Two West Fulton - RSC/Second Story Prop.

GRDadof3

The B.O.B. just announced last week that they plan to pull the plug on the Steve Talaga Trio -- one of the best-known local jazz ensembles working today -- who have been playing a regular Wednesday night gig at Crush for a few months now. Have you been out to support them?

I would if it wasn't at crush.

I think with a better suited venue good live jazz can thrive in GR

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aha! I had a feeling there was going to be an announcement this week:

City Centre project moves forward

Friday, November 11, 2005

By Chris Knape

The Grand Rapids Press

GRAND RAPIDS -- Developers hoping to build a mixed-use complex at the site of the old City Centre parking ramp have reached a deal with the city giving them until Jan. 31, 2007, to get tenants and residents lined up.

http://www.mlive.com/business/grpress/inde...5610.xml&coll=6

Hopefully they don't need the full 14 months. And reservations can start within 90 days, that means we'll see better renderings at the Nov 22nd planning commission meeting :thumbsup:

Do we have a mole who can get them first? :ph34r: Otherwise, we'll have to hope they're posted here. I don't think the city commission puts renderings in their agendas like the Planning Commission does :(

The city commission will sometimes put renderings in their packets on line. Next to Riverhouse and the Marriott, this is the project I am looking forward to the most.

An article in the Business Journal about this project, with NO pictures <_<

Some interesting details that maybe weren't covered before:

82,000 sq ft +/- residential, 11 stories

32,000 sq ft+/- commercial (retail), 2 stories

Retail facing Division

City will restrict what retail that goes in (to some extent)

149 public parking spaces + parking for the project itself

$24 million total

Meeting to discuss tomorrow at City Hall. If this is successful, I think it might do more for downtown than a lot of other projects on the docket.

http://www.grbj.com/GRBJ/Nav/Login.htm?Art...0-FB4122014EF9}

I'd be more concerned if it was a lesser developer like Rockford Construction or Azzar. But Second Story has a proven track record of success, so it should be developed as planned. And if the city wants to pave it and make a few dollars on it, let them so it will shut some of the critics up that complain of no parking.

Oh man, Heartwell wants to pave the lot and use if for parking until construction begins, probably in a year

Argh!!!! My hot button just got pushed. :angry:

This is ridiculous. You know what; there was a surface level parking lot there before. It was called the 1st level of the old parking garage. Despite the wool pulled over the public's eyes, that garage was in sound condition. Look at how hard it was for Pitsch to tear it down. If there were concerns about the structure on the upper levels they could have allowed the public to park on the first level only.

I still don't understand why the city wasted tax payer dollars to tear down that garage so they could sell the lot for private development. They should have sold that lot, as-is, where-is, how-is. Let the private developer pay to tear it down. It's one of the highest profile intersections in the city. I can't imagine that a developer couldn't work it into the pro-forma to tear it down.

So, now we want to waste more tax payer dollars to pay to have it paved and used short term as a parking lot. If you want to park on it, leave it grass and park on it. That's how they do it at the fairground.

Nitro

• 1 month later...

Can't believe I had to dig back all the way to November for this thread. Sure wish we'd see something. Here is a picture of the model that was built for this proposal looking Southeast on Louis Street (posted in the GRBJ year end run-down):

78010475_6cb12897c5_o.jpg

(In case some of you hadn't seen it)

Archived