Sounds Stadium gets green light

lajohn

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't the originally plan a $230 million project?

Now its down to $40-60.......

The way I read it, its down to $83 to $103 Million, $43 Million of which is the baseball stadium. While this is a significant reduction in scope, this is still a BIG project. This project may spur other development as well. Besides, now it's a done deal! As the old saying goes, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. I can't wait to see a rendering for the project!

The way I read it, its down to $83 to $103 Million, $43 Million of which is the baseball stadium. While this is a significant reduction in scope, this is still a BIG project. This project may spur other development as well. Besides, now it's a done deal! As the old saying goes, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. I can't wait to see a rendering for the project!

Ohhh, ok gotcha! I just read it wrong. thanks for clearing that up!

Any idea what was taken out of the project?

No, but I have an idea that we (the city) decided to wake up to the fact that this piece of land is among the most valuable riverfront properties in the downtown area and to completely fill that land with condos, offices and such would eliminate any possibilty for the max public use of the riverfront land. Remember, a new task force has just been appointed to study the river and its importance to the city...the city of people...not just developers. I think, and this is purely conjecture, that maybe we decided to take a good, hard look at Chattanooga and what they've done so well there with their river. A sidewalk running between a fence and a ball field just wouldn't do in my opinion. There's plenty of space to develop, just don't cut the green too much. I think this is a huge success. The Sounds will get their stadium, some folks will have their condos, and the city will still have it greenways. With the removal of the possible tax consequences that were the sticking points for so long, I'd say we all won. PLAY BALL!

Oh wait, I'm a boot-wearin', tobacco spittin', truck drivin', butt-scratchin' country music listenin' redneck...so, allow me to re-phrase:

"GET 'ER DONE!"

Oh wait, I'm a boot-wearin', tobacco spittin', truck drivin', butt-scratchin' country music listenin' redneck...so, allow me to re-phrase:

"GET 'ER DONE!"

:rofl::rofl:

Seriously, though I really hope Dave's analysis is right. Nashville can do no better than develop it's waterfront ala Chattannoga. You may think there's momentum building in Nashville now towards downtown development, and downtown living now. You build the people a waterfront area with play areas for kids and great sitelines, trees, waterfalls and the like right next to the downtown core, and there will be a stampede of people and development chomping at the bit to move in. Hold on to your hats, and kick up those cowboy boots!!! Yeee Haw!!!

I am disappointed. Nashville has not clearly articulated their goal for downtown living. Will it be 20,000 in 30 years? 50,000? How can a city plan for the needs of those residents if there is no clear number provided? This property would better serve the future downtown community as green space. I can

'dfwtiger'

Welcome aboard!

As a new resident of d'town I fully support the stadium and the associated development. If you want 'green space' have Metro reclaim the recycling site next to the stadium. It has been my experience that Centenial Park, Bicentennial Park and Dragon Park are ALL within walking distance as I take my two sons to one or the other every weekend. In addition there will be a new green public square for the updated courthouse and I am sure several additional spaces as time progresss. But why in the world would you keep a prime space like the old Thermal Plant undeveloped? Sure there maybe 20-50K people in 20 years but there are only 2K now.

I guess all of these new residents downtown will drive to a significant open space...Shelby Park...or Centennial. So much for walkability!

Don' forget the fact that there is a committee working on the riverfront green spaces. Another point is that Shelby Park is not going to be that far of a distance away since it will all be connected by a greenway trail. Granted it is a hike but will be easily accessible by bike and who knows maybe a shuttle system in the future.

I think its too late for a Central Park type park downtown but remember there is a huge area just on the other side of the river that would have the land for a very large park. Lets see what happens when that is developed. I am not saying we don't need a good size park downtown but that will not happen on this site. There is too much money to be made not to mention tax revenue. If there is no tax revenue there will be no money for parks.

'dfwtiger'

Welcome aboard!

As a new resident of d'town I fully support the stadium and the associated development. If you want 'green space' have Metro reclaim the recycling site next to the stadium. It has been my experience that Centenial Park, Bicentennial Park and Dragon Park are ALL within walking distance as I take my two sons to one or the other every weekend. In addition there will be a new green public square for the updated courthouse and I am sure several additional spaces as time progresss. But why in the world would you keep a prime space like the old Thermal Plant undeveloped? Sure there maybe 20-50K people in 20 years but there are only 2K now.

Thanks!

Why should it be developed? Are you willing to pony up the money necessary to provide park space in the future? Perhaps we are just talking about an issue that falls under the category of

Believe me I am as anti-anti-anti (did I say anti-) tax as they come. I want the city to be very careful with tax dollars and existing Metro assets. I also believe that Purcell for all his faults did not hang the taxpayers out to dry with this agreement.

The city is signing a lease for the land with the Sounds, not giving away the land. The stadium is being privately financed with funds provided by banks and TIF credits for redevelopment. This is simply not a giveaway!

I agree that future needs should be taken into consideration, but all in moderation. This site was not even available two years ago who know what property will become available in the next 20-30 years.

The city is investing in greenways and sidewalks every budget cycle and I support this but development is a 'good' thing; especially in long neglected d'town

isn't one of the problems with the recycling site the huge potential environmental liability? If the city were to try to do something with it, wouldn't the city then become responsible for the toxic waste cleanup and any other environmental problems that crop up in the future?

I don't know why the current owners aren't responsible, unless it's some sort of "grandfather" thing or since they're still operating the same business nothing's required -- but I'm pretty sure any new owner would take on the liability..

Other than that, I think that site would've been great for a ball park, too.

Don' forget the fact that there is a committee working on the riverfront green spaces. Another point is that Shelby Park is not going to be that far of a distance away since it will all be connected by a greenway trail. Granted it is a hike but will be easily accessible by bike and who knows maybe a shuttle system in the future.

I think its too late for a Central Park type park downtown but remember there is a huge area just on the other side of the river that would have the land for a very large park. Lets see what happens when that is developed. I am not saying we don't need a good size park downtown but that will not happen on this site. There is too much money to be made not to mention tax revenue. If there is no tax revenue there will be no money for parks.

I totally agree with the need for future park space, especially when there will be an enormous influx of people moving into the area. I hope that the committee working on the riverfront green spaces takes this all into account as they develop their very important plan. Still I support this Sounds project. Holding back some of the acerage could very well allow the ballpark to be integrated into a beautiful waterfront park area for all to enjoy.

Am I missing something? I walk from the core to Bicentennial Park all the time, along the riverside greenway, past the Stockyard and boom, I'm there. Or if I'm feeling ambitious, I climb Capitol Hill and boom, I'm there. As it matures, it's becoming one fine park. I don't think green space is being ignored. As a matter of fact, I think the city is to be commended for "reclaiming" much of what would have been lost had Streuver Bros. $230 million development was on track. It's not. Rolling Mill will include lots of green and I would guess that green in on the minds of everyone as they plan our future. Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I think they hear us talking.

Let me clear up a few issues...and add some new points.

First...however...we should answer the question. What are the needs for downtown residents when the numbers exceed 10,000? Should is exceed 10,000? Can anyone give some insight?

No one is proposing a Central Park. We missed that chance years ago. As a matter of fact, the area where the symphony hall is located...and the future ball filed was originally slated to be a large park. Due to funding problems at the turn of the century...it was never purchased.

Bicentennial Park is a state facility. Only certain activities are allowed. These activities would not include soccer, volleyball, and so on. The park is a memorial to the state

dfwtiger, you mention Pittsburgh as one of the cities moving in the opposite direction, but they have their new stadium on the riverfront too. See link to website:

PNC Park

Also, I think you may be underestimating the amount of greenspace that may come with the Sounds development and other downtown developments. I completely agree for the need for parks in the core. I don't think that places like the area around the Coliseum (and riverfront blights like junkyards) will stay the way they are now forever--and that means that there are possibilities for the future.

Archived