Greenville Transit | GTA

gs3

Just read this article in the Greenville News concerning transit for Mauldin and Simpsonville. Nice to see transit being considered for the burbs. Definitely a step in the right direction. From the article, I can't tell, will this be part of GTA, or will it be a separate bus system for commuters to get into Greenville? Gwinnett County in Georgia has their own system separate from Marta to get people from Gwinnett into downtown Atlanta....is this proposal similar? Anybody have more info?

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....EWS01/510250320

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just read this article in the Greenville News concerning transit for Mauldin and Simpsonville. Nice to see transit being considered for the burbs. Definitely a step in the right direction. From the article, I can't tell, will this be part of GTA, or will it be a separate bus system for commuters to get into Greenville? Gwinnett County in Georgia has their own system separate from Marta to get people from Gwinnett into downtown Atlanta....is this proposal similar? Anybody have more info?

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....EWS01/510250320

That's great news. I hope it gets widely used!

That's great news. I hope it gets widely used!

Great news? Hardly.

People who live in Mauldin & Simpsonville, for the most part, have no need for public transit. The demographics aren't there to support it. And yes, you can interpret that as "the poor"..those who tend to take public transit in the first place, outside of NYC & Chicago.

I smell a money grab here...a transit tax foisted upon property owners, combined with some Federal funding, to run empty busses around town.

Great news? Hardly.

People who live in Mauldin & Simpsonville, for the most part, have no need for public transit. The demographics aren't there to support it. And yes, you can interpret that as "the poor"..those who tend to take public transit in the first place, outside of NYC & Chicago.

I smell a money grab here...a transit tax foisted upon property owners, combined with some Federal funding, to run empty busses around town.

But to your point above, along with all the money that exist in the Golden Strip comes three or four cars per household. These are the cars clogging the freeways. These are the people who should be convinced to take transit. If I lived in the Golden Strip and had the chance to a ride a bus daily to downtown and let someone else do the driving, you bet I'd do it! 30 minutes to read the newspaper, check the Blackberry, snooze, etc. The U.S. has to get over the idea that transit is for the poor. I view mass transit as more of a way to get cars off the road and reduce pollution.

Great news? Hardly.

For your info I am not poor, live in Simpsonville and would love to take transit into Greenville to save money. You haven't done your research.

For your info I am not poor, live in Simpsonville and would love to take transit into Greenville to save money. You haven't done your research.

Is anyone in Simpsonville or Mauldin actually poor?

http://www.greenvilleplanning.com/comprehe...nville%20PA.pdf

http://www.greenvilleplanning.com/comprehe...auldin%20PA.pdf

There's a reason all that retail is popping up on Woodruff Road and Fairview Road and (believe it or not), it's not because of the East Siders.

Edit: I personally feel that mass transit offerings to both cities is a good thing. If ever Light Rail Transit does appear in Greenville County, it will very likely connect Greenville to Simpsonville and Mauldin before it would Greer/Taylors and Travelers Rest.

Guess I should rephrase.

I'm sure some of you may use this service. I firmly feel, however, that you'd be in the minority. Despite high gas prices, people love their cars. They want to be able to go where they want, whenever they want.

Public transit, as a concept, is a good thing. No denying that. It works well in crowded urban areas where traffic concerns, high parking prices, and distance to employers are a concern. These 3 situations don't apply up here, because we don't face these problems. And yes, we love our cars.

I still see this as an opportunity to pad the coffers of the Golden Strip, nothing more.

Guess I should rephrase.

I'm sure some of you may use this service. I firmly feel, however, that you'd be in the minority. Despite high gas prices, people love their cars. They want to be able to go where they want, whenever they want.

Public transit, as a concept, is a good thing. No denying that. It works well in crowded urban areas where traffic concerns, high parking prices, and distance to employers are a concern. These 3 situations don't apply up here, because we don't face these problems. And yes, we love our cars.

I still see this as an opportunity to pad the coffers of the Golden Strip, nothing more.

I know for a fact that people will not use this to go to Walmart or go on a shopping spree- there's cars for that. But we want people to use these to get to work, to commute. Where else are they going to be going as they drive to work?

I know for a fact that people will not use this to go to Walmart or go on a shopping spree- there's cars for that. But we want people to use these to get to work, to commute. Where else are they going to be going as they drive to work?

Charlotte has express bus service from suburbia to downtown. The routes are well used by plenty of non-poor suburbanites. Transit authorities aren't trying to block people from using their cars, and transit authorities don't expect 100% or even 50% of drivers to use bus services. The purpose of public transportation is to increase mobility for people, and if bus routes with capacity to transport even 5%-10% of drivers are offered and are used, then the routes are successful in accomplishing the goals set for them.

I am all for public transportation, but I certainly think that it is difficult to promote in areas like Greenville where people are fond of their cars. For public transportation to be successful in Greenville (in the form of buses and light rail), people will need to be educated on the value of public transportation and the benefit they receive (e.g., environmentally friendly, and more importantly, the TIME they will save). Even then, I think some people will be hard pressed to make the switch (due to familiarity with driving their car and tradition, if nothing else).

For public transportation to work in Greenville (i.e., for middle- and upper-class people with cars to choose to use it) traffic will need to get bad on our roads AND effective education mentioned above will need to occur. Otherwise, we'll keep seeing buses in the city with only a handful of riders.

With that said, I am glad to hear that people in Mauldin and Simpsonville will have the option of using the new bus system to commute to work. I hope it will be a success!

• 3 weeks later...

I just noticed the following photos of the Multi-Modal Transit Building for LYNX in Downtown Orlando in another thread:

51379004_f294a5de87_b.jpg

51378884_92b189b960_b.jpg

It'd be cool if GTA were to build something similar to this (only with Green Neon and with the roofline to mimic the blue ridge instead of just being waves).

LYNX is another one that doesn't have light rail yet, but they're preparing for what I hope is the inevitable.

Charlotte, NC has a central bus transfer point like that. And I think now is the time that I will share my idea for LRT / Metro Center in Greenville. The map that I modded I think will be able to better point out what I'm trying to say, but by building a new Metro Ctr at the Kroc Ctr, which will help spur development in that area of Greenville. Also, having a stop near Broad St will help spread downtown out E-W south of McBee, near the Tower @ Falls & Broad. And we can't miss a stop at Cleveland Park/Zoo. The hard part about this, with most of ROW being torn up, there WILL have to be a tunnel in downtown, its just how long and what stops do we put in the subway? My first idea was for all three, but the only one that has to be in a tunnel is Broad St, and just because of the desity in that area will be hell trying to run LRT through on the surface.

post-742-1132029589_thumb.jpg

post-742-1132029589_thumb.jpg

Archived