Greenville Transit | GTA

gs3

I like your map, jarvisj3. Your idea of having a metro center at the Kroc Center is an interesting one. I agree with the need for a station/stop at the zoo.

I think we will need to have more stops in downtown and the CBD where the action is. Perhaps you envisioned stops in that area being on another line, but I think we need at least one stop along Main Street and another at the Bi-Lo Center. What about the ballpark?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing is, here in Greenville, we're going to have to do this as inexpensively as possible, and as much as I hate saying it, it will take an act of congress to go with the idea I had earlier of a subway line going the same ROW to a tunnel under E North St, to the BiLo Ctr, and then under the CBD at Washington St. One thing that would work in our favor is a downtown circulator line that has something like PDX streetcar going along the West End, meeting the LRT at Metro / Kroc and continuing in a traffic-free Main St, possibly diving into a tunnel @ Main and Beattie Pl/College St and going underground beneath Beattie. to a stop at BiLo Ctr/Gateway. I'll make a map sometime soon.

Seeing how I lived through the Big Dig, give me the resources and money, and consider it done. If the city really wanted, they could easily have that Main St Streetcar running within two years. I like the way Knox White works, its just that everyone with common sense has their hands tied whenever it comes to public works projects in SC. If people really wanted to, they could have LRT on the "Hillcrest Line" within a matter of years also. I don't think that the problem is going to be the NIMBY's here, I think that its going to be the speed and complaining of County Council, SCDOT, Mark Sanford saying we don't need to spend money. If we can convince the voters with the proof that their property within 1/2 mile of the line will skyrocket in value, it might just be a complete sell. Businesses like having alternate modes of transit, and with ICAR bringing people to Greenville, they might all move to Mauldin/Simpsonville, or downtown, or near the line. I know it will work, its just people have to give it a chance.

Seeing how I lived through the Big Dig, give me the resources and money, and consider it done. If the city really wanted, they could easily have that Main St Streetcar running within two years. I like the way Knox White works, its just that everyone with common sense has their hands tied whenever it comes to public works projects in SC. If people really wanted to, they could have LRT on the "Hillcrest Line" within a matter of years also. I don't think that the problem is going to be the NIMBY's here, I think that its going to be the speed and complaining of County Council, SCDOT, Mark Sanford saying we don't need to spend money. If we can convince the voters with the proof that their property within 1/2 mile of the line will skyrocket in value, it might just be a complete sell. Businesses like having alternate modes of transit, and with ICAR bringing people to Greenville, they might all move to Mauldin/Simpsonville, or downtown, or near the line. I know it will work, its just people have to give it a chance.

It would also open up the possibility for more growth in the northern part of the county. It would make places like ICAR more easily accessible for the people in that area. Driving from TR to that area just takes too long now, and it is only going to get worse.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about the trollies. Are all of them white? The two I saw were white with advertisements for the baseball team on them.

The reason why I ask is that I had always pictured the old style trollies, perhaps dark green in color with gold trim. Just wondering if there are any others besides the white ones, and if not, whether anyone has heard about possible upgrades to the design.

I love the fact that we have the trollies, and think it's a wonderful idea that adds to the high quality of life enjoyed in Greenville. :)

Isn't this trolley the one owned by the baseball team? I had heard it would receive their logo, and that's why it was delivered in white. The city has plans to buy additional trolleys and run them, correct? I would think the future trolleys would be painted in keeping with the transit buses. You know how great this city is about consistency of it's logo and the color green! :D

• 5 months later...
You know we're far too dependant on our cars when something like this happens.
And if we weren't already too dependent on cars, these two measures would be the sadistic stuff that crack dealers might think of to ensure the addiction is complete.

I guess that what it is going to boil down to, is that our (as a whole) fundamental lack of understanding that we have to pay taxes in order for our society to function. For those who don’t want to pay for tax increases, under the premise that they can continue getting the same amount of service that is present, I really wish that these types of citizens would wake up and smell the coffee, because in my opinion the federal government is not going to bail us out. It’s also going to be these citizens that will be the first to sue the county or city when because of lack of funding; there aren’t enough Ambulances to come to their immediate need.

If we were to elect council members with a backbone, who are able to look at the big picture and not their Bank of America accounts, and yes, this goes for both municipalities and for your local county government(s). I for one am just waiting for the day that our gluttony and greed as a whole of society will bring the great United States of America to a screeching halt. I’m not using this forum to convey political thought; I’m aiming to convey the message that we have to plan for tomorrow, for next year, and for ten years down the road.

In a nutshell, we have all seen the after effects of what NIMBYism will continue to have, such as the rolling blackouts of California, and this year Texas will be among them. It has become a faux pas to utilize public transportation in areas other than the Northeast, to conserve resources and to promote alternative methods to our everyday lifestyles. I call it survival of those most willing to adapt to change. I’m ready. How about the other 1,200,000 citizens that calls the upstate home?

I'm with you.

Archived