Would you support an Arkansas Lottery?

mcheiss

Would you support a state lottery?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you, or do you not want a state lottery

• Yes
    • No

Would you ever support a state lottery in the future?

There has been a lot of talk about one, yet it seems to be turned away by most politicians.

I would like to see a state lottery, it's just that it could have some negative effects, like lower standard of living and such. My vote is no, because it would seem to have just some negative effects on certain communities in our state that are already struggling as it is.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess part of my answer lies in whether Arkansas allows any type of gambling in the near future. If Arkansas did I wouldn't feel quite as compelled to have a lottery. Although I personally don't care to play the lottery I do hate seeing people spend money on lotteries on Arkansas' borders. I guess I'd just like to see Arkansas allow some gambling at first and see how it works out. I don't necessarily feel we have to allow all types of gambling at once. But for now I'd lean more for it than against it.

I know a lottery would do well, but think of some of the communities out there in Arkansas that are struggling already, what would it do to some of those places?

It would provide an excellent source of income for Education in Arkansas.

Would it be possible at all to have a lottery limited to certain counties?

I know a lottery would do well, but think of some of the communities out there in Arkansas that are struggling already, what would it do to some of those places?

It would provide an excellent source of income for Education in Arkansas.

Would it be possible at all to have a lottery limited to certain counties?

I don't think I've ever heard of a lottery that was only allowed in certain counties in a state. Not saying it's not possible but I haven't heard of it happening before. I do know some people will be against having a lottery but honestly I think the main areas that it will be affecting is the center of the state. I believe almost all of our neighboring states have lotteries and you know people anywhere close to the border are going across state lines to participate. I heard about people driving a couple of hours just to buy lotto tickets from that last big one they just had. It's obviously harder for people in the center of the state to go across state lines, but in a sense the lottery already exists in many of the other areas of the state. The money just goes outside the state.

I don't think I've ever heard of a lottery that was only allowed in certain counties in a state. Not saying it's not possible but I haven't heard of it happening before. I do know some people will be against having a lottery but honestly I think the main areas that it will be affecting is the center of the state. I believe almost all of our neighboring states have lotteries and you know people anywhere close to the border are going across state lines to participate. I heard about people driving a couple of hours just to buy lotto tickets from that last big one they just had. It's obviously harder for people in the center of the state to go across state lines, but in a sense the lottery already exists in many of the other areas of the state. The money just goes outside the state.

I'm just worried about the state of living.

I don't want to drop to #50 on "the lists".

I'm just worried about the state of living.

I don't want to drop to #50 on "the lists".

I know where you're coming from and I know it will probably hurt some people with gambling problems. But from my line of thinking many of these people who live closer to the state's border than central Arkansas are probably already participating in this. They are just going across state lines to do so. Although this wouldn't be a win-win situation. I sure having more accessable gambling will cause problems with people with gambling problems. But how many people are already having problems because they are going across the state line to do so?

I know where you're coming from and I know it will probably hurt some people with gambling problems. But from my line of thinking many of these people who live closer to the state's border than central Arkansas are probably already participating in this. They are just going across state lines to do so. Although this wouldn't be a win-win situation. I sure having more accessable gambling will cause problems with people with gambling problems. But how many people are already having problems because they are going across the state line to do so?

I guess I can see that. I guess the central portion of the state would be more affected. More people would just have easier access to it.

I guess I can see that. I guess the central portion of the state would be more affected. More people would just have easier access to it.

I'm not saying that my arguement makes it right. There will be positives and negatives to this. I guess we just have to decide which we think there will be more of in general. But I do think people outside of central Arkansas already are being affected by it. But having it in Arkansas would make it more convenient for them though. I guess the main factor would be central Arkansas. But I'm not sure how unaffected they are either. I know people in northwest Arkansas who go to Tunica on a somewhat regular basis. I'm sure there are even more people in central Arkansas willing to make a regular trip to Tunica.

I'm not saying that my arguement makes it right. There will be positives and negatives to this. I guess we just have to decide which we think there will be more of in general. But I do think people outside of central Arkansas already are being affected by it. But having it in Arkansas would make it more convenient for them though. I guess the main factor would be central Arkansas. But I'm not sure how unaffected they are either. I know people in northwest Arkansas who go to Tunica on a somewhat regular basis. I'm sure there are even more people in central Arkansas willing to make a regular trip to Tunica.

True, I just hate seeing a family by the weeks paycheck on lottery tickets and then loosing.

But I do see a lot of people that simply drive over to Oklahoma, Missouri and Mississippi to buy Lottery tickets.

What is it with the Arkansas board and hot-topic issues? <_<

If everyone's worried about the state's financial situation, maybe they should read the news. That would ease any fears of the state falling behind. Arkansas is projected to have a $325 million surplus going into the 2007 legislative session, based on current estimates and trends. :thumbsup: This is not the trend in most states... even those with lotteries.

Lotteries are a "poor man's tax". Basically, the state is running a scam (almost), building up hopes in people who are desperate and already in financial trouble. You know "You Can't Win If You Don't Play," and "Think of the Possiblities." Hype! If legislators think we're that desperate for money, grow some balls and raise taxes... but don't try and insult our intelligence by passing it off as a service to the public!

In my personal opinion, we would be best to lower taxes and let the citizens and business owners of the state have control of their own money. This is a PROVEN way to produce more revenue for the state. Trust me, Arkansans will spend more if they can keep more! :yahoo:

Oh, and I'm not mad or fuming about this one either. I just get frustrated that so many seem so ill-informed. :blink:

What is it with the Arkansas board and hot-topic issues? <_<

If everyone's worried about the state's financial situation, maybe they should read the news. That would ease any fears of the state falling behind. Arkansas is projected to have a $325 million surplus going into the 2007 legislative session, based on current estimates and trends. :thumbsup: This is not the trend in most states... even those with lotteries.

Lotteries are a "poor man's tax". Basically, the state is running a scam (almost), building up hopes in people who are desperate and already in financial trouble. You know "You Can't Win If You Don't Play," and "Think of the Possiblities." Hype! If legislators think we're that desperate for money, grow some balls and raise taxes... but don't try and insult our intelligence by passing it off as a service to the public!

In my personal opinion, we would be best to lower taxes and let the citizens and business owners of the state have control of their own money. This is a PROVEN way to produce more revenue for the state. Trust me, Arkansans will spend more if they can keep more! :yahoo:

Oh, and I'm not mad or fuming about this one either. I just get frustrated that so many seem so ill-informed. :blink:

I do see your point and I have heard about the surplus. Although I think the state should really be spending more money on education and road improvements. Lotteries do drain more money from the poor, you are correct on that. I personally don't care to participate in a lottery. I guess what just bothers me is that many people in Arkansas are already participating across state lines. It may not affect people as much in central Arkansas. But I know many people near the states borders play the lotteries quite regularly. I just don't like the idea of so much money being spent in other states. I'd just prefer that if these people are going to play lotteries and such that they at least do it in the state so our state can reap some of the benefits.

I do see your point and I have heard about the surplus. Although I think the state should really be spending more money on education and road improvements. Lotteries do drain more money from the poor, you are correct on that. I personally don't care to participate in a lottery. I guess what just bothers me is that many people in Arkansas are already participating across state lines. It may not affect people as much in central Arkansas. But I know many people near the states borders play the lotteries quite regularly. I just don't like the idea of so much money being spent in other states. I'd just prefer that if these people are going to play lotteries and such that they at least do it in the state so our state can reap some of the benefits.

My point is that it is an unethical way to raise funds for the state. The state should make its money through fair taxes... period. As I stated on the "alcohol" thread, this will be my last post on socially and emotionally charged topics.

Archived