What SC cities are competing with Columbia

803metlife

Columbia does have a nice set up with interstates. Unfortunately Greenville's traffic must use more normal roads and do a lot of sitting at red lights. ie: Going North or West from the city... Doesn't Greenville have one of the shortest commute times in the state? Kinda interesting. Maybe that's just the city, I dont know.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree, when skin color becomes the focus of difference, Krazeeboi. I think when you keep separating people in surveys simply by skin color, you contribute to the overall problem. Why not refoer to everyone as people, not white, black, or otherwise? I get very tired of these stats, because they are always tied to controversy when progression toward unity could rather be made. There is also too much "black pride" and "white pride" going on, when we could simply be celebrating "South Carolina pride." :)

Oh, if it were only that simple.

What you have described is ideal, but we must bridge the ideal with the actual in order to see REAL change in this state and this nation. Just because some manipulate such figures for sinister purposes (and trust me, this applies the LEAST to politicians) doesn't negate the fact that they give us important information. I see it mainly as a way of dealing with problems and trying to find a way to solve them. If the Census Bureau or any other agency simply stopped reported race-based statistics, this hardly means that all of a sudden all race-related problems would disappear and I doubt they would even become alleviated.

But that's my spill on the situation.

Speaking of mass transit, it would seem that the Upstate would (should) be first to implement this in the state, particularly since I-85 predominantly serves the region. But then again, when you look at the population boom in the Lowcountry and the clogging of I-26, Charleston would be a great candidate as well. ALL of our major metros need to be in the initial planning stages of mass transit, such as light rail, if you ask me.

Speaking of mass transit, it would seem that the Upstate would (should) be first to implement this in the state, particularly since I-85 predominantly serves the region. But then again, when you look at the population boom in the Lowcountry and the clogging of I-26, Charleston would be a great candidate as well. ALL of our major metros need to be in the initial planning stages of mass transit, such as light rail, if you ask me.

I think that it will happen in each of the big three's respective regions within years of each other. I don't know about the actually planning- I know that plans are in place- but I think that Greenville is about to make a big advancement with the possible expansion of its bus service to the suburbs of the Golden Strip. This could really help or possibly hurt depending on ridership.

I know for a fact that both Greenville and Charleston have plans for Light Rail Transit.

It appears to me, however, that Charleston has more interest in the private sector, which indicates that it coudl happen there first. Charleston has the density and tourism to make great use of such facilities. I could see Meeting St making use of it, though it would have to be converted to a one-way street.

I am not certain how well the buses would be recieved in the Golden Strip area. Certainly Mauldin could use some service. Perhaps with ICAR and Verdae there will be more demand for such service?

I think that IF they are smart and make the bus service extension with a "park and ride" service that it could be quite popular. I think that if even only a few people utilize the service at first, that other people will see other people are doing it... haha, i mean people who have cars, but are chosing to ride the bus- people might see it as other people like theirselves are doing it... One necessary thing would be a minimal amount of stops on the way so that it is fast and worth the alternate mode of transportation. BUT we'll just have to wait and see won't we? You never can tell how people will respond to something new.

VERY funny, waccamatt! :rofl:

Actually, most people know 'Platinum Plus' is the main strip club here. The Golden Strip (Greenville County suburbs) has been around for as long as I can remember.

Actually, I didn't know that. I don't think there's anything at Platinum Plus that would hold my attention. :rofl:

"I think that's the adult nightclub in Greenville"

That was a good one waccamatt, you get points for that. :lol:

Speaking of "The Golden STRIP"... does anyone know where it got its name? My guess just off the top of my head would be location and its appeal that's golden? haha

Back to cities competing with Columbia. :shades:

I think Columbia made major moves to make itself more competitive in SC and the South in general (for events more appropriate for small cities) by the opening of the Colonial Center, which took the title from the Bi-Lo Center in Greenville for largest arena in the state, and the Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center. The opening of the convention center hotel soon (we hope) will help to solidify the center's position as a contender for small to medium sized conventions in the nation.

The biggest "threat" at this point is that the city will soon lose its bragging rights as the largest city in SC to Charleston. It's practically inevitable at this point.

I think Columbia made major moves to make itself more competitive in SC and the South in general (for events more appropriate for small cities) by the opening of the Colonial Center, which took the title from the Bi-Lo Center in Greenville for largest arena in the state, and the Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center. The opening of the convention center hotel soon (we hope) will help to solidify the center's position as a contender for small to medium sized conventions in the nation.

The biggest "threat" at this point is that the city will soon lose its bragging rights as the largest city in SC to Charleston. It's practically inevitable at this point.

Columbia is doing a lot of annexing and in-fill development, so I'm not so sure it won't maintain its largest city status. The city promoted a city employee to Annexation Chief.

Good point, like a said in a earlier thread. Biggest threat that Columbia has is Charleston. Columbia's pop stays in charleston reach. I really havent been keeping up with the growth of Charleston. But it is located on the coast and the coast has the fastest growing counties besides the Midlands. The census will be real close. I know the inter city of columbia is booming right now. But I think Charleston get more of retired population, and columbia gets more of a younger pop from college and FT.Jackson.Alot of people from smaller towns move to columbia. So watch out for the next census, it's going to be a close call.

Columbia is doing a lot of annexing and in-fill development, so I'm not so sure it won't maintain its largest city status. The city promoted a city employee to Annexation Chief.

So the city actually went through with the whole "annexation chief" position?

Whoever is occupying that position, I suggest he/she get started quick!

So the city actually went through with the whole "annexation chief" position?

Whoever is occupying that position, I suggest he/she get started quick!

I get the monthly mail-out from the zoning department and every month large tracts of land are being annexed for housing.

The census will be real close. I know the inter city of columbia is booming right now. But I think Charleston get more of retired population, and columbia gets more of a younger pop from college and FT.Jackson.Alot of people from smaller towns move to columbia. So watch out for the next census, it's going to be a close call

I really think Charleston is going to suprise at the next census. The area is really exploding. Think of Columbia with Lower Richland, West Cola, St Andrews, North Cola, and Lexington growing at the rate that NE Cola and Irmo is growing. Thats the situation in Charleston. Downtown is red hot, but all of the surrounding areas are booming too. The only real exception is inner N. Charleston...and Noisette and Magnolia are poised to change that.....and contrary to popular belief...most of the people moving to Charleston are NOT retires. There is a real hodgepodge of college grads, entrepreneurs, semi-retirees, retirees, etc.

Archived