Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mcheiss

Favorite Downtown in Arkansas

mcheiss    1

Out of every single downtown in Arkansas, I would like to know which is your favorite. I'm sure Little Rock will get a lot of support since it is obviously the biggest, but there are still some very nice downtowns out there.

For me, it's a contest between Fayetteville and Hot Springs. Both seem not to big and are very nice in many ways.

Mith242    69

I, being obviously biased will pick Fayetteville. Just in part because some of the other cities I don't know their downtowns quite as well. I did like what parts of Hot Springs I saw earlier in the year, but I didn't go looking all over their downtown area either. It's been way too many years since I was around part of Little Rock's downtown. I think there was still some crime in certain areas, but you could tell it was getting better back then. There probably more to do in Little Rock's downtown. The only other city whose downtown I am familiar with at all is Pine Bluff's. Don't guess I'll be picking that one. But I'd think that Fayetteville, Hot Springs, and Little Rock all have very nice downtown areas. Other cities probably do too but I don't know for certain.

Rural King    1

I've ever been to many aside West Memphis that I can recall, so I'm not going to be able to base this on first person experience. Excluding Little Rock for the sake of it, I would have to say Fort Smith or Fayetteville from what I've seen posted on the forum.

mcheiss    1

Hey Rural King, have you been to the Music Museum in West Memphis?

I went there a few years ago and couldn't believe how nice a museum it was for being in such a poor downtown. It is a very enjoyable and cultural downtown.

Rural King    1

^ Nope. Just driven through it. Its definately a downtown that has seen better days. I didn't even know there was a Music Museum down there. Can you tell me some more about it? It can be in a PM so we don't get the thread off track.

mcheiss    1

^ Nope. Just driven through it. Its definately a downtown that has seen better days. I didn't even know there was a Music Museum down there. Can you tell me some more about it? It can be in a PM so we don't get the thread off track.

Whoops, I got West Memphis confused with Helena. Sorry about that. The Music Museum down there is all about the blues and such. It really is a nice museum.

lefty    0

Well I'm going to have to pick Fayetteville. Simply because I know about everything it has to offer and where that stuff is.

GSCullum    0

Little Rock, by and far. But it's almost in a category of its own. Of the more comparable cities, I'd have to say Hot Springs, but only because I'm not very familiar with Fayetteville.

johnnydr87    1

Aside from Little Rock, which is obviously and undoubtedly (unless you're a pathological liar) the best downtown everything-wise :-D, then I'd say Hot Springs. It has many dimensions....Bath house row, stores, icons, and its completely enclosed by mountains! You can cut through buildings to a hiking trail several times along downtown. Plus, there's a promenade elevated on one of the mountainsides where you can walk parallel to downtown street, looking at it from above.

Arkansawyer    0

Out of every single downtown in Arkansas, I would like to know which is your favorite. I'm sure Little Rock will get a lot of support since it is obviously the biggest, but there are still some very nice downtowns out there.

For me, it's a contest between Fayetteville and Hot Springs. Both seem not to big and are very nice in many ways.

Aside from Little Rock, Hot Springs

NCB    1

My favorite downtown in AR would be Little Rock's.

Texarkana's downtown is nice as well, plenty of old historic buildings mixed in with the new development.

I've never been there, but from the pictures I've been seeing, Fayetteville looks like it has a beautiful downtown area.

Aporkalypse    1

1. Little Rock/North Little Rock

2. Hot Springs

3. Ft Smith

4. Fayetteville (a decade ago it was behind the rest)

5. Pine Bluff (have to love the murals)

6. El Dorado (which believe it or not, has a classy little square and some decent-sized buildings nearby

I tried to keep it to recognizable cities, otherwise Eureka would have to be in there.

Mith242    69

1. Little Rock/North Little Rock

2. Hot Springs

3. Ft Smith

4. Fayetteville (a decade ago it was behind the rest)

5. Pine Bluff (have to love the murals)

6. El Dorado (which believe it or not, has a classy little square and some decent-sized buildings nearby

I tried to keep it to recognizable cities, otherwise Eureka would have to be in there.

The murals in Pine Bluff are interesting but I think there's so much else not going for it like all the empty buildings and such. But there is still potential there if the city could ever get anything going. I have heard good things about El Dorado also. I've never been there though.

Aporkalypse    1

The murals in Pine Bluff are interesting but I think there's so much else not going for it like all the empty buildings and such. But there is still potential there if the city could ever get anything going. I have heard good things about El Dorado also. I've never been there though.

You can't make history from scratch, which is why all of these towns are so cool. They all have great potential. Fayetteville is nearing maxing that out some as the limited number of buildings will all be renovated soon. New buildings will continue to add some but the character really comes from the old buildings.

I lived in Eldo for a year one month. :)

The downtown square is really quite nice and well done.

Mith242    69

You can't make history from scratch, which is why all of these towns are so cool. They all have great potential. Fayetteville is nearing maxing that out some as the limited number of buildings will all be renovated soon. New buildings will continue to add some but the character really comes from the old buildings.

True, that is something that does hold northwest Arkansas back a bit. Fayetteville actually is old by Arkansas standards but it wasn't very big though most of that time compared to other cities in Arkansas. Not sure if I'll ever get down to the El Dorado area, but I'll keep their downtown area in mind if I do.

mcheiss    1

I've seen that square in Southern Living or something like that. Really has a somewhat european flair to it. I had forgotten about El Dorado.