfully treated me fine as well. I didn't care for Richelle's management techniques - all rather abrasive.

I try to get along with others and try to treat others "civily." Conversely, I hope others will return the civility.

Richelle was simply unpleasant to be around. Even on my last night at the station she was being rude to me - so I started singing to her "Thanks for the memories" - in my best Bob Hope voice. I thought she was going to have an aneurysm.

Such is life. Mike Smith could have justifiably fired me many times - but never did. I wouldn't give Richelle the opportunity.

That was the difference. I truly enjoyed my other coworkers at both stations. They were both top-notch people.

WTXL needs a great leader. While Mike Smith has his critics - he has stayed the course. The average time a news director lasts at a station is 1.5-to-2.5 years. Honestly - industry average. Mike has been there for almost 20 years. Unheard of.

I'll not speak ill of most people - because I believe most people are doing their best.

Anyway - I'll continue adding my two cents when I think it would add anything.

Take care,

PrintGuy

Ah, yes. I do remember the one about Two Egg. By the way, didn't Pam sue 6 because they let her go due to being pregnant? I thought I remember hearing about that. Would you by any chance know whatever happened to David Bishop, John Lucas, Clay Loney, Mike Nabors, Nolan Lambert, Tony Whitehurst? I remember seeing them on 6 and don't know where they wound up going. I know that David's coanchor on the weekends, Liz Compton, works for the state. I even remember the one you did on JB's BBQ. My family and I started going there a lot after that story aired. He's no longer around. Closed up shop some years back. Don't believe anything took its place.

Ah, yes. I do remember the one about Two Egg. By the way, didn't Pam sue 6 because they let her go due to being pregnant? I thought I remember hearing about that. Would you by any chance know whatever happened to David Bishop, John Lucas, Clay Loney, Mike Nabors, Nolan Lambert, Tony Whitehurst? I remember seeing them on 6 and don't know where they wound up going. I know that David's coanchor on the weekends, Liz Compton, works for the state. I even remember the one you did on JB's BBQ. My family and I started going there a lot after that story aired. He's no longer around. Closed up shop some years back. Don't believe anything took its place.

Here's a little info on Tony Whitehurst:

http://www.rainbowtennis.com/officers.htm

I miss JB's. Pretty good BBQ.

Hi,

Boy, those names bring back a lot of memories. I'm sorry to hear about JB's closing. JB was cool, as was his whole family. The JB's piece aired the weekend of either Labor Day or Memorial Day of that year (think it was '94 but might have been '95). At the time WCTV was a CNN affiliate (as well as obviously CBS). CNN picked up that story nationally and aired it every other hour - that whole three-day weekend!

Poor JB told me - it was three to four weeks before the flood of people from all over the country slowed down.

JB's was located in Beechton, GA... apparently, thousands of "soon to be vacationers" looked up Beechton - and decided to reroute their trip, based upon the story. I'm glad JB and his family were up to the rush. That was a gratifying response to a story. It's always nice when good things happen.

Sadly, as far as my other old co-workers, of most of them I've lost track. I thought Tony Whitehurst was still in Tallahassee - I think he's got his own P.R. firm, but I might be mistaken. I sincerely hope John Lucas and Clay Loney are still in the business. The were both very good reporters and anchors.

John had been quite successful as an anchor in a number of markets (including Gainesville) before reporting from Tallahassee. I know, a very dear friend of his died in Tallahassee a number of years ago. I think that may have taken some of the wind from his sails. I really haven't heard much from John since.

Clay was not only a good reporter and anchor - but a decent fellow all the way around. I believe Clay's at FOX 23 in Tulsa, OK. I wish him the best.

Like so many Tallahassee reporters, David Bishop went into public relations with the state, for a while with Department of Community Affairs as well as the Lottery, I believe. He too, may still be in Tallahassee.

As to the whereabouts of Mike Nabors or Nolan Lambert - I don't know. They were both pleasant guys to work with. That much I do know. Jeff Ehling, was last in Texas (I think Dallas) but that was a long time ago now. Equally long ago, Tamera Iwerks went to LosAngeles and Elizabeth Yeh went to Singapore. When last I looked, Mike Roberts was the News Director at a Television Station in Macon, Georgia (WMGT I think).

As to any law suit between Pam and the station - if it did happen - it happened quietly. I've found - most suits are dealt with outside of the courts. In fact, Pam was pregnant at the time I interviewed her for the two egg story. Pam, I believe is still in the Tallahassee area doing public relations. I believe her firm's name is "Three Star Productions." I liked Pam and worked with her at Florida's News Channel as well as at Channel 6. She hosted a live interview program named "The Florida Room." I was the show's producer. I also produced the Vasilinda Report. Mike is a driven man. I have a lot of respect for him. He does things differently than I do, which made for some interesting moments, but I do have a great deal of admiration for Mike.

I feel as if my career has had a lot of different chapters and at least three of the chapters have taken place in Tallahassee; WCTV, Florida's News Channel, and WTXL. I love our town.

I hope WTXL really kicks into overdrive. I hope WCTV rises higher than it has already. I hope FOX invests in it's local news product and becomes a contender and I sincerely wish that NBC had local evening news. It's tried at least twice (perhaps trice) to no avail. Television news gathering (at least effective news gathering) is an expensive proposition. It's hard to convince a television station owner - that it's a good thing to pour money into an operation which might not work... if the station is already a revenue generator. The only way you could convince someone of that is (a) to have a local owner who just loves a high-profile, Quixotic challenge, (b) have a better plan of operation than anyone else, © have the right staff, willing to do just about anything ethical to win.

Then anything could happen.

PrintGuy

ps. - thanks for remembering Around the Bend. It's any artist's worst fear - that people will cease remembering his or her work. Television is so ethereal. "Poof - it's gone!"

Here's a little info on Tony Whitehurst:

http://www.rainbowtennis.com/officers.htm

I miss JB's. Pretty good BBQ.

Yeah, I miss JB's too. I liked that they didn't smother their ribs in sauce to the point they would slip out of your fingers as you tried to hold and eat them. A lot of places don't do that. I never cared for the steak sandwiches there though. By the way, thanks for the info. on Tony Whitehurst. A friend of mine's mom will like to know about him. She always saw him at the Leon County Courthouse when he was working for 6.

By the way, a buddy of mine informed me earlier in the day that he saw Richelle's profile on facebook. She doesn't have the Ridgeway name that brought her to the dance. She now has Hoenes. Does anyone know how you would pronounce that? :dunno:

Hi,

Boy, those names bring back a lot of memories. I'm sorry to hear about JB's closing. JB was cool, as was his whole family. The JB's piece aired the weekend of either Labor Day or Memorial Day of that year (think it was '94 but might have been '95). At the time WCTV was a CNN affiliate (as well as obviously CBS). CNN picked up that story nationally and aired it every other hour - that whole three-day weekend!

Poor JB told me - it was three to four weeks before the flood of people from all over the country slowed down.

JB's was located in Beechton, GA... apparently, thousands of "soon to be vacationers" looked up Beechton - and decided to reroute their trip, based upon the story. I'm glad JB and his family were up to the rush. That was a gratifying response to a story. It's always nice when good things happen.

Sadly, as far as my other old co-workers, of most of them I've lost track. I thought Tony Whitehurst was still in Tallahassee - I think he's got his own P.R. firm, but I might be mistaken. I sincerely hope John Lucas and Clay Loney are still in the business. The were both very good reporters and anchors.

John had been quite successful as an anchor in a number of markets (including Gainesville) before reporting from Tallahassee. I know, a very dear friend of his died in Tallahassee a number of years ago. I think that may have taken some of the wind from his sails. I really haven't heard much from John since.

Clay was not only a good reporter and anchor - but a decent fellow all the way around. I believe Clay's at FOX 23 in Tulsa, OK. I wish him the best.

Like so many Tallahassee reporters, David Bishop went into public relations with the state, for a while with Department of Community Affairs as well as the Lottery, I believe. He too, may still be in Tallahassee.

As to the whereabouts of Mike Nabors or Nolan Lambert - I don't know. They were both pleasant guys to work with. That much I do know. Jeff Ehling, was last in Texas (I think Dallas) but that was a long time ago now. Equally long ago, Tamera Iwerks went to LosAngeles and Elizabeth Yeh went to Singapore. When last I looked, Mike Roberts was the News Director at a Television Station in Macon, Georgia (WMGT I think).

As to any law suit between Pam and the station - if it did happen - it happened quietly. I've found - most suits are dealt with outside of the courts. In fact, Pam was pregnant at the time I interviewed her for the two egg story. Pam, I believe is still in the Tallahassee area doing public relations. I believe her firm's name is "Three Star Productions." I liked Pam and worked with her at Florida's News Channel as well as at Channel 6. She hosted a live interview program named "The Florida Room." I was the show's producer. I also produced the Vasilinda Report. Mike is a driven man. I have a lot of respect for him. He does things differently than I do, which made for some interesting moments, but I do have a great deal of admiration for Mike.

I feel as if my career has had a lot of different chapters and at least three of the chapters have taken place in Tallahassee; WCTV, Florida's News Channel, and WTXL. I love our town.

I hope WTXL really kicks into overdrive. I hope WCTV rises higher than it has already. I hope FOX invests in it's local news product and becomes a contender and I sincerely wish that NBC had local evening news. It's tried at least twice (perhaps trice) to no avail. Television news gathering (at least effective news gathering) is an expensive proposition. It's hard to convince a television station owner - that it's a good thing to pour money into an operation which might not work... if the station is already a revenue generator. The only way you could convince someone of that is (a) to have a local owner who just loves a high-profile, Quixotic challenge, (b) have a better plan of operation than anyone else,

Archived