TallyVision

Florida

Yes, professionalism and intelligence at channel 27 have been thrown out the window. I believe there is not a sole in the weather department with a degree in meteorology, and Mr. Nurse is the only one who has graduated from college with a geography degree. That's intelligence in a severe weather market. Can't wait until Priem is gone too. I get downsizing, but come on. One female anchor per show and students on air. No wonder channel 6 is killing them in the ratings. There are double digit mistakes on any given show. Print Guy, they would do well to have you as their main anchor---let's start a petition to bring you back!!!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, professionalism and intelligence at channel 27 have been thrown out the window. I believe there is not a sole in the weather department with a degree in meteorology, and Mr. Nurse is the only one who has graduated from college with a geography degree. That's intelligence in a severe weather market. Can't wait until Priem is gone too. I get downsizing, but come on. One female anchor per show and students on air. No wonder channel 6 is killing them in the ratings. There are double digit mistakes on any given show. Print Guy, they would do well to have you as their main anchor---let's start a petition to bring you back!!!

Watching the WCTV stock ticker this afternoon I noticed Gray Communication stock (WCTV's owners) is down to sixty-nine cents a share. Now admittedly their stock has always pretty much been a joke (we were encouraged to invest in stock while working there but I don't know of anyone who did) but it's tanking so badly I wonder if the rumors of a sell-off of several Gray stations is getting any more solid. I doubt WCTV will be put on the block since it has always been one of the few consistent pofitable stations in the Gray lineup but ever since they went on a buying spree several years ago, their finances has not been that great. Anyone hear any info on this?

I noticed tonight and recently that some stories have no audio on them at all. Has anyone else noticed that or is it just me? To me that's not right. They're almost going back to the way it was when they had their master control out of Little Rock. By the way, their weekend sports guy also does news during the week (reporter). He has no enthusiasm on air at all. Its like he's just doing it for the hell of it. I don't like the weekend weather guy, Jason Adams. He's really dry with no personality at all. I'm surprised Rex hasn't quit on them since going to the mornings is a demotion. That happened with Bob Trotter years ago. He was put on the weekends when Steve Ring came back. Bob left once his contract ended. I saw him up at FSU once looking for a job there when he was still anchoring here while I was in college.

I noticed tonight and recently that some stories have no audio on them at all. Has anyone else noticed that or is it just me? To me that's not right. They're almost going back to the way it was when they had their master control out of Little Rock. By the way, their weekend sports guy also does news during the week (reporter). He has no enthusiasm on air at all. Its like he's just doing it for the hell of it. I don't like the weekend weather guy, Jason Adams. He's really dry with no personality at all. I'm surprised Rex hasn't quit on them since going to the mornings is a demotion. That happened with Bob Trotter years ago. He was put on the weekends when Steve Ring came back. Bob left once his contract ended. I saw him up at FSU once looking for a job there when he was still anchoring here while I was in college.

I notice they normally don't put some of their reporters' bios online so I wonder how many of them have left and also how many of their photogs and producers left as well. Seems like they have a plethora of rookies lately.

I notice they normally don't put some of their reporters' bios online so I wonder how many of them have left and also how many of their photogs and producers left as well. Seems like they have a plethora of rookies lately.

Hi TallyViewers,

That "lack of bio" thing on 27's website has bothered me too, looking at it from afar. I've not seen Todd Morrill and/or Rebecca Baer really mentioned lately - however when going to Channel-27's website - I have a hard time finding the staff listing anyway.

I believe a newsroom's staff is its public face - and is therefore any station's identity in the community. To downplay staff is a big mistake from a branding/marketing perspective. I appreciate the vote of confidence on my reemergence in Tallahassee. I think commitments to change would have to be rock solid, and being older and wiser, I suspect they'd also have to be in writing. And that's at any station. I think Tallahassee is the finest city of its size in the Southeast, and perhaps even the country. I really do love it. I see WTXL's website - and in the banner they mention Valdosta. When was a Channel 27 reporter last in Valdosta? Honestly. It's as if writing it on a website - makes it so.

When people see that, it destroys credibility. I don't know what to say. If I lived in Tallahssee and read the website claiming Valdosta as part of our coverage zone - I'd be mildly amused... if I lived in Valdosta, I'd probably be angry. When properly staffed, WTXL can cover Tallahassee. If they feel compelled to crow - that's what they should brag on.

They truthfully need to generate revenues before the staffing will change appreciably. Once that happens, then maybe they'll eventually be able to actually race for viewers in South Georgia. I did a lot of ATBs up there and love it... but don't try to tell someone you're something you're not... especially not in South Georgia. They'll call you on it.

see ya,

PrintGuy

Hi TallyViewers,

That "lack of bio" thing on 27's website has bothered me too, looking at it from afar. I've not seen Todd Morrill and/or Rebecca Baer really mentioned lately - however when going to Channel-27's website - I have a hard time finding the staff listing anyway.

I believe a newsroom's staff is its public face - and is therefore any station's identity in the community. To downplay staff is a big mistake from a branding/marketing perspective. I appreciate the vote of confidence on my reemergence in Tallahassee. I think commitments to change would have to be rock solid, and being older and wiser, I suspect they'd also have to be in writing. And that's at any station. I think Tallahassee is the finest city of its size in the Southeast, and perhaps even the country. I really do love it. I see WTXL's website - and in the banner they mention Valdosta. When was a Channel 27 reporter last in Valdosta? Honestly. It's as if writing it on a website - makes it so.

When people see that, it destroys credibility. I don't know what to say. If I lived in Tallahssee and read the website claiming Valdosta as part of our coverage zone - I'd be mildly amused... if I lived in Valdosta, I'd probably be angry. When properly staffed, WTXL can cover Tallahassee. If they feel compelled to crow - that's what they should brag on.

They truthfully need to generate revenues before the staffing will change appreciably. Once that happens, then maybe they'll eventually be able to actually race for viewers in South Georgia. I did a lot of ATBs up there and love it... but don't try to tell someone you're something you're not... especially not in South Georgia. They'll call you on it.

see ya,

PrintGuy

I guess Todd's contract wasn't renewed and they let him go. As far as finding the section that takes you to the bio page for 27, you have to scroll almost halfway down the page and its in the middle column "Meet Your News Team" just to the left of the stock listings. I did see a story that Rebecca did the other day. I forget what it was called. Cas is listed but, no picture. Same goes for Jason Adams.

I predict the following:

Jason Adams will leave in May after he graduates unless he decides to pursue a higher degree in school.

Dave Priem will more than likely leave once he's done with school.

Rex will probably leave once his contract is up. I know that he's not happy being demoted to the mornings.

Remember, those are my predictions. I could be wrong on that. We'll have to see what happens.

Who is he replacing and when? By the way, was it true that wtxl was going to do a weekend morning show?

You know, Im not exactly sure. I know he was in the Valdosta bureau with WCTV so I would ASSume he's staying with WCTV. I heard this from someone else and I had to look him up, but I dont know for sure where he's going.

I must say, this three-year-old thread is a very interesting read! Nice to read the thoughts and opinions of the viewers and fellow past and present workers in the TLH market. And since my counterpart is an active participant (*tip of the hat to McCall*), I might as well jump in on occasion.

Houston was great, but Florida is home, and I'm pleased to have the chance to return to my first station in a whole new role (though I'm pretty certain I won't pull another Halloween prank like the one previously described on this board!).

If I thought 27 was a station set up for failure, I would not have left a major market in Texas to return here. Times are tough all across the industry, and no station is immune to the problems.

27 is the underdog and has plenty to prove. There are many improvements to the product and the philosophy compared to my first tenure, which helped in my decision to come back ... but there's still more to be done. I'm glad to be part of the process and look forward to the challenges associated with the task.

I appreciate the remarks of the viewers on this board, both affirmative and negative. I have no regrets about the path I took to get to this point. I have been taught by and learned from the best, been through numerous severe weather events during my five-year career (southeast Texas is no sunny paradise weatherwise ... Ike is a prime example), paid (and continue to pay) my dues in the business, and earned the highest level of AMS broadcast certification. I will continue to work diligently to change the minds of those who cast doubt upon my abilities.

Though I can't address every issue directly on this board for obvious reasons, I welcome your questions and other comments. I invite you to reach me through my work E-mail listed on the station Website.

Have a brilliant day!

I'm thinking it's probably alot. A friend of mine was a photog there (He says he quit, but I actually think he was fired but that's beside the point.) Anyway, I remember him saying that two or three photogs had either quit or been let go, and a couple of days later he was gone as well. As far as producers, I do know that both the 6&11 producer from M-F left in July and the 6&11 producer from the weekend (who I knew from school) left shortly thereafter, which is a real shame because (aside from Abbey Phillips long-winded reports) I think the weekend show was one of the best-produced shows they had. It wasn't as slow and package-packed (with stories about NOTHING) like some of their other shows.

I must say, this three-year-old thread is a very interesting read! Nice to read the thoughts and opinions of the viewers and fellow past and present workers in the TLH market. And since my counterpart is an active participant (*tip of the hat to McCall*), I might as well jump in on occasion.

Houston was great, but Florida is home, and I'm pleased to have the chance to return to my first station in a whole new role (though I'm pretty certain I won't pull another Halloween prank like the one previously described on this board!).

If I thought 27 was a station set up for failure, I would not have left a major market in Texas to return here. Times are tough all across the industry, and no station is immune to the problems.

27 is the underdog and has plenty to prove. There are many improvements to the product and the philosophy compared to my first tenure, which helped in my decision to come back ... but there's still more to be done. I'm glad to be part of the process and look forward to the challenges associated with the task.

I appreciate the remarks of the viewers on this board, both affirmative and negative. I have no regrets about the path I took to get to this point. I have been taught by and learned from the best, been through numerous severe weather events during my five-year career (southeast Texas is no sunny paradise weatherwise ... Ike is a prime example), paid (and continue to pay) my dues in the business, and earned the highest level of AMS broadcast certification. I will continue to work diligently to change the minds of those who cast doubt upon my abilities.

Though I can't address every issue directly on this board for obvious reasons, I welcome your questions and other comments. I invite you to reach me through my work E-mail listed on the station Website.

Have a brilliant day!

Welcome back to Tally Cass! Great to have you post here. Hold WTXL's feet to the fire about the improvements you and all of us viewers want. A better WTXL makes for a better Tally IMHO.

However I am sad to learn you won't be pranking us in the same manner as you did a few Halloween's back. :)

What just blew my mind about Tallahassee news coverage is this - Apparently WFSU's "Capitol Update" program is currently hosted by Gordon Graham (of CNN Headline News and Florida News Channel) and Teresa Marsenburg (former weeknight anchor when NBC 40/WTWC had their news program).

For example: http://www.wfsu.org/rafiles/archives/tfc/cu/cu-1145.ram

I have to say...in my opinion, they come across as more professional/big city than any of the current Tallahassee anchor pairings on WCTV or WTXL (except perhaps Frank Ranicky/Julie Montenaro at 6). So what gives? If they're hanging around to do this show, is the pay really that much WORSE at the networks for this talent to not be snapped up? These are gems right in our hometown, especially Gordon Graham. which begs the question...why didn't Beth Switzer ever get involved with news anchoring? she's good too.

See http://www.wfsu.org/tfc/cu_web-archives2007.html where they have clips of recent/old shows.

Good points bhNC! I agree w/all you say except personally I'd not put Frank R. in the "big city" category. Nothing against Frank or the job he does, but you just can't take Kentucky out of the man. :) Like GG stated, these programs are state-wide and I would ASSume that the work schedule has much less and better hours than being an anchor for a local station? That might be the real appeal for them?

GG I don't know Beth S. personally like you do, but I get the impression she's pretty liberal in her politics? Is that true?

^ Yes she is!

I should clarify...I know her well professionally through time at the Capitol...I dont know her very well personally outside of the Capitol. We always stop and talk when we see each other, etc.

That's great! I have many friends from "both sides of the political aisle" and I admire anyone else that does too. Who wants to preach and hear from the choir all the time?

Mike McCall or cnurse I have a question specific to you guys. I grow a lot of tropicals and citrus here in my downtown/midtown location. The season that most effects them is winter of course. I looked at several different weather sites on the net and seem to be getting conflicting viewpoints as to what the prediction for this winter is like for our area. I know long range forecast are tough and not very reliable, so I won't hold you responsible, but in any case if either of you guys would let me know what you've read or learned about this upcoming winter's prediction for our area, I'd greatly appreciate it. You can also just link me to a site if that helps save time. Also I've not read anywhere if this will be a La Nina, El Nino or neither winter season. Any ideas? Thanks again.

Mike McCall or cnurse I have a question specific to you guys. I grow a lot of tropicals and citrus here in my downtown/midtown location. The season that most effects them is winter of course. I looked at several different weather sites on the net and seem to be getting conflicting viewpoints as to what the prediction for this winter is like for our area. I know long range forecast are tough and not very reliable, so I won't hold you responsible, but in any case if either of you guys would let me know what you've read or learned about this upcoming winter's prediction for our area, I'd greatly appreciate it. You can also just link me to a site if that helps save time. Also I've not read anywhere if this will be a La Nina, El Nino or neither winter season. Any ideas? Thanks again.

First of all - I put VERY LITTLE stock in long range / seasonal forecasts. Unless there is strong evidence of a *strong* El Nino or La Nina, the climatology (norms) usually wins out in the long run just as much as any "high brow" prognostications.

That being said, NOAA's forecasts are as good as anyone else's. Here are a few links that I peruse every now and then:

Climate Prediction Center

From that site:

El Nino / La Nina Status

El Nino Forecast

You can look through all of these, and what will you get? Forecasts of an average winter.

Tallahassee Climate Info:

General Climate Data

From that site - this is the best page (in my opinion):

TLH Climate Extremes

Bet you're sorry you asked now, eh? :)

Mike

--

First of all - I put VERY LITTLE stock in long range / seasonal forecasts. Unless there is strong evidence of a *strong* El Nino or La Nina, the climatology (norms) usually wins out in the long run just as much as any "high brow" prognostications.

That being said, NOAA's forecasts are as good as anyone else's. Here are a few links that I peruse every now and then:

Climate Prediction Center

From that site:

El Nino / La Nina Status

El Nino Forecast

You can look through all of these, and what will you get? Forecasts of an average winter.

Tallahassee Climate Info:

General Climate Data

From that site - this is the best page (in my opinion):

TLH Climate Extremes

Bet you're sorry you asked now, eh? :)

Mike

--

That climate extremes page says that Tally got all the way down to 2

Yeah the 2 degrees below zero is the all time state's lowest temp too. However I've always been suspect of that temp since they probably gaged temps back then by frost on a donkey's tail. Mike, was that record low recorded at the old Dale Mabry (where TCC is now) or downtown?

No way am I sorry I asked you Mike, that's the type of stuff I've been looking for. The only problem for me is that most of the extremes were recorded at the "frost-port." On the coldest radiation cooling nights (no wind) I am anywhere from 8 to 12 degrees warmer. On the cold air advection nights (cold air driven by wind) only about 2 degrees warmer. Most of the record colds and early/late frosts usually are from radiation cooling. I wish they'd put an additional official thermometer at FSU where NOAA is now located to give us a more accurate in-town temp.

Since I've lived at this location, my average freezes/year are only 9 w/generally 1 or 2 or them being hard freezes.

I was a student at FSU for the hard freezes of '85 when we got down to 6. Mike was that period the longest continuous period that Tally was below freezing (well besides the big freeze of 1899?) I think the high that day was only 28, so weren't we below freezing for approx. 36 hours or so?

Thanks for taking the time to compile that information for us Mike. I will use it often!

From that page:

For temperature and precipitation records, there are two sets of data. The first two columns of data represent extremes recorded at the current observing site at the Tallahassee Regional Airport (previously the Tallahassee Municipal Airport). Prior to March 29, 1961, observations were taken at other locations in Tallahassee and records for these locations are listed in the last two columns. Observations were taken at the Dale Mabry Field from this date back to March 1940. Prior to that, observations were taken at various downtown locations beginning in April 1885.

So - unfortunately - that 1899 -2 temp was recorded at a "various downtown location".

I was also at FSU during the 1985 freeze and remember it well - the Ruby Diamond fountain freezing, dorm students being sent to the civic center so they could have heat, etc. I was living in a cruddy little apartment - the Four Seasons - behind the Wendy's on Tennessee Street. It had one of those hotel room-type AC/Heat units which could not keep up at all, and it didn't dry the air out enough. As a result, I had ice about an inch thick on the INSIDE of my living room window. Had to use a blow dryer to melt it and chip it carefully away. Good times!

Not sure if that was an all-time record for cold duration in Tally, but I'll bet it was a "modern record". 1985 sure was a fun year - the big freeze and then Elena and Kate several months later. Sheesh - 23 years ago. I'm old.

Mike

--

I received an email from a coworker today mentioning that he did a wtxl search on facebook last night and found that they have a discussion page on there. Its like on the last page of the search. You have to be a facebook member to see it. He didn't click on it to read anything. They don't even have a logo up for the group page. All that's there is a big "?" Nothing else. Not sure if its something like a discussion board or not. He didn't say.

Did anyone notice the full page ad in the Democrat that 27 took out in regards to the election?

Archived