TallyVision

Florida

From the info I found Gannett originally owned it when the station first started and was sold to Sinclair in the 90's. I believe Sinclair owned it when WTWC started its second attempt at local news.

No, the Gannett family owned WTWC when it started news in 1997, I believe. Spent a lot of money, but made it back quickly. In fact, in the black faster than predicted. The problems arose when no one in the family wanted to be in the tv news business. So they put the station up for sale. Sinclair bought it and in their typical fashion, cancelled the local news for cost-cutting purposes.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, the Gannett family owned WTWC when it started news in 1997, I believe. Spent a lot of money, but made it back quickly. In fact, in the black faster than predicted. The problems arose when no one in the family wanted to be in the tv news business. So they put the station up for sale. Sinclair bought it and in their typical fashion, cancelled the local news for cost-cutting purposes.

The info I read says Sinclair bought the station as well as most the Gannett family's other television properties in 1998 but WTWC started its second foray in local news in 1997. Either way, the news department lasted only a few years before budgets cuts and low ratings killed it.

Thanks for the info guys. I ASSume you mean Gannett as in USA Today and Tally Democrat when you speak of the Gannett Family? I wish they still owned it, then we could have a partnership between our newspaper and a TV station. In most cities it works like that. However here, they both like to pretend the other doesn't exist and we the consumer lose out.

Isn't Sinclair the "death-nail" of TV stations?

Thanks for the info guys. I ASSume you mean Gannett as in USA Today and Tally Democrat when you speak of the Gannett Family? I wish they still owned it, then we could have a partnership between our newspaper and a TV station. In most cities it works like that. However here, they both like to pretend the other doesn't exist and we the consumer lose out.

Isn't Sinclair the "death-nail" of TV stations?

No, not the same Gannett. Had it been, the Tally market would be very different I would think. News debuted in March of 1997 and Sinclair bought the station 1998. November 2000, Sinclair cancelled the news.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand WTXL has a new News Director. I believe his name is Bill Cummings, and I understand he has a pretty good track record resurrecting medium market stations.

Has anyone else heard anything about him?

How long do you think WTXL will continue with only one anchor at 6/11?

Pistol Pete

• 2 weeks later...

I understand WTXL has a new News Director. I believe his name is Bill Cummings, and I understand he has a pretty good track record resurrecting medium market stations.

Has anyone else heard anything about him?

How long do you think WTXL will continue with only one anchor at 6/11?

Pistol Pete

How long will they go with just 3 reporters and having other people fill in? Oh, and I believe I found ABC Man on facebook.

• 4 weeks later...

Where IS everyone? This forum is deader than a doornail.

I've been thinking the same thing. Any word on WTXL's latest leader? Setting the world on fire - or about to be fired?

I'd like to know - as a guy who enjoys keeping his finger on the pulse. What's the latest on the Post-Ranicky WCTV?

Perhaps everyone has stopped watching television... and taken up reading. :-)

I've been thinking the same thing. Any word on WTXL's latest leader? Setting the world on fire - or about to be fired?

I'd like to know - as a guy who enjoys keeping his finger on the pulse. What's the latest on the Post-Ranicky WCTV?

Perhaps everyone has stopped watching television... and taken up reading. :-)

WTXL Seems to be the same but they look like they are improving on air little by little, they have actully been talking about other local news outside of tallahassee more. From my understanding, they and their parent company are strapped for cash, but in this economy I am surely thinking every station is strapped for cash.

• 1 month later...

Were I a news director in Tallahassee now, I would interpret this profound silence - as a huge indorsement of my leadership style and fantastic judgement of the community. I would embrace the lack of comments here - as a resounding affirmative vote in favor of what my news team was or wasn't doing. I would be on Cloud-9. News perfection has finally been attained in the State's Capital. Hallelujah!

Were I a news director in Tallahassee now, I would interpret this profound silence - as a huge indorsement of my leadership style and fantastic judgement of the community. I would embrace the lack of comments here - as a resounding affirmative vote in favor of what my news team was or wasn't doing. I would be on Cloud-9. News perfection has finally been attained in the State's Capital. Hallelujah!

I only think WCTV is so near news perfection in reporting and WTXL is working hard and succeeding at cathcing up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

News coverage is very poor in this area.

Channel 40 really needs to have some news, weather, and sports presence. The weatherman from Baltimore just doesn't get the job done. ;-)

In many ways, WALB in Albany is far superior to either Channel 6 or 27. I am able to pick them up about a third of the time. I find myself watching them even though I live in Tallahassee. They are just better in the quality of their anchors, reporters, and set.

The internet news reporters on WCTV are not very impressive. Liza Park on the weekends is their best anchor IMHO. The sports reporters are not memorable at all.

The Tallahassee Democrat has made significant cuts in size and personnel in the past 6 months. There just isn't much there. I glad for online sources outside of Tallahassee. However, I regret that the Atlanta paper no longer delivers to North Florida or South Georgia. Investors Business Daily pulled out od delivery to Tallahassee several years ago. I don't seem to recall seeing the other Florida papers of late. This is a sad, sad situation

In many ways, WALB in Albany is far superior to either Channel 6 or 27. I am able to pick them up about a third of the time. I find myself watching them even though I live in Tallahassee. They are just better in the quality of their anchors, reporters, and set.

It really is quite pitiful. WJHG 7 in Panama City is world's better than 6 or 27 here as well. and in larger markets? Here in Raleigh/Durham, the bottom-of-the-barrel-in-ratings WNCN NBC 17, which literally gets a 1.0 share of news viewership, is so much more crisp, professional, and heavy-hitting than Tallahassee stations. btw, Sharon Tazewell (former WCTV lead anchor) is their weekday morning news anchor. She was fine in Tally, but her delivery has improved 10-fold since moving up to Raleigh.

• 2 weeks later...

I see now channel 40 has a fishing show they produce here now. Its called "Around the Bend Outdoors Show." Robert Burns should sue them for the "Around the Bend" name being taken. I say Rob should copyright it. What does everyone think?

Random question, but can anyone from WCTV tell me the name of the person who does the voiceover work for the station promos., news intros., etc.? The same guy has been doing the voicework for at least 20 years, I think. Incidentally, in my youth I split my time between Tally. and Charleston, and the CBS affiliate up there, WCSC, has also used the same guy for the entire time.

Here are two samples of exactly the voice I'm referring to:

WCTV - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_85sQrGxLc

WCSC - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGrb4aTBmC4

Archived