Sounds Stadium gets green light

lajohn

Also, don't get me wrong, Nashville could learn from how well Chattanooga has done things downtown with the riverfront, but I have seen Chattanooga's stadium and having seen Nashville's proposal it seems to me that the location of the Sounds stadium with development around it will be more intimate--and it will be essentially creating a neighborhood, while Chattanooga's stadium is sort of set off on a hill by itself.

I do hope that the city ultimately decides to allow the Sounds stadium to have some views of downtown.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want to see riverside development done RIGHT, just drive up 65 to Louisville and take a look at the new plans for their riverfront. I love the idea of having a ballpark on the river. It draws people downtown and promotes a more vibrant and entertaining downtown, but I would love to see more greenspace incorporated into the plan as well. I can see both sides of the issue.

I disagree with some of your arguments. But since I am only familiar with one of the cities you listed as examples of proper civic planning I will examine Chattanooga. I think most would agree that they have experienced a d'town revitalization over the last 10 years. But that was started by private/public partnerships in the 90's. The two aquariums, the IMAX, the Children

I disagree with some of your arguments. But since I am only familiar with one of the cities you listed as examples of proper civic planning I will examine Chattanooga. I think most would agree that they have experienced a d'town revitalization over the last 10 years. But that was started by private/public partnerships in the 90's. The two aquariums, the IMAX, the Children

I think the Sounds should have considered a location on the East Bank; leaving the 11 acre thermal site open. Just from a logistics standpoint, it would have been nice to see a sharing of the parking at the Coliseum. In addition, it would have given people more of a reason to walk across the multi-million dollar Shelby Street Pedestrian Bridge.

I agree that an east side location for the sounds stadium would make a lot of sense. IMO, the problem with putting the Sounds on the East Bank was money. An empty site was available on the west side, and therefore was much cheaper for a proposal to be developed. Putting the Stadium on the east side would have required the relocation of businesses which would have been tacked on to that project. $55 Million was spent in relocation and developing the site for the Coliseum. Spending anywhere near that kind of money on site develoment for a Sounds (minor league) stadium would have almost assuredly killed the deal.

Funny thing is, now we still have to move those businesses to develop the east side of the waterfront. I guess that cost would be easier sold to the public as a city waterfront development project rather than another stadium.

Archived