Two West Fulton - RSC/Second Story Prop.

GRDadof3

This is the first time on this site, but I'm just wondering is this Two West Fulton site the same as the Tall House @ 45 Ionia?

...and it's a little confusing because the group doing the Tall House is called "Division & Fulton LLC," also the group behind one of the unchoosen City Centre proposals.

Gawd, I hope not. That pharmacy idea was terrible. Slap a suburban big box store on one of the main corners of downtown. I would have chained myself to the ground, er somethin' if that had happened.

Joe

Aww, com'on Joe. You didn't like the corner drive-thru window? :lol:

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gawd, I hope not. That pharmacy idea was terrible. Slap a suburban big box store on one of the main corners of downtown. I would have chained myself to the ground, er somethin' if that had happened.

I hope not either, we already have a downtown pharmacy, called Diplomat Specialty Pharmacy on Fulton. It is locally owned and operated. We do not want some suburban chain coming in and ruining yet another locally owned business.

Could this billion dollar development cause this project to change or is it still going to be that 10 or 11 story building from awhile back? I wouldn't mind seeing something a little more grandiose at this corner. That metropolitan project you guys came up with last year for this spot was really cool.

...and it's a little confusing because the group doing the Tall House is called "Division & Fulton LLC," also the group behind one of the unchoosen City Centre proposals.

I thought tall house was the development Rockford Construction was doing right next to the arena on Ionia Ave? The development you are talking about is south of there on Ionia, next to Purple East. Or do I have my developments mixed up? :blush:

I thought tall house was the development Rockford Construction was doing right next to the arena on Ionia Ave? The development you are talking about is south of there on Ionia, next to Purple East. Or do I have my developments mixed up? :blush:

Oops, you're right Prankster. I'm just confusing myself now. So many developments! :D

I see that there is now a St. Mary's Pharmacy on Fulton as well. Close to Brian's Books. Down with CVS and it's suburban look. ;)

Joe

I hope not either, we already have a downtown pharmacy, called Diplomat Specialty Pharmacy on Fulton. It is locally owned and operated. We do not want some suburban chain coming in and ruining yet another locally owned business.

• 2 weeks later...

Was driving down divisoin and fulton and saw news8 doing a broadcast there maybe an announcement on where this project is going soon maybe? :whistling:

That might be the story that PictureMichigan was referring to coming up at 5:00 PM on WOODTV8, in the Market/Fulton thread.

Just so people aren't confused, it sounds like the Park Place Condominiums are "officially" dead. They were the ones that were proposed by Bob Tol behind the JA Building at Fulton & Division. It's buried in this good news article about Atwell Hicks moving to 140 Monroe downtown:

http://www.mlive.com/mbusinessreview/west/...170.xml&coll=12

A picture.

http://www.design-plus.com/Images/Large/Po...ark%20Place.jpg

I don't think this comes as a surprise to anyone.

rumor has it Tol single handedly keeps many of the local sign shops in Grand Rapids richly profitable.

Instead of reusing the old signs on different properties, they just sit and rot in the ground as the local media provides free advertising and somebody else shows up with a sac o cash...... and then Tol buys more signs.

Brilliant.

rumor has it Tol single handedly keeps many of the local sign shops in Grand Rapids richly profitable.

Instead of reusing the old signs on different properties, they just sit and rot in the ground as the local media provides free advertising and somebody else shows up with a sac o cash...... and then Tol buys more signs.

Brilliant.

Cummings said they want to break ground in January, if not sooner.

Said GR is the biggest in the state for new developments.

Yah, I thought so too... Its almost deja vu. What was so new that channel 8 reported? I think Channel 8 is trying to ride this Grand Rapids downtown development wave while they can.

Like DSchoon said, their Project X pipeline dried up, so they threw out the words "local developer" in their previews to get their 6:00 PM ratings back up. :lol:

Maybe it's going to benefit Grand Rapids... A lot of people will see that peice and think, "wow thoes guys at WOOD 1300 didn't know what the hell they were talking about." or "I'm gonna go downtown to see what all this fuss is about." Maybe this will get more people motivated to come here and see whats going on.

yes, but my worry is that 8 so desperate for this kind of story that brings high interest and ratings, they are resorting to somewhat yellow journalism tactics, that will not pan out, and make us all look like a bunch of dreamers. I also worry about all this investigative stuff about developement scaring potential developers away because they don't want to have to worry about the nosey, and prying local media. I can very much see that!

• 1 month later...

Rather than languishing, it sounds like things are progressing ahead on this project, as mentioned in this morning's Business Journal:

http://www.grbj.com/GRBJ/ArticleArchive/20...rnal+Report.htm

(buried near the bottom)

City Economic Development Director Susan Shannon said Two West Fulton has completed its due diligence on the site and has submitted a new conceptual design that adds 10,000 more square feet of retail space to the mixed-use project.

It was very disappointing when the Rhythym Kitchen closed. I loved hearing Jr. Valentine and other great groups play. It seemed crowded every time I went so maybe its demise had less to do with the music than some other reason? It would be great to have something open up similar to that !!

sorry, got a little :offtopic: with this . . . .

It was very disappointing when the Rhythym Kitchen closed. I loved hearing Jr. Valentine and other great groups play. It seemed crowded every time I went so maybe its demise had less to do with the music than some other reason? It would be great to have something open up similar to that !!

sorry, got a little :offtopic: with this . . . .

It closed during the Monroe "Mall" construction. I miss it too. It was like the old Intersection, but smaller with different music.

And to keep it on topic... I think a new Rhythm Kitchen Cafe at 2 W Fulton would be an excellent idea!

in the recent grbj they mention that "due dilligence" has been completed and the initial plans were revised to include an extra 10,000 sr ft of retail space and hoped to conclude on the deal soon.

i wonder if there is going to be extra retail space if the height potentially gets larger? or less condos? and if we'll see a final design on the building soon as well?

Archived