Which Arkansas City will get a Large Skyline 1st.

mcheiss

Which Arkansas City Will Get a Large Skyline 1st.  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Within the distant future.

• Conway
    • Jonesboro
    • Fayetteville
    • Rogers
    • Bentonville
    • Hot Springs
    • Fort Smith

It really wouldn't be a problem up here in Benton County, unless it's near say a Big Lake :rofl: .

Yeah although I guess I can sorta see it being a bit odd because there's not anything else really out the except for houses. I'm hoping after this development it might open the doors for some others.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My suspicion is that you'll never see a "skyline" in NWA per se but you'll see a number of office towers similar in scope to the Plaza West building in Little Rock in all 4 main towns. I don't think you'll see much clustering as each town will want its own.

That's probably the most likely outcome. There won't be much incentive to get very high if the buildings are all scattered throughout the area. Now if there was one urban center than you'd be more likely to keep seeing more tall buildings. And as you said there will probably be some competition between cities or at least none of the cities working together in that aspect.

• 1 year later...

You guys have pretty much covered all the valid points, but let me mention Hot Springs. No, I don't think it WILL have the greatest chance in the future, but I would wager that right now, it has the largest skyline outside of LR/NLR. Frankly, you could argue that in many ways, it has one of, if not the most urban cores of any Arkansas city. Take note the next time you are there....solid blocks of urban density, not having received the axe that LR did in the 50's - love the art deco Medical Arts building (16 floors? It was the tallest in Arkansas for quite some time). Great urban streetscape really unlike anywhere in Arkansas - reinforced by lots of pedestrian/people activity. Hot Springs is very urban.

You guys have pretty much covered all the valid points, but let me mention Hot Springs. No, I don't think it WILL have the greatest chance in the future, but I would wager that right now, it has the largest skyline outside of LR/NLR. Frankly, you could argue that in many ways, it has one of, if not the most urban cores of any Arkansas city. Take note the next time you are there....solid blocks of urban density, not having received the axe that LR did in the 50's - love the art deco Medical Arts building (16 floors? It was the tallest in Arkansas for quite some time). Great urban streetscape really unlike anywhere in Arkansas - reinforced by lots of pedestrian/people activity. Hot Springs is very urban.

I agree with that. It would be nice if it could add a mid-rise convention hotel or two downtown into the mix. I don't think the demand's there right now and I think effort is better spent making the Arlington and Majestic successful.

I absolutely love downtown Hot Springs and I agree it is probably the 2nd most urban-feeling city in Arkansas. Fayetteville is urbanizing pretty well but isn't quite caught up yet.

Yeah Hot Springs is nice. I guess I'm wondering if any other city outside central Arkansas will resist the suburban growth issues. I think there's more of a tendency in many of Arkansas' cities to grow outward. Fayetteville is trying to address it but that doesn't mean it will be successful. Seems like most 'taller buildings' today tend to be some sort of mixed-use condo buildings. But that market seems to be in a slump right now. That and I'm not sure if a more urban style condo development will work in Hot Springs. I think most people will tend to opt for smaller condo developments away from downtown Hot Springs.

• 1 year later...

what a stupid topic. how about none? I just moved to Little Rock from Dallas 2 years ago. Little Rock has a decent skyline for such a small city, but give me a break. No other city in Arkansas will have a skyline even close to Little Rock's within the next 50-100 years. I think it's funny that this is a real topic on here.

what a stupid topic. how about none? I just moved to Little Rock from Dallas 2 years ago. Little Rock has a decent skyline for such a small city, but give me a break. No other city in Arkansas will have a skyline even close to Little Rock's within the next 50-100 years. I think it's funny that this is a real topic on here.

• 9 months later...

• 9 months later...

Whoa, WTF??? I hope living in Arkansas for a year or so has allowed you to go through some "de-Tex" and I hope your manners have improved. Oh, and this is coming from someone living in Houston.

I agree with some of the above posts... Hot Springs has all of the "right ingredients". The problem is that their growth pattern have been explosively sprawlrific over the past few years. Several of those precious buildings in downtown are just sitting around vacant. Until the city seems some revitalization, I worry that the growth is just going to follow the freeways instead of concentrating in the city's precious dense urban neighborhoods.

But beyond that, I still voted for Hot Springs. The city has a very good bus system, which allows for much more mobility than some of the other cities. IMO, it's much more extensive than ORT which serves over half of the list here!!

Archived