Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zenstyle

Big Eastown meeting

zenstyle    3

The Mr. and I just walked back from Kava House, where Police Chief Harry Dolan presided over a crime prevention meeting tonight. Around 200 Eastown residents were literally spilling out of the smoking area, onto the sidewalks and patio, and into the regular coffee room. The Neighborhood Assciation folks and Chief Dolan repeatedly expressed amazement at the big turnout...well, Eastownites were never known to be apathetic citizens!

Among the speakers were Judge Logan and a police captain who's name I didn't catch, plus a detective, plus four other policemen. Dolan described the rash of robberies that's been happening in various parts of the neighborhood, and he did a nice job of separating facts from free-floating rumors. Crime Prevention maven Barb Lester also spoke, as did other folks who's names I didn't get. Speakers took many questions from residents and gave what I thought were well-considered, non-glib responses.

There was much muttering about the total inadequacy of that space for the meeting, which was duly noted by the organizers.

In addition to the usual common-sense ideas of crime prevention, it was stressed that public visiblity and watchfulness by citizens goes a long way toward crime inhibition. The more citizens out walking in the evenings gives a strong visual message that the neighborhood is OURS. I've always felt that staying in and watching tv under the afgan was exactly the wrong approach to combating neighborhood crime...walk! get out! be seen! take back the streets!

I'm sure there are some typos, but I can't be bothered with "i before e" when I'm typing fast.

torgo    3

The Mr. and I just walked back from Kava House, where Police Chief Harry Dolan presided over a crime prevention meeting tonight. Around 200 Eastown residents were literally spilling out of the smoking area, onto the sidewalks and patio, and into the regular coffee room. The Neighborhood Assciation folks and Chief Dolan repeatedly expressed amazement at the big turnout...well, Eastownites were never known to be apathetic citizens!

Among the speakers were Judge Logan and a police captain who's name I didn't catch, plus a detective, plus four other policemen. Dolan described the rash of robberies that's been happening in various parts of the neighborhood, and he did a nice job of separating facts from free-floating rumors. Crime Prevention maven Barb Lester also spoke, as did other folks who's names I didn't get. Speakers took many questions from residents and gave what I thought were well-considered, non-glib responses.

There was much muttering about the total inadequacy of that space for the meeting, which was duly noted by the organizers.

In addition to the usual common-sense ideas of crime prevention, it was stressed that public visiblity and watchfulness by citizens goes a long way toward crime inhibition. The more citizens out walking in the evenings gives a strong visual message that the neighborhood is OURS. I've always felt that staying in and watching tv under the afgan was exactly the wrong approach to combating neighborhood crime...walk! get out! be seen! take back the streets!

I'm sure there are some typos, but I can't be bothered with "i before e" when I'm typing fast.

Excellent, zenstyle! You're right, people on the streets go a long way to preventing crime. No one is going to break into a house when there are a bunch of people wakling down the street Communication between neighbors also goes a long way, and I can attest first hand to that. :D

Par75    0

We had our Fulton Heights neighborhood (our neighborhoods are neighbors, Zenstyle!) meeting tonight, and both Commissioners Rabault and Tormula stopped in at ours for a quick Q&A before making a quick exit so they could attend the Eastown meeting.

One comment Lynn Rabault made at our meeting tonight was that other cities are envious of Grand Rapids because we have so many strong neighborhood associations. She said most larger cities have a very difficult time getting neighborhoods to organize like we do. When there is a strong association that is able to rally the neighborhood, it makes it much easier to address an issue like the one Eastown is experiencing right now with the robberies.

allbusiness    0

Porch lights on and folks out enjoying the night air is a real deterrent to crime and a great way to meet the neighbors. Not that folks in Easttown need to be told how to do that! It's always been one of the easiest neighborhoods in which to get to know your neighbors in the city.

Does anyone know if there is an organized "Neighborhood Watch" group in the area, with "block captains" and calling trees, etc. That's very helpful when there is an incident, or a lost child, etc. in getting the word out to neighbors.

twoshort    8

My fiance and her roomates got robbed while hanging out on the front porch one evening. The person went in through the back window of the house and no one realized it till they went in to make a phone call and the purses were all gone.

Just relaying a crazy story as it's eastown realated, no real point here. :D