Two West Fulton - RSC/Second Story Prop.

GRDadof3

Thought we could start a thread that might garner some updates on this project. There has been speculation thrown around that Second Story & RSC recently closed on the property. Is this true? Any updates on schedule? I'm looking at a couple of people here specifically, so don't try to hide :thumbsup:

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought we could start a thread that might garner some updates on this project. There has been speculation thrown around that Second Story & RSC recently closed on the property. Is this true? Any updates on schedule? I'm looking at a couple of people here specifically, so don't try to hide :thumbsup:

As of Oct 2nd they were working on the sign for the project and we were promised details and renderings as soon as possible. I've got nothin else besides that and I would hate to be a pest. :D

As of Oct 2nd they were working on the sign for the project and we were promised details and renderings as soon as possible. I've got nothin else besides that and I would hate to be a pest. :D

This is the former parking ramp site, correct? My understanding is that we'd hear some kind of announcement next month.

9 stories, with a connected jazz club and bookstore.

"...The development, to include 30,000-square-feet of retail space and 70,000-square feet of condominiums, also includes a ramp parking in the center of the site.

[cut]

The building's design is contemporary with a modern influence. The portion facing west will include more residential and less retail... "

http://www.mibiz.com/absolutenm/templates/...=6972&zoneid=32

"...The development, to include 30,000-square-feet of retail space and 70,000-square feet of condominiums, also includes a ramp parking in the center of the site.

[cut]

The building's design is contemporary with a modern influence. The portion facing west will include more residential and less retail... "

http://www.mibiz.com/absolutenm/templates/...=6972&zoneid=32

So what about the new bookstore on Fountain? Is another bookstore DT really feasible at this point? Or might they go with something else? Any guesses?? :D Thanks for the link twoshort! ;)

So what about the new bookstore on Fountain? Is another bookstore DT really feasible at this point? Or might they go with something else? Any guesses?? :D

We had a discussion here about that a while ago (before the other bookstore was announced) and speculation about who it might be. There was a quote by Sam Cummings about working with a local bookstore. I'm hoping this will bring out someone who hasn't participated in the discussion yet. I'd like to see that project kick-started soon.

Edit: in re-reading my post, I hope I didn't come off as rude andy :blush:

So what about the new bookstore on Fountain? Is another bookstore DT really feasible at this point? Or might they go with something else? Any guesses?? :D Thanks for the link twoshort! ;)

I would like to see some kind of retail like a market for fresh produce, etc. and bookstore/newstand, a drugstore, atm. All street level and parking above maybe 3 levels and then the apartments with a roof top social area where residents can watch the fireworks and stuff. Sound too dream like? :blush:

I would like to see some kind of retail like a market for fresh produce, etc. and bookstore/newstand, a drugstore, atm. All street level and parking above maybe 3 levels and then the apartments with a roof top social area where residents can watch the fireworks and stuff. Sound too dream like?

Sold! When should we start constrution?? :P Whether or not something like that comes to fruition is a different story. Call me cynical. <_<

And no, grdad, that didn't sound rude to me. ;)

Sold! When should we start constrution?? :P Whether or not something like that comes to fruition is a different story. Call me cynical. <_<

And no, grdad, that didn't sound rude to me. ;)

OK ;) . It would be nice if they added a green roof to that lower section of the building and made a park up there:

3FD3DEB0EA6011D99600DA6618F73B1D.jpg

If this rendering is anything like the final product will be.

OK ;) . It would be nice if they added a green roof to that lower section of the building and made a park up there:

3FD3DEB0EA6011D99600DA6618F73B1D.jpg

If this rendering is anything like the final product will be.

Simply going by this rendering, what (if anything) is going to be happening in the shorter areas in the bottom/left. Theres the curvy-glass situation, which I suppose (and hope) has more retail at the ground floor. Anyone know how tall that part is? Or what will be going on there above the retail? Just curious. ;)

I agree...a green roof would be real nice up there :D

Simply going by this rendering, what (if anything) is going to be happening in the shorter areas in the bottom/left. Theres the curvy-glass situation, which I suppose (and hope) has more retail at the ground floor. Anyone know how tall that part is? Or what will be going on there above the retail? Just curious. ;)

I agree...a green roof would be real nice up there :D

I saved the original GR Press newspaper article about the proposals, so I've got the original info here. :thumbsup: The bottom left part is supposed to be a 2 story jazz club/ upscale billiards hall, and book store. The original proposal called for an 11 story condo tower- has this changed, or are we all just confused?

:)

I saved the original GR Press newspaper article about the proposals, so I've got the original info here. :thumbsup: The bottom left part is supposed to be a 2 story jazz club/ upscale billiards hall, and book store. The original proposal called for an 11 story condo tower- has this changed, or are we all just confused?

:)

You're right Josh, it was 11 stories (although the poor rendering looks shorter than that). There is also going to be an expanded parking structure as part of this plan, due to the city hooking up with the developers to meet their need for more parking South of Fulton.

An excerpt from the article:

"Beyond those short-term solutions, the study also recommends adding 200 public spaces to the retail/condominium project that is being proposed for the southwest corner of Fulton Street and Division Avenue."

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:VLZJp1...heartside&hl=en

i think a jazz club would be great for that area. i have only been to jazz clubs a few times before--both in chi-town. this will be a great addition to the nieghborhood

I'm not sure why, but Grand Rapids simply refuses to support live jazz. And personally, I don't see that trend changing anytime soon. Shall we count the recent failures? The B.O.B. just announced last week that they plan to pull the plug on the Steve Talaga Trio -- one of the best-known local jazz ensembles working today -- who have been playing a regular Wednesday night gig at Crush for a few months now. Have you been out to support them? I know I haven't. Before that, the B.O.B. quietly cut out their WGVU Jazz Nights @ The B.O.B., and the public outcry was less than deafening. Friday Nights @ the GRAM used to feature exclusively jazz artists, and now brings in folk musicians and cabaret performers. Then you've got the often-lamented deaths of the Rhythm Kitchen Cafe and Dr. J's Jazz Coffeehouse, both of which (at least on paper) would be fabulous additions to our dream of a downtown. But why lament? If they would have been able to consistently bring butts through the door, they'd still be open. If all the people lamenting now were in there eating dinner three or four times a month or buying cappucinos regularly, they wouldn't have anything to lament.

Downtown continues to evolve, but an evolution that can support a live jazz club is still years, maybe a decade or more, away.

My prediction: The RSC project's jazz club, which we'd all love to see succeed, will either get watered down to the point where most nights of the week you'll be more likely to hear showtunes or three-bar blues than hard bop, or it will cede completely and convert to a sports bar within two years.

I'm not sure why, but Grand Rapids simply refuses to support live jazz. And personally, I don't see that trend changing anytime soon. Shall we count the recent failures? The B.O.B. just announced last week that they plan to pull the plug on the Steve Talaga Trio -- one of the best-known local jazz ensembles working today -- who have been playing a regular Wednesday night gig at Crush for a few months now. Have you been out to support them? I know I haven't. Before that, the B.O.B. quietly cut out their WGVU Jazz Nights @ The B.O.B., and the public outcry was less than deafening. Friday Nights @ the GRAM used to feature exclusively jazz artists, and now brings in folk musicians and cabaret performers. Then you've got the often-lamented deaths of the Rhythm Kitchen Cafe and Dr. J's Jazz Coffeehouse, both of which (at least on paper) would be fabulous additions to our dream of a downtown. But why lament? If they would have been able to consistently bring butts through the door, they'd still be open. If all the people lamenting now were in there eating dinner three or four times a month or buying cappucinos regularly, they wouldn't have anything to lament.

As someone who's worked in the bar scene, with different nights being different "themed", i can tell you that unless you promote and market those nights, and do it well, you're never going to be able to sustain a crowd. That being said, i didn't even know there was a Trio at Crush on wednesday nights. I would've never even guessed it as I view Crush as a club, nothing more, and for the most part the BOB doesn't promote it as much more. You'd need to get a company/bar that can financially support an on going marketing campaign to get the RSC thing to work I think.

As someone who's worked in the bar scene, with different nights being different "themed", i can tell you that unless you promote and market those nights, and do it well, you're never going to be able to sustain a crowd. That being said, i didn't even know there was a Trio at Crush on wednesday nights. I would've never even guessed it as I view Crush as a club, nothing more, and for the most part the BOB doesn't promote it as much more. You'd need to get a company/bar that can financially support an on going marketing campaign to get the RSC thing to work I think.

I agree. Promoting is hard in this town. You have to follow all these strict rules for submitting ads in the various news papers in GR and surrounding, and restaurant/club owners have their rules and regs about advertising at the physical site as well as ontheir websites. I mean, it can be done...but someitmes you gotta jump through hoops. Still...it's worth it if you really want your act/gig whatever to get noticed. This comes from experience working with a little entertainment business here in GR and having to do all this line of stuff for them. :)

Where did you get that rendering? Is there anything larger?

You know, I don't remember where it came from originally. I think it was in the Press or Biz Journal during the "voting" process, and I just clipped it from there. Scouring the old threads on this project, this was the best rendering that anyone could get a hold of. :( Supposedly we will see new renderings soon.

And as far as jazz goes, I think the audience for it in this town is pretty small. I sorta like jazz, but not a lot :blush: I guess it depends on what kind of jazz is being played. We went to Rythm Kitchen all the time for Junior Valentine, who is definitely not jazz. I don't think we need another sports bar though, that's for sure. Especially with the possibility of BW3, and Woods Lounge and McFaddens coming on line, which will have a sports bar "feel" (from what I gather).

McFaddens coming on line, which will have a sports bar "feel" (from what I gather).

Only saturday during games and sunday and possibly during the diner rush. After 8 (or whenever the DJ comes on) all 40 some odd plasmas will be showing whatever music video goes to the song being played...

/just sayin'

• 2 weeks later...

Archived