TallyVision

Florida

Yeah - "Go Gators" passed along classified information to the whole board.

Sigh. :D

Just kiddin' with ya. You can pass along the other info I gave you too if you like.

Mike

--

TJ

I dont think I was responsibe for inspiring him to come on the site, he seems to have known about it, as you can see below. Also, what do you mean two favorite personalities? Is his wife an anchor?

Well, I guess Ill post the other email too...

Hmmmm......so you go to FSU but call yourself "Go Gators",

eh? :) :)

No biggie as far as I am concerned. I have an intern

*just* like that. I'm just giving you a hard time.

So yes, I'm an occasional lurker on Urban Planet's board.

I'm just glad to see that some folks have such a passion

for the product we put out. I'll try not to disappoint any

of you! :)

The big move is still on for this weekend.

There is still a lot of construction going on in other

parts of the building, but the newsroom & studios look

great. There's also something new being constructed for us

weather guys. More on that in the coming weeks.

When the whole place is finished up, I'd be happy to give

you (and other "Urban Planeteers") a tour.

Thanks!

Mike

Mike McCall

WCTV Chief Meteorologist

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's awesome news! I must have missed the part about the lurking. I think its awesome he found us. I wonder what he thinks of all of Poonther's references to Nancy Dingdong at the rival channel. As far as I know his wife isn't on t.v. but they were two of my favorite customers (that's how I'll correct my statement) at the Bradfordville Publix. Wow, thinking of it, all of the news people seemed to shop out there. Gordon Graham (From the Florida News Channel) had two children who both worked with me at that location, so he was a regular as well.

I'm very excited about the tour also, Poonther, I'm with you buddy. We can plan our next UrbanPlanet meetup for this studio tour. Hopefully I won't be the only one who shows up to this one.

Is his wife an anchor?

No, but she is a celebrity in my eyes since she deals with our three sons every night while I'm at work!

---------------------------------------------

Re: References to Nancy:

I guess I haven't seen too many of those. But, I will say that, for the most part, the employees from WTXL and WCTV get along quite well, and many socialize on a regular basis. Nancy and I aren't best buds, but we did work together for a few years, and the times that we do meet now are always cordial. Lenita Williams is a WCTV alum that I worked with. Robert Burns and I worked together here at WCTV for a few years too. (In fact, his desk was the closest one to me in the newsroom.) We had many, many conversations about all kinds of topics, and I still consider him a friend.

--------------------------------------------

Re: Tours:

I'd be happy to set something up in a month or two when everything is put together and nice and tidy at the new building.

As for tonight? Here I sit once again, waiting for March Madness to end, so we can do one more broadcast from the old place. Last night we went on at about 12:40am. Looks like it could be near that again tonight.

With all that's happening this weekend, it'll probably be Monday or Tuesday before I can check back in to the forums, so until then - wish us luck!

Mike

--

Good luck tonight!! I'm sitting here watching the rest of the game, doing as I often do... hoping the Gators loose. :lol:

Hey now, dont dirt on my Gators...by the way nice NIT showing! :thumbsup: Dang, now Im doing it. Look what you started TJ. ;)

ON a serious note about that, why is it that the FSU fans raised so much crap about the Noles being nixed from the NCAA tourney, but then wont show up to support the team for the tournament that they did make? That seems stupid, selfish, and childish to me. (And I would mean that for any team, just mentioning FSU b/c it happened recently). As a Gator, I really enjoyed FSU basketball, and wish they would have made the big dance, but I still was at both NIT games, hoping they would do well, and especially beat USC since they handled my Gators this year!

You make a very valid point. I think the team could have used the support of Tallahassee. But that's one slide about us right now, we aren't the most supportive community when it comes to these types of things. I'm still holding a grudge against local sports fans for the departure of our Tallahassee Thunder, two time division champs, who couldn't get half of the civic center filled if they wanted. It really killed me. For Tallahassee to show up in good numbers, you've got to be 21-0 with a promise to win it all. This community only rallied behind winners, and when our teams don't do so well, we turn our backs... its so sad.

I watched it at about 11:30 pm last night. Boy it looks like they are working hard about in their. They have these big plasma screens that's about 40- 50 inches. I don't think they finished the backwall because all I saw was Rob or Mike (get them 2 confused)and some t.v.s It just looked different and neat. There were some difficulties here and there but that's expected I guess after moving into a new studio. But in total the news delivery is still the same. Very good WCTV.

I tried to watch the late night news on WCTV tonight, but got color bars for the first 26 minutes. Guess the kinks are still being worked out. I was watching on the HD channel on Comcast.

Hmmm...I was able to see WCTV's video just fine last night although their audio was horrible. However, it was their very first newcast from the new studios & they're still in the process of moving & getting everything set up properly so I'll give them the benefit of doubt. I also caught their Noon broadcast today & they had a lot of problems with video & still had really horrible audio & at one point went to a very long loop of repeating commercials & PSA's. I absolutely LOVE the new, modern look of their studios. I'm confident that everything will get progressively better as they work all the kinks out. Great job WCTV....can't wait for our tour! :)

Well the 1st time I saw them I thought they needed to put a board up, but then when I saw the 6:00 news and how they showed the whole studio I didn't think it was neccesary to have a backdrop. As far as them putting up walls behind the anchors I don't know.

Well the 1st time I saw them I thought they needed to put a board up, but then when I saw the 6:00 news and how they showed the whole studio I didn't think it was neccesary to have a backdrop. As far as them putting up walls behind the anchors I don't know.

Yea, I think it would look better if they didnt have such close ups, and had more of a wide zoom of the whole set.

I'll have to say that WCTV has gotten progressively better as this first week at their new studios has gone by. And WTXL seems to be doing a much better job as well even though they're in temporary studios at the WFSU broadcast center. Back to WCTV...I really like the new, modern look of their news set & haven't found the new format distracting. Now if there were 10 people all running around like crazy in the background then yeah, that would be ridiculous but so far, at least when I've been watching, it has seemed minimal as far as distractions go. Question....Are they wearing more makeup now or is it just the improved digital video that makes them look like they're wearing makeup? The anchors seem to be dressing a little nicer as well. Anyone else notice this difference? Overall...great job at both WCTV & WTXL...Tallahassee has deserved better newscasts for a long time & it looks like we're finally getting them. :thumbsup:

I thought the audio on Monday and Tuesday at the new WCTV was better than the "basement sound" that came from the old studio. The sound was low those two days, but the quality was better. However I noticed on Wednesday that the audio has gotten worse IMO and sounds scratchy and too loud. It sounds like now they are using the old audio again. Is that true? If you switch from WCTV news over to WTXL you'll notice a difference in sound quality in favor of WTXL. I hope WCTV can work this audio trouble out.

The anchor Frank R. definitely needs to lower his mic. Julie M.'s sound is better than his. I can hear the scratchy sound when Mike Mc. and Studly the Sports Boy Anchor speak too.

^ One of the eleven pm news anchors from WCTV has always done the local Fox news. They even use the WCTV studios. I've seen this "sharing" done in a few other markets too. Before Harrington, it was Sharon Tazwell. Now before her they used Gary Bartlett from WCTV. For awhile Gary did both WCTV and Fox, then he went into the Real Estate biz (I think) and only did Fox news for sometime. Now he's out of TV and just pimpin' himself as a Realtor.

Well said Poonther. That's also how I recall things happening.

Remember the time when WTXL was doing the same thing with WB6 news at 10. The only problem with their newscast is they marketed it as a not-as-comprehensive-as-11 o'clock-newscast and people didn't take it seriously.

If it could have succeeded we would have 4 local news channels around.

I'm really hoping NBC could come back. Tallahassee was well served when there were 3 options for news.

A quick hello. Thanks for being patient. We're still working out bugs here, but fewer every day! We're gettin' there. It's exciting to watch it all come together.

Now - for my main message:

Just wanted to tell everyone - If you get a chance to drive by the new station late today or Thursday (or anyday after that) - have a look "up" and see something new.

More info to come!

Mike

--

Archived